Chest pieces on ladies.

hollyjoybee

As a 48 year old woman (with a 72 year old mother) I can say that the skin on my chest has degraded quite a bit and the skin on my mother's chest has degraded quite a bit more. By degraded I mean it is spotty with dark spots that have too much pigmentation and white spots that have lost pigmentation plus a general redness for some unknown reason probably having to do with being of Scandanavian descent and living in California. Not sure what that would mean for a tattoo, but more does happen to the chest than just sagging of tits.

The aging skin issues are the same for men though too...

on that note, even men get sagging tits when they're old enough ;)

Birds and roses are pretty, sure, but why should we have to limit ourselves to stuff that's "pretty"??

So true!!! It's like the plain skin world decided that if we dare, as women, to get our chests tattooed, that it must fall within the realm of 'pretty and feminine'. I say fuck that. As long as it suits the shape of your chest, go for it.

It's not so much that a bird with outstretched wings is "pretty" but it fits nice there. The breasts kind of complicate a woman's chest. As for roses, I always think of that photo from the 1920s or something with the woman who had the black roses. They really looked good. She had a lot of other things too, but the roses were really striking.

i find it attractive as long as its done in proportion, and its good work. for some reason ive seen really awkward chest tattoos where the content is too small or it doesnt follow the feminine shape, if youre already tattooed i wouldnt worry about your mum she secretly likes your work im sure

• 2 years later...

That swan one is damn impressive.

Edited to add:

So true!!! It's like the plain skin world decided that if we dare, as women, to get our chests tattooed, that it must fall within the realm of 'pretty and feminine'. I say fuck that. As long as it suits the shape of your chest, go for it.

Completely agreed. For a long time, I wasn't the hugest fan of chest tattoos on women, so I kinda see it like this: getting your chest tattooed is a hard-as-fuck, baller move (for men or women), and I like the idea of using that to enhance or play off my more feminine side. Women tend to have more dimension to their torso, so there's a real opportunity to let the form educate the design.

Roxx does this very well, I think. Seeing her work has really turned my opinion on the matter around. (The last link is a backpiece, but I think it could've worked wonderfully as a chestpiece.)

But if any lady wants to get a gnarly battle royale on your chest/torso, then go for it; I will support the fuck out of that.

I clearly haven't been looking in the right places! WOW!! I often get jealous looking at brilliant full on torso pieces on men, having not ever (yeah , ever) seen something like that on a woman. Everything I had seen lead me to believe that our magnificent bodies (all shapes and sizes, a woman's body is pretty bloody fabulous in my eyes) some how hindered us in some way when it came to such pieces. As though we were somehow limited because our breasts broke up the torso too much. Above breast / chest tattoo. Sternum. Under bust. Some torso work only. Wow, not at all, how wrong was I to ever let what I had seen, become all there was.

So brilliant!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read of women who say they want to get completely covered with tattoos, but say that they will never cover their breasts. That’s fine and I understand it. They may feel like that area is too precious to cover, or fear gravity issues. To my eyes, at some point when you get a lot of coverage on the front, leaving the breasts bare looks odd, incomplete. In some ways it perhaps features the breasts too much, leaving glaring white boobs popping out of a dark field of ink. Perhaps this is less of an issue for dark skinned people, but f you are light skinned, it is a consideration.

But I have always admired women who get body suits that include the breasts. I feel like it is a powerful commitment to go all the way there, and I feel in a way that it embraces our feminine assets as part of us, rather than setting them apart.

I am drawn to Japanese style tattooing, and would love to be covered in that way. I love the look of the total frontal coverage with the munwari (open stripe of clear skin down the middle), and I think covering the breasts also offers some interesting design opportunities that take advantage of the shape of the breast and nipples, which is also seen in female Japanese body suits. There are some interesting photos out there that I will post if I can find them.

On the other hand, the picture posted above (which is absolutely stunning!) shows another approach that is equally attractive: simply using the skin on the chest as a canvas for a huge cohesive idea and incorporating, but not necessarily featuring the breasts.

In any case, if I ever do my front, I would go all the way and include the girls.