"Tattoo Collector" ?????

else

So...

When I was getting my snake yesterday both Paco and another tattooer that was there referred to me as a "tattoo collector".

To be frank, I was a little startled by it!

I haven't thought of myself as a "collector" at all... Just a person who likes tattoos, has gotten some, and intends to get more!! LOL!!

What constitutes a "collector"?

What does that really mean?

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the title. But I'm not sure exactly where that discomfort comes from.

@else, I think you're on the right track. I think "collector" has at times been deemed holier than thou. To get good tattoos from lots of different people, and therefore think we are better than the people who just walk in off the street or are content with their local artist.

Semantically, that is a collector.

Obviously, that's all a farce and untrue if we delve into the motivation behind it.

While, sure, I believe those people exist who get up on their tat-soap-box, I think the majority (like y'all rad kids here on LST) just like getting good tattoos and enjoy meeting new people.

I am not comfortable with the title either. Even though, it's true, I collect on a certain level. I ain't better than nobody else.

You are turning into this guy...

MV5BMTQ4NTU3OTE3OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTkxMjA3Mg@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Seriously though, generally I have heard it used to signify someone who keeps getting tattooed, different than the regular Joe getting one or two.

- - - Updated - - -

@else, I think you're on the right track. I think "collector" has at times been deemed holier than thou. To get good tattoos from lots of different people, and therefore think we are better than the people who just walk in off the street or are content with their local artist.

Obviously, that's all a farce and untrue if we delve into the motivation behind it.

While, sure, I believe those people exist who get up on their tat-soap-box, I think the majority (like y'all rad kids here on LST) just like getting good tattoos and enjoy meeting new people.

I am not comfortable with the title either. Even though, it's true, I collect on a certain level. I ain't better than nobody else.

I prefer the title Tattoo Hoarder.

@else I agree, sometimes it feels like a dirty word. I think it was used negatively in one or two of the last sparrow interviews and I would like to hear an artist's perspective on clients who travel to collect from a variety of artists. Are we a pain in the ass?

During my 4 most recent tattoos the tattooer has mentioned feeling a little more pressure, a little anxiety even, about putting something next to or near the other tattoos I have.

Maybe I should get a couple bad ones to put them at ease!!! ;)

I don't mind the term at all, it only gets douchey when you act like a douche about it, as if having tattoos from only big name artists makes you better than other people, or means you know more than them. I collect tattoos, from people I've worked with, some big names and other artists who are just starting out.

So...

When I was getting my snake yesterday both Paco and another tattooer that was there referred to me as a "tattoo collector".

To be frank, I was a little startled by it!

I haven't thought of myself as a "collector" at all... Just a person who likes tattoos, has gotten some, and intends to get more!! LOL!!

What constitutes a "collector"?

What does that really mean?

I'm not sure that I'm comfortable with the title. But I'm not sure exactly where that discomfort comes from.

Hmmmm...as far as you go, I think I'd just stick with "hot chick with most excellent tattoos"!

I guess it could be used as a pejorative, or as a neutral descriptor, but personally, I just think of myself as a guy who happens to have some tattoos.

I agree with this 100%, and just so you know, I just refer to y'all as nerds. Myself included.

During my 4 most recent tattoos the tattooer has mentioned feeling a little more pressure, a little anxiety even, about putting something next to or near the other tattoos I have.

Maybe I should get a couple bad ones to put them at ease!!! ;)

Of course, if you're adding their ink to some great ink you already have, you're paying them a compliment...

I definitely put myself in the 'collector' category, in as much as there's a bunch of people I definitely want pieces by, but I'm the only one who cares out of my friends and I don't really talk about it outside of this community, I just get them done when the opportunities arise.

I'm also planning to/have got a bunch of pieces by my favourite couple of artists and shops and that's unlikely to change unless I move somewhere else in which case I'll likely do the same wherever that is...

I don't mind the term at all, it only gets douchey when you act like a douche about it, as if having tattoos from only big name artists makes you better than other people, or means you know more than them. I collect tattoos, from people I've worked with, some big names and other artists who are just starting out.

this^

In my mind, a "collector" is someone who is serious about what they get and who they let do it.

And as far as I have perceived regarding the artist's perspective on the term, when I've been in a shop and showing my previous work - when one artist said the word "collector", two other artists stopped what they were doing to come over and see. They were genuinely interested.

this^

In my mind, a "collector" is someone who is serious about what they get and who they let do it.

And as far as I have perceived regarding the artist's perspective on the term, when I've been in a shop and showing my previous work - when one artist said the word "collector", two other artists stopped what they were doing to come over and see. They were genuinely interested.

"hey look at this guy's skin, its like instagram but instead of on my phone its right here in front of me."

Last time I was getting tattooed one of the other artists in the shop referred to me as "oh, a collector body!"

I don't have a problem with the term collector really, but as someone said "nerd" is more descriptive. I care a lot about tattoos and my body has a finite area so I care about what I put on it and who does the work.

I've had a similar experience. I was at a neighborhood bar and ran into the apprentice from a local shop where I've been tattooed a couple times. While we were talking she referred to me as a "collector." I said something about only having four tattoos, but she just shook her head and said, "You're a collector." I'll take it.

As plenty of others have pointed out, the term can come off as uppity at times, but it's also useful to describe a certain approach to getting tattooed.