Another swimming question

lving4today

I'm aware of the risks of swimming before your new tattoo is healed, but how bad really is the ocean for a tattoo that's a little over a week old?

Just got it Friday, but my friends moving to Hawaii next Tuesday so they want to do a boat trip on Sunday. Normally I'd sit it out, but she's leaving for good and can't just sit at home. It's on the back of my thigh so the sun won't be an issue, but ill definitely be swimming.

Will it really be that terrible if its during the Peeling stage and covered?

It's maybe a little risky - but from my own experience, I have been swimming in the sea with a 7 day old tattoo that was in the middle of peeling, and I had no problems whatsoever. I cleaned it off with fresh water afterwards, made sure it wasnt sandy, then put some bacitracin on it, it was absolutely fine! No problems at all. Everyone is different...its up to you to give it a shot or not!

Don't mean to jack your thread, but I have a similar question. I'll be visiting my folks at the end of the week, they have a pool, and at some point we'll definitely be going to the beach. As of now its 11 days old and I have one small scab that I think should be gone by the time I get there, anybody think I'll have issues with sunscreen? I'll most likely stay out of the chlorinated pool and the lake is still too cold so I'm really just worried about the sun.

I'm aware of the risks of swimming before your new tattoo is healed, but how bad really is the ocean for a tattoo that's a little over a week old?

Just got it Friday, but my friends moving to Hawaii next Tuesday so they want to do a boat trip on Sunday. Normally I'd sit it out, but she's leaving for good and can't just sit at home. It's on the back of my thigh so the sun won't be an issue, but ill definitely be swimming.

Will it really be that terrible if its during the Peeling stage and covered?

why can't you just spend the time with her & have fun without swimming ?

I wouldn't risk a lifetime long tattoo for one a dip in the water.

I always avoid chlorinated pools, but not so much lakes and oceans. It seems to me the real danger is all those nasty chemicals. No one stops showering after getting a tattoo, so I don't think the issue is water, but more what you're dipping your tattoo into.

And of course I wouldn't advise submerging a fresh tattoo, wait until its decently peeled (at least a week).

I wouldn't advocate this or make it a habit cause chlorine is nasty, but I have swam in chlorinated pools twice in the last year a couple days after getting a tattoo and they both healed fine. Keep in mind both were palm sized one shot tattoos, and I could tell right away I wasn't going to have much issue. I made sure to put some aquaphor to create a barrier and wrapped with saran then put a head band over saran to keep in place. In hindsight that was complete overkill and unneccesary. In fact the spider tattoo on the IG feed was healed in less than a week. Like said before if you are a mess of scabs, best to stay out of the pool, but I have always found the sun to be more of an enemy than the water. That being said, everyone heals different and every tattoo heals different, but once you have a few tattoos, you get to know at what point your tattoo is done being vulnerable to the elements, there is nothing magic that happends two weeks after your tattoo.

I wouldn't advocate this or make it a habit cause chlorine is nasty, but I have swam in chlorinated pools twice in the last year a couple days after getting a tattoo and they both healed fine. Keep in mind both were palm sized one shot tattoos, and I could tell right away I wasn't going to have much issue. I made sure to put some aquaphor to create a barrier and wrapped with saran then put a head band over saran to keep in place. In hindsight that was complete overkill and unneccesary. In fact the spider tattoo on the IG feed was healed in less than a week. Like said before if you are a mess of scabs, best to stay out of the pool, but I have always found the sun to be more of an enemy than the water. That being said, everyone heals different and every tattoo heals different, but once you have a few tattoos, you get to know at what point your tattoo is done being vulnerable to the elements, there is nothing magic that happends two weeks after your tattoo.

Yea you're probably right. I figure its gonna be a one time day of swimming and then ill go back to lettin it heal properly.

• 2 months later...

Isn't one of the most popular tattoo after care programs saltwater based? H2O Ocean. Just sayin'....

Personally I consider myself a fish and no where near a tattoo expert but I don't see that harm there is in a quick dip to cool off. As long as your not soaking and getting wrinkle finger.

Personally I think it would be a bigger issue if it was a chlorine swimming pool.