"Tattoo Collector" ?????

else

If I'm honest, I think the only kind of "collecting" that I really struggle with is the kind that implies that there are maybe a couple people who do The Best [tigers, lady heads, insert your subject and style of choice here] and that you are somehow falling short if you don't make the time, effort or money to get to those people.  While I understand that there are highly specialized tattooers who are justifiably sought after...my hourly wage is modest, most of them will be out of my reach forever, and I still want to get tattooed.  And more than once every five years.  It's also possible I'm creating a straw man. But it does seem like a social media -fuelled thing. On the other hand, it really doesn't matter what anyone else does.

Edited by polliwog

On 6/13/2016 at 4:05 PM, Mark Bee said:

I'd love to collect watches. Way too pricey for me, though. Instead, I've been collecting fountain pens (new and antique) for the last few years. I must have a thing for sharp instruments and ink.

Before I discovered that getting tattooed is the best, I thought I might collect miniature books. Also stupid expensive. I have one.

@polliwog All hobbies are expensive haha.

Just understand what you like and what makes a good tattoo good. I believe that a tattoo is defined as much by the experience as the technical/artistic outcome - and for some, more so. Like you said, who cares what others think, let them have their opinions. In the end, if you like what you have and had a good time, that's it.

Edited by sighthound