Exercise/Fitness Thread

Tight-Lines

I looked it up and got sent to a "Colon Cleansing Forum"... Im not sure why there needs to be an entire forum dedicated to people bowel movements, but what the hell.

ahahaha!!! colon cleansing....eewwww! isagenix is deffinately not a colon cleanse! heres the site:

Accelerate healthy weight loss!

hey maybe there are some strange people out there that feel the need to talk about their poop on a forum!!!!?

I have a few different runs that I like to do. Each with there own times to complete. The one path that I like to take that usually takes me 40 min, I was able some how to cut it down 7 min a few days ago!! SO that means I now have a new goal of keeping that run down to 33 min from now on. Oh why did I have to up my own ante LOL

I decided I was spending too much time inside the gym with barbells, squat racks etc. instead of freeing myself up and heading outside to enjoy the sunshine (even in Ireland we get at least a couple of nice days for the summer). Been grabbing the kettlebells the past few days and heading outside and doing some conditioning stuff.

Lots of sets of swings, clean and jerks, snatches and turkish get-ups.

Kettlebells are pretty much in the mainstream now, but if any of you guys are unfamilliar ... - http://www.dragondoor.com/ is one of the bigger kettlebell sites.

Four days of reverse pyramid heavy weight training with a Crossfit influence and a "Bodyflow" class on Sundays (mix of yoga,pilates,etc). I've been going to the gym with a co-worker and I have to say, it's awesome having a workout partner to spot your form and keep you motivated. At some point in the future, we might switch to a more BJJ/boxing-based workout (my highschool friend owns a Gracie Juijitsu gym in my neighborhood). I like the idea of real-world strength; it's nice to look good with a shirt off, but it's better to be able to do something with it.

You pretty much nailed the perfect workout, and way to do it.

I worked out for 3 years straight, no partying, with a super strict diet of carbohydrates, lean beef, chicken, tuna, egg whites, vegetables, almonds, and proteins (casein, and whey). I got to the point where I felt I was too big, and my 181 lbs at 5"10 was unnecessary and very expensive to mainting. Nutrition is so much money, and eating healthy, plus taking vitamins and supplements. I was spending close to 350$ month on groceries and about 80-90$ every few months from taking vitamins and proteins.

After a year, I decided to cut down my weight and get into something that works the heart, makes you lean, and all body workout. I was looking into jiu-jutsu but found it was too pricey for me. Real world applicable, HELL YEAH, but maybe when I'm older and make more money I live close to a Dallas-Gracie Jiu Jutsu gym also. I did some research and was looking into crossfitness style gyms, I wasn't really into the whole competitive fit contests they push at their gyms. After really studying more important aspects of working out, it boiled down to natural movement, resistance, and high intensity cardio. I found boxing, and I'm glad I did. The training sessions are tough, they work every part of you're muscle, and training is really fun. I like the variety of workouts you can do in boxing. A routine for me is usually three, 3 min rounds of shadow boxing, heavy bag, speed bag, double end bag, and if my coach isn't busy, hitting gloves. Once a week is usually conditioning day, and you do some work! A typical boxing workout lasts about 3.0 hrs for me, when I first got into it, I could barely last an hour due to my previous bulky state.

I think boxing is really fun, and not over priced to do. I wish I had a training partner, that is another factor of reaching goals with a friend is a good motivator to push you to go, and stay in shape. I went form 181lbs to 154-155 lbs in about 6 months of training. I feel a lot more flexible, and agile. If I get burnt out on boxing I go skate at the park.

Nutrition side, I stay away from anything that has fructose syrup, high concentrate sugar, and trans fat. Depending if it's a workout day for me, I try to eat a little bit of carbs in the morning, some fruit, egg whites or whole wheat cereal with water & orange juice. Lunch usually consist of a mix of proteins like chicken breast, protein bar. I noticed a huge different in how I feel when I started getting into shape, and eating healthy. I didn't get sick as much, my energy levels were high throughout the day, and I find it a good stress reliever and something productive to do.

