Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ

slayer9019

@Makmak: Your t shirt might have stuck to it because of the lymph. I never have lymph two days after a tattoo because I leave the plastic film during one full night, so everything (the ink surplus and the lymph) goes out faster. And you might have put too much cream on it.

When people have difficulties to remove the plastic film or their clothes because they stuck to the tattoo, we advice to remove them under a lukewarm shower.

It's normal to feel like you pulled the skin off. It's the "peeling" (I can't find another word in English. In France we call that "desquamation"). It's totally normal. You can have that on the entire surface of the tattoo.

Usually, your tattoo must be intact under. If it's not and if you have some "holes", you might need some touch-ups. It doesn't meen that it's your fault. The tattooer can have tattooed too close from the surface of the skin, making all the ink go away during the peeling phase.

Just put a thin layer of cream on your tattoo, otherwise you are going to smother/stiffle it. Your skin needs to breath. If your skin remains dry, put some cream more frequently, but always a thin layer.

Many people heal without putting any cream. The skin gets dry, but there isn't a big risk to ruin the tattoo, as soon as you don't pull out the skin off during the peeling phase. Cream is only for people's comfort.

Red skin, heat and pain are the symptoms of an infection. If you have a doubt, ask a doctor.

Edited by Mym

I have a question about a recent tattoo I got around my elbow (finishing a half sleeve into a 3/4 sleeve).

It was done by a very good and reputable artist and is in greyscale only. The first two weeks it was fine, other than the immediate elbow swelling heat and pain of course that lasted about 2-3 days.

Once two weeks hit, all the outline work started to raise and go bumpy with some redness. The areas that were tattooed themselves were on and off warm when irritated from bending, rubbing and what not. I messaged the artist who told me they have never had anyone with issues ever before, and that if I was concerned I should go to my doctor.

I ordered "hustle butter" and tried that and no change. I finally went to my doctor who said it didn't look infected at all but maybe a reaction (2 weeks after is weird to me). She gave me a steroid cream and it doesn't really seem to be doing anything. It's been one month since I got the tattoo, and I have never had any issues with all my other tattoos. I messaged the artist again just asking if they could have a look at it and maybe give me their opinion or advice and they told me they were too busy, so I am not sure what to do?

TY

On 8/28/2017 at 11:30 AM, ocdcollector said:

i got these all over my leg after it was recently touched up on a few days back.

any idea what these are called?

IMG_20170829_002234.jpg

Got these bad one of of my calf leg pieces, took a a month or two to for them to finally go away. I used sandierm on it too. 

On 2/7/2018 at 6:09 PM, Mihnzek said:

I have a question about a recent tattoo I got around my elbow (finishing a half sleeve into a 3/4 sleeve).

It was done by a very good and reputable artist and is in greyscale only. The first two weeks it was fine, other than the immediate elbow swelling heat and pain of course that lasted about 2-3 days.

Once two weeks hit, all the outline work started to raise and go bumpy with some redness. The areas that were tattooed themselves were on and off warm when irritated from bending, rubbing and what not. I messaged the artist who told me they have never had anyone with issues ever before, and that if I was concerned I should go to my doctor.

I ordered "hustle butter" and tried that and no change. I finally went to my doctor who said it didn't look infected at all but maybe a reaction (2 weeks after is weird to me). She gave me a steroid cream and it doesn't really seem to be doing anything. It's been one month since I got the tattoo, and I have never had any issues with all my other tattoos. I messaged the artist again just asking if they could have a look at it and maybe give me their opinion or advice and they told me they were too busy, so I am not sure what to do?

TY

I’m not sure what’s going on with your tattoo, but I recommend going to a Dermatologist at this point. It seems like you may need a higher level of care and/or treatment than what a general practitioner can give you.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:09 PM, Mihnzek said:

TY

Hustle butter worked great for me until about five days in. Then my body decided it hated it. It just felt like burning. I switched to Eucerin and then everything settled down. Maybe you just need to find the right lotion for your body?...

• 1 month later...

Friday I got a bigger sized tattoo on the back of my thigh, right under my butt.. is this spot notorious for longer healing time? My tattoo is red and still sore.. it’s hard to not rub against things when sitting, so I was just wondering if that could be why it’s still red and sensitive.

2 hours ago, taylormarie2012 said:

Friday I got a bigger sized tattoo on the back of my thigh, right under my butt.. is this spot notorious for longer healing time? My tattoo is red and still sore.. it’s hard to not rub against things when sitting, so I was just wondering if that could be why it’s still red and sensitive.

sounds logical to me, that skin on the back thigh is pretty tender,and they do stay sore and tender for a while sometimes,

depends on the artist's method who did it and where it is on the body, and you are basically sitting on it a lot.

keep it clean and put Aveeno on it a couple times  a day.

