Exercise/Fitness Thread

Tight-Lines

It seems like all we talk about is delicious food, beer, food, and other awesome things.

Why not talk about new shit we are doing to curb all this awesome food we eat.

Also a great place for tips for working out/running/any sport you do.

Personally, I know nothing about Yoga, and would like to get into that. Ive been looking at that Bikram Yoga around the bay, but have no idea if I should get into it.

Share your stuff!

Personally, I know nothing about Yoga, and would like to get into that. Ive been looking at that Bikram Yoga around the bay, but have no idea if I should get into it.

Share your stuff!

Um, no, you should not get into Bikram. You should take Intro to Yoga with Alice here:

Loka Yoga

i think i may take you up on that advice Dari!

i've been craving weight training lately. i'm trying to convince myself to take 4 days of classes at Laney, which is held on my lunch break and since Laney is right across the street from work, it's obviously not a far distance. i just don't know if it'll make me more stressed out at work or not, since i don't tend to give myself a proper lunch break. plus, i'll be sweaty for the second half of the day :/

but i'm really bad on relying on myself, and like the structure of a class that will push me. god, i miss weights. :(

I really, really, really hope you both check it out. It would also be lovely to have either in any of my classes, weds morning and fri nights would be best. But Alice is one of the most amazing teachers in the bay area, so her beginner classes are invaluable.

"Eat what ever you want and workout hard!" With that in mind I do lots of cardio and weights anywhere from four to six days a week. I run to the gym (about one and a half miles each way) workout then run home so I get at least three miles cardio. I switch up my weight routines and workouts every four to six weeks. When the weather is nice I try and get at least one long five to ten mile run in a week but my knees are not what they used to be thanks to skateboarding since I've was four. A nice run for those in the Oakland area is the frontage road from Emeryville all the way up to Richmond or any distance you prefer. Or Lake Merritt is a good one. For when it is cold I'll just add on some running in the gym on top of the round trip to and from the gym run. For those in the East Bay I use to use the Gold's Gym by Lake Merritt which is nice but about six months ago switched to the In Shape gym in Emeryville which is even better as it is way less crowded, bigger, and you can just do your deal and rarely have to wait for stuff.

Also thought I'd put up two reasonably related post in case anyone wants to check them out:

Tattooers and Yoga

and

Painful wrist due to tattooing

Then there is the blog that Jake started on Values where Dari writes a little on Yoga.

pushups, pullups, and situps about every other day combined with cardio from bike riding whenever I go anywhere since I don't have a car. working in a warehouse works my legs too from all the heavy lifting I have to do.

oh yeah, and stretching. I haven't been stretching as much recently and I can totally feel the difference in my body.

Awesome! I look forward to getting into it.

What is recommended for starting? I basically know about the Yoga mat, and that it really it. Are there special cloths I need, good food to eat before? Anything like that?

If you come to our studio, you don't even need to bring a mat, we have ones that you can borrow. Just wear comfy, stretchy clothes that you can sweat in, gym shorts and a wife appreciator work fine. You'll see dudes in some classes with their shirts off, but that's so unnecessary! My husband just reminded me that I told our friend Demian Kane that there was "no room for his nipples in my class." Just make sure that you arrive early enough to get set up, and let the teacher know it's your first class and if you have any injuries. And please try to wrap your brain around the fact that in yoga, the poses are secondary to the breath.

As far as food goes, one is traditionally supposed to have an empty stomach, which doesn't work for me at all. Just eat lightly, no burritos or pasta. And nothing too spicy, as you will be inverting, as this can cause heartburn. I usually have a light protein/meal replacer shake mixed with two small apples or a banana if I'm able to plan my day out right.

Here's a link to my classes:

http://dariloveyoga.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Exercise and fitness oh my LOL

What I like to do is some basic Chin-ups, Sit-ups and Push-ups. Usually I pick 2 of them to do every other day. I also like to do some basic stretches everyday. Then I have my heavy bag in my basement that I like to use about once a week. In the summer I like to go for nice jogs about 40min or so usually on the weekends. For winter I use my shovel to push snow to one side of my driveway then use my snow blower for one or two passes. My driveway is quite long as I live in the country. Its about 20-25 car lengths long. I am talking like mid-size cars to trucks, not those smart cars.

Now I do like my food I do try to eat healthy and what not but I am no superhero. (look at my pics in my profile and my gallery lol) I could stand to lose a few pounds. but then who couldn't lol oh well time for supper. Eat well and have fun!

I've thought about posting in this thread since it was opened, i keep going back and forth in my head. As most know i am a pastry chef so i really really love good food and even better cakes and pastries. when i go out to eat first thing i do is look at the dessert menu. that usually helps me determine what im going to eat during my meal. anyways in the exercise department growing up it was pretty non-existent and so a lazy child turned into a pretty lazy teenager and so on. its been an up hill battle for a long time. yoga doesnt seem to be doing it for me but i keep trying becasue i think maybe im just in the wrong type of class. over the summer i started walking everyday for an hour or more along with watching my calorie intake and that has really given me great results! i have to say that also getting my first tattoo over the summer really played a big part in the weight loss game because i realized that i have this beautiful piece and now i really want to take care of it and make sure it looks good forever and that means shedding the pounds. so now when i reach a new goal i let myself get a new tattoo. it gives me a goal and something that i really strive for. i love being active, i love tennis, soccer, volleyball, walking, going to the gym(occasionally because i hate being inside) horseback riding, trampoline and lots of other activities.

• 4 months later...

Four days of reverse pyramid heavy weight training with a Crossfit influence and a "Bodyflow" class on Sundays (mix of yoga,pilates,etc). I've been going to the gym with a co-worker and I have to say, it's awesome having a workout partner to spot your form and keep you motivated. At some point in the future, we might switch to a more BJJ/boxing-based workout (my highschool friend owns a Gracie Juijitsu gym in my neighborhood). I like the idea of real-world strength; it's nice to look good with a shirt off, but it's better to be able to do something with it.

Does anyone have the Nike thing you put in your shoe that tracks all of your running stats and shit? I was thinking on getting it, but Amazon reviews are mixed about it.

I've thought about it as well but get mix reviews from those I know who use it. Overall they believe it is pretty accurate unless you want and/or need it to be point on.

I've thought about it as well but get mix reviews from those I know who use it. Overall they believe it is pretty accurate unless you want and/or need it to be point on.

Its not too expensive, so I think Ill just go for it. All I need it for is GPS/Pace monitoring. Im not about to spend 350 bucks on that Garmin watch thing...

well maybe.

Its not too expensive, so I think Ill just go for it. All I need it for is GPS/Pace monitoring. Im not about to spend 350 bucks on that Garmin watch thing...

well maybe.

The watches are supposed to be pretty damn cool!!....though then you have to run with something on your wrist...... the nice thing about the nike running feature is it is already there......

My pops just got one of the Garmin things. Its got a USB drive that stays on your computer. When you get back from your run, it automatically sends all of your data to the Garmin device, and graphs/charts/compares it to your pervious runs.

Its unreal.

wow thats awesome!! Its from Garmin you say??? well I will have to do some looking into that little device. Thanks for the tip!!

i might buy one of the nike things ive been thinking about it for a while!

any way the reason im addding to this thread is because i want to know if anyone else on this forum has heard of Isagenix?

im told it s an AMerican company and i just started the 1 month cleanse last week and already have seem amazing results in pounds and inches lost.

i ask because every time i mention the name i am surprised at how many people say they know the program.

possible someone else on this forum has tried it and wants to share their experience. i think its fabulous so far and its just the challenge i needed before summer!