If anyone ever needs a work out plan or critique on meal plans I can help. I find this site BodyBuilding Dungeon very useful, they have great workout programs, nutrition plans, and all kind of fitness people post on there.

I was CrossFit certified (the Level 1 cert plus a few of the speciality certs- Olympic lifting, Gymnastics) for a few years up until they required you to re-certify.

To me it's a potentially very programme for novices who come along in good health and have no major imbalances or injuries. In a short space of time the trainee is exposed to a wide range of barbell work, kettlebell stuff, gymnastics, running, rowing etc. Factor in the volume of work and combine that with an improved diet and most new people experience some pretty good gains in a relatively short space of time.

That said, in the medium to long term I think the randomised nature of CrossFit programming means that many people begin to plateau. You will make strength gains, but only to a point on CrossFit programming, for example. Most of the guys I started training with when CrossFit was new to Ireland have now moved on to tailoring their programming to their specific needs rather than shoehorning themselves into a one-size-fits-all randomised approach.

The other pitfall, going back to my mention of people being injury-free and carrying no imbalances, is that CrossFit involves quite a lot of high-rep work on movements that can lead to problems. A lot of the same guys I trained with ended up with problems ranging from achilles tendon ruptures linked to box jumps to people developing knee and shoulder problems. You're not guaranteed to get injured doing CrossFit, but I'd argue that if you do it for a long time and with intensity then chances are you are going to need a good physio as if you were doing a contact sport.

hey guys Just wanted to pop in and let you know I train for a living. I have helped a wide variety of people from overweight couch potatoes to Pro MMA fighters. I would be more than happy to answer any questions. I am NSCA certified and have a decent knowledge of diet/nutrition and supplements aswell.

That is a side effect of nitric oxide suppelements, sweating more while taking NO is pretty normal because jack3d is a thermogenic (and you're working out harder), similar to a fat burner. I use to use Superpump 250, and didn't like it as much, and found N.O. Shotgun made by VPX. I love this NO because it provides some pre-work out protein to fuel you a little bit, and would get the best pump and workouts when I would take Shotgun.

Ive been taking jacked or "jack3d" sometimes it makes me nervous because of how much i itch and sweat. Is that normal?

Im psyched we have a legit person with experience to ask questions!

costello,

If it is jacked pre workout without any other labeling then your itch is the beta alanine.

If its one of their products that included other ATP performance increasors it could be niacin(flushed feeling).

from looking at the label your paying for cafeine and beta alanine. I love beta, its linked to all sorts of benefits anaerobically. Increase Muscular Strength & Power Output, Increase Anaerobic Endurance

, Increases Aerobic EnduranceDelay Muscular Fatigue- Train Harder & Longer.

Arginine is a supplement that I think has its place but not in pre workout. Arginine is a vaso dialator, which simply means more blood will pump. This gives you that full or pumped feel for example when doing a bicep curl. What it does physiologically is tells the body that your in repair rebuild mode when in actuality your just started to overload the muscle.

In short cafeine and beta alanine are great pre workout supplements while arginine IMO should be taken after workout.

hey guys Just wanted to pop in and let you know I train for a living. I have helped a wide variety of people from overweight couch potatoes to Pro MMA fighters. I would be more than happy to answer any questions. I am NSCA certified and have a decent knowledge of diet/nutrition and supplements aswell.

Cu_Bu, question about whey protein. Overheard a trainer the other talking about it for someone post-workout -- is that something worth looking into? I'm not trying to get huge, just a little more in shape, maintain myself. Should I even bother with anything like that? Or should I just cut back on all the shitty food and booze like a regular person trying to get in shape..

