Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ

slayer9019

Hi,

I got my new tattoo 2 weeks ago today - everything was healing perfectly until this past Friday when the light blue spot you see close to the Owls feet appeared. You'll see  in the picture from Thursday night (yellow tiled background) the spot does not appear to be there. Does this look like scarring? I don't really mind it but just not sure what it is? All of my other tattoos healed perfectly fine.

IMG_1745.PNG

IMG_1744.jpg

looks to me like over-application of moisterizer. could be creating a zit. can't see it scaring; probably not. you'd be amazed at the body's ability to heal itself. I had big scabs on a piece of mine during healing--much worse than this; two years later the spots look perfect!

Edited by scottyg

• 1 year later...

Hey guys.

can anyone help and let me know if youve seen this happen before? right after my tat session, i noticed right below my tattoo ink (1st pic), there is a thick raised line that seemed swelled up. its weird because it isnt where the ink is, but right below it where its open skin. i didnt think much of it. the next day (2nd pic), it started to look scabbed, red, scarring, infected? theres no puss or anything and doesnt hurt or itch that much. it just seem that its on a hard to heal area of the arm, so the wound is hard to keep dry and without friction. is this some type of infection? but if it was, why would it be in that area, and not where the ink was actually entered and needled punctured? has anyone have any ideas on this? the artist did go over the tattoo area right above the would a couple of times , heavy handed. but how would the infection end up below it?? any help or insights would be much appreciated… thank u!!

main-qimg-868984c83596b55446e9a24398fa2f44-lq
main-qimg-238e9e2173d1a132197cef111b05bcf1-lq
main-qimg-8ef4b993b0390a9508be90466af8b8fd-lq

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi, 

I got a tattoo on the back of my arm 2 and a half weeks ago. 

I've been extremely careful in aftercare, almost obsessively so, until....

Total brain fart 2 days ago. My daughter had a last minute swimming lesson and without even thinking I took her and spent over an hour submerged in the (probably) heavily chlorinated toddler pool. 

Not long after I got home I felt the tattoo become slightly  itchy with red lumps appearing. I washed with tattoo wash and applied tat moisturiser diligently. The lumps seemed to fade but now 2 days later its crazy itchy and the red lumps appear more prominent, possibly more. I could chew my arm off now.

The area isn't hot or anything so not sure if infected. Just some lumps and extremely itchy. 

Any idea how bad the chlorine messed with me and what the likely outcome is? 

I'm sick with myself...I travelled far and paid a lot of money for this artist and stupidly dropped the ball at the pool.

Thanks 

28 minutes ago, Glenn82 said:

Hi, 

I got a tattoo on the back of my arm 2 and a half weeks ago. 

I've been extremely careful in aftercare, almost obsessively so, until....

Total brain fart 2 days ago. My daughter had a last minute swimming lesson and without even thinking I took her and spent over an hour submerged in the (probably) heavily chlorinated toddler pool. 

Not long after I got home I felt the tattoo become slightly  itchy with red lumps appearing. I washed with tattoo wash and applied tat moisturiser diligently. The lumps seemed to fade but now 2 days later its crazy itchy and the red lumps appear more prominent, possibly more. I could chew my arm off now.

The area isn't hot or anything so not sure if infected. Just some lumps and extremely itchy. 

Any idea how bad the chlorine messed with me and what the likely outcome is? 

I'm sick with myself...I travelled far and paid a lot of money for this artist and stupidly dropped the ball at the pool.

Thanks 

I’m surprised there was a reaction 2 weeks after it was done. It’s unlikely that it’s infected, but if it becomes hot, painful or oozes see a doctor.

Also, forget tattoo wash and tattoo moisturizer. It’s just snake oil. A fragrance free soap and a little cocoa butter are all you need and probably a quarter of the price. You just need a little bit, over moisturizing can clog the pores and cause skin issues. Last, try a cold pack for the itching.

Good luck.

Edited by Hogrider