Exercise/Fitness Thread

Tight-Lines

I just started this today at my gym. I'm using pretty moderate weight set-up. Not too light, not too heavy. It really was a good work out. I came out huffing and puffing. I'm chunky, but I wear it mostly just in my gut. I can run a 10k no problem. I use the app for my iPhone, and it keeps track of weight, caloric intake, etc. I'm sitting at 215 right now and I stand 6'1". Trying to keep my calories around 2100 a day. Also adding in long distance runs 2 times a week. I'll let you guys know where I am in about 9 weeks.

Weight Loss Program | Full Fitness

I just started this today at my gym. I'm using pretty moderate weight set-up. Not too light, not too heavy. It really was a good work out. I came out huffing and puffing. I'm chunky, but I wear it mostly just in my gut. I can run a 10k no problem. I use the app for my iPhone, and it keeps track of weight, caloric intake, etc. I'm sitting at 215 right now and I stand 6'1". Trying to keep my calories around 2100 a day. Also adding in long distance runs 2 times a week. I'll let you guys know where I am in about 9 weeks.

Weight Loss Program | Full Fitness

Awesome, look forward to hearing how you get on!

Re: the Bulgarians as pictured in that link- they're quite a skill intensive exercise and there's room for quite a lot to go wrong. I personally wouldn't do them with a barbell behind your back at first (or ever, really)... Too hard to ditch out of if you lose balance.

My unsolicited few cents.

I was a cardio junkie for 25 years - 1 hour per day 5-7 days per week doing either the Elliptical or Spinning. Weight wise I was fine - 5'10.5", 162lbs pretty much for the past decade. Then in Apr 2012 I won a Facebook contest - got the Beachbody (makers of P90X and Insanity) program RevAbs signed by Brett Hoebel (was a Biggest Loser trainer for a year) and a Skype session with Brett. Totally changed me. In 90 days of RevAbs I took off 10+ lbs and 1.5" off the waist, and really got some good lean muscle. My core is strong. Since then, I've stuck with Beachbody programs, doing Les Mills Pump, then another round of RevAbs (different calendar), and currently doing Les Mills Combat. On deck is P90X.

At 52 years old I'm in the best shape of my life, and back in Oct 2012 I kind of got proof of the benefits of my fitness. I ran a Spartan Sprint (obstacle course) race inside Fenway Park in Boston. Did obstacles like carrying a 60lb sandbag on my shoulders climbing up and down the bleachers, raised a 150lb cement block to the rafters, plenty of burpees, carry (2) 30lb water jugs down and up a long flight of stairs in the stadium, etc. Out of 3,060 competitors, mostly in the 20's to lower 30's age group, I placed 348th overall, and 4th in my age group (50-54), and without event specific training. I get a good mix of lean muscle strength training (lower weight, higher reps) and HIIT cardio with the Beachbody programs, and they work for me. Plus, once a day I have a meal replacement shake (Shakeology) mixed with fruit, peanut butter, etc, and that aids me in keeping constant with weight and overall fitness.

In a way it's too bad, because I have some really nice home gym equipment that cost a lot of money that isn't getting much use these days. A Hoist V5 single stack weight machine, a Nordic Trac x-country skier, and Trimline treadmill, a spin bike, and a Life Fitness Elliptical. Now I use the DVD programs along with various dumbbell weights. Works for me.