Edited by Dan

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone I have a question, I got some work done on my arm 10 days ago, The spot for some reason was killing me while I was getting tattooed, once I took off the cling wrap the next day my arm was bright red, I will attach photo, I couldn’t tell if it was irrated or infected so I went to the doctor and they prescribed me antibiotics, I finished all them however my arm still has redness and I’m just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes usually for it to go away or anything else I should be doing. THANKS I am going to attach a photo from the day after I got it and what it looks like now.

28E85A90-5CD8-4409-965B-2EABC95FC333.jpeg

2055C0FD-E117-4BBA-B3A8-074418B3FE4A.png

16A64D4B-BA3C-414F-B190-F089FAB87AE0.png

@Makmak woah thats really red! might want to seriously talk to your artist about what products to use and how to keep your tattoos from getting so angry (hygiene, aftercare, brands to use for said care).  Secondly go to a dermatologist, any number of things could have happened or you might just be using something that is irritating the tattoo/skin.

Edited by Oiocha

• 2 months later...

I’ve been experiencing scabbing and redness a week after getting this tattoo and I’m wondering if it it could possibly be infected. I got the tattoo on vacation so contacting and visiting the artist will be a bit tricky. A little info; I wash the tattoo three times a day, place a tiny amount of ointment on during the morning and afternoon and use a small amount of coconut oil at night as it’s the only thing that has stopped me from sticking to my sheets. Most areas seem to be healing fine but I’m a bit red around the green area and the magenta / red areas at the top. Also, the green is still bleeding/leaking and appears to be white underneath? Amy help or pointers will be appreciated. 

518F1DF0-48BE-4F50-BACD-FA931359B1A7.jpeg

D0AC29F6-4D11-4A38-87CB-F6BCDF72481D.jpeg

9EA22CEA-3478-428C-90F7-C821CB246952.jpeg

6935356E-CF16-48F9-B56C-7C0B0680ABB5.jpeg

DF8820B7-6354-41BC-A14E-DA68B2CEB093.jpeg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

so i'm just a tad concerned about how my tat is healing. i've had a couple other tattoos done and they're healed over pretty well, but on this one i noticed there's a dark red section that i haven't seen on any of my other during the healing process. i do all of the steps i was given by my artist: gentle lukewarm washing with mild soap, paper towel then air dry, small amount mild unscented lotion just to cover the area, and no picking at scabs or anything. is it healing normally and i'm just paranoid or should i check in and get it looked at? 

4AF29D1E-FFAB-4988-B8CC-3C5B7B44A35C.jpeg

5F4F9D8D-EA9A-49D8-A4BA-A07F1E2CDDF6.jpeg

E79EB4E6-9BFF-48B9-B4F1-80E542D03369.jpeg

It's starting to peel so I'm guessing at least 4 or 5 days old. I agree with @SStu that if it's not sensitive or warm to the touch I wouldn't worry, but if you ARE worrying, I'd agree with @Gingerninja and see a doctor. Also, maybe it's the picture, but that doesn't look dark red to me. I've gotten redder than that from scratching a tattoo - which you should never, ever do, and I don't.

Have a long soak in a tub, a couple of adult beverages and call us in the morning!

Edited by Hogrider

• 8 months later...

My tattoo started peeling a couple days ago and the part of the triangle came off unnaturally. Now it looks strange and it has a brown coloration around the affected area that concerns me. Besides that, it doesn’t seem to have changed and the texture of the affected area looks indented and different. What’s going on?

89C55A01-5B5B-4ECE-8CBE-E887A88A1B2B.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure if anyone will read this now as it's such an old thread, but worth a go. 
I had a tattoo on the back of my calf just over a week ago now and it's still very painful, especially to walk, stand from sitting or stop/start walking, I don't know if that is just where the tattoo is tightening where it's scabbing or something else. It's the first tattoo I have in this area so all new to me. I let it dry out a few days ago as I had put too much lotion it it. Its still got the plasma coming from it and yesterday there was quite a lot - made my trouser leg quite wet! 
I phoned the non-emergency phone number here and they have advised me to phone my doctor in the next 3 days - they will open at 8:30 tomorrow morning. If I post some photos, I'm hoping for someone to be able to give their opinion on it too. 
The tattoo is black/grey but at the start of healing there was a lot of plasma/blood leaking out so the red scabbing I'm not sure if it's from that. I've been at work all week and spend all day on my feet, so not had chance to keep my leg raised. I've also added a photo of it when it was first done so you can see what it's meant to look like. 
IMG_20191013_111709.thumb.jpg.b4c19ee78eab35c90621933035f120d2.jpg
IMG_20191013_113554.thumb.jpg.e2a2f686b206a42a4b2f24c9a8509077.jpg
FB_IMG_1570961978967.thumb.jpg.734dfad5066e8e79e10260611c3a53d9.jpg

It looks infected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk