Is your tattoo infected and aftercare FAQ

slayer9019

Got questions about your tattoo with regards to aftercare or possible issues? If so, this is the thread for you! Questions surrounding your new tattoo are common, and we have covered several questions you might have. Think of this thread as your one-stop-shop for all the questions you're dying to ask.

In other words, before you start a thread, please read the following. These topics have come up several times in the past, and this will probably answer any questions you might have.

FAQ

Q: Is my tattoo infected?

A: While tattoo infections are fairly rare, strangers on the internet are not the people to ask. If you're wondering if it is infected, it would be best to ask the tattooer who applied the tattoo. They have all types of knowledge about the various stages of a healing tattoo and would be glad to help you. You are their customer. If it looks really terrible or is very painful, consult a physician.

Q: What is the best aftercare for my new tattoo?

A: There are a variety of effective aftercare methods. There is no "one size fits all" approach, but there are some good guidelines that have been discussed in previous threads here on LST. The best person to get aftercare advice from is from the artist who did the tattoo. (Are you starting to see a pattern here?)

Q: Can I go swimming (or engage in other activities) with my new tattoo?

A: While everyone has their own opinion about this topic, the way to think about it is this: you have a large, fresh wound that you really, really want to take very good care of. (Hell, you paid for it!) It would be in your best interest to keep it free from water, sweat or contact with not-so-clean areas (like gym equipment).

Q: Is my tattoo healed yet? How long does it take to heal?

A: This comes back to what was said before: everyone's body reacts differently. There is no "one size fits all" description for what a healing tattoo looks like or how long it takes. Even on the same person, the area of the body can effect how long it takes to heal. For example, tattoos on the lower leg often take longer to heal than tattoos on the upper arm, but even this varies from person to person. That being said, there are some loose guidelines to follow to understand how the healing process is going. Generally, it goes like this: after leaving the shop, your tattoo might be swollen, red, and oozing plasma/lymph/ink. After this phase, you'll transition into the peeling/scabbing phase. The area can become very itchy and it might look like you have sunburn on your tattoo. After this, the