Cu_Bu, question about whey protein. Overheard a trainer the other talking about it for someone post-workout -- is that something worth looking into? I'm not trying to get huge, just a little more in shape, maintain myself. Should I even bother with anything like that? Or should I just cut back on all the shitty food and booze like a regular person trying to get in shape..

well gouge I would say protein is the single most important macronutrient you can give yourself after a workout. It is so hard to get huge unless your on a heapfull of drugs. Your body will try like hell to stay homeostatic(the same) there are two exrteme states your body will become and its based on nitrogen balance. If your body has a positive nitrogen balance your body is antibolic(rebuilding or repairing muscle) IF its negative its catabolic(using muscle to achieve homeostasis) Simply Protein keeps your body antibolic. I would suggest anyone training use protein to help achieve their goals. I use a blend of casein(anticatobolic by nature) which is a slow absorbing protein and whey which is faster absorbing.

Agreed on the protein! Of all the types of supplement out there, it's the most cost-effective and beneficial one for most people's purposes. Possibly followed by something like a good quality fish oil, IMO (helps with inflammation, joints in general).

I try and get at least 1g of protein per LB bodyweight into me per day to support my training, and without having a few tubs of whey at home I don't think I would manage it. There's only so much eggs, steak, fish etc. you can afford or have time to eat. A few scoops of whey per day are fairly easy to fit in, especially if you find one that you don't mind.

When it comes to a specific product my only criteria is that I tend to shy away from the more heavily sweetened / flavoured varities which ramp up the carb context. I have enough trouble keeping my carb intake down (the biggest challenge in regulating your diet, I find - far moreso than keeping an eye on fats).

well gouge I would say protein is the single most important macronutrient you can give yourself after a workout. It is so hard to get huge unless your on a heapfull of drugs. Your body will try like hell to stay homeostatic(the same) there are two exrteme states your body will become and its based on nitrogen balance. If your body has a positive nitrogen balance your body is antibolic(rebuilding or repairing muscle) IF its negative its catabolic(using muscle to achieve homeostasis) Simply Protein keeps your body antibolic. I would suggest anyone training use protein to help achieve their goals. I use a blend of casein(anticatobolic by nature) which is a slow absorbing protein and whey which is faster absorbing.

Thanks for the info.. I'm not trying to get huge, just stay in shape and get a little muscle back on me so I can fill out t-shirts like I used to when I was a younger man. And I have no interest in taking heapfuls of drugs hahaha.. So a little protein thing post-workout sounds pretty manageable. Any recommendations on that, just whey protein??

When it comes to a specific product my only criteria is that I tend to shy away from the more heavily sweetened / flavoured varities which ramp up the carb context. I have enough trouble keeping my carb intake down (the biggest challenge in regulating your diet, I find - far moreso than keeping an eye on fats).

Beer and bread I will never give up. I stay away from sodas and "sports drinks" though, that shit is all garbage.. at least beer is natural hahaha

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone's looking for a soy and dairy/whey free protein powder, I like this one. It's vegan and raw and has no sugars or anything else added, just some plain powder to add to a smoothie or coconut milk:

Amazon.com: RAW Protein - 622g - Powder: Health & Personal Care

here's a breakdown of what IS in it:

http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/FoundationalNutrition/RAWProtein/tabid/1894/Default.aspx

Thanks Dari- my friend I train with has been looking for some veg protein options. As far as protein post-workout, I like Cytogainer-lot's of calories, BCAAs, a little bit of creatine, and tastes decent. General diet wise, I work in a cytogainer shake in the morning and post workout and three modified paleo meals. They're modified in that I include brown rice and sweet potatoes, but paleo in all other aspects as far as no salt, processed grains/carbs, lots of fruit/veg/clean meat

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

what kind of music (if any) do you guys run or work out to?

for the longest time i was just au naturale while running at the beach but now that its nippy and windy i use the gym, where i use a beatles or willie nelson playlist.

not your typical workout music, but it works for me for a long (hour or so) run.

but my new shit is drankenstein.

what kind of music (if any) do you guys run or work out to?

for the longest time i was just au naturale while running at the beach but now that its nippy and windy i use the gym, where i use a beatles or willie nelson playlist.

not your typical workout music, but it works for me for a long (hour or so) run.

but my new shit is drankenstein.

I think I'm the only person alive that doesn't listen to music when I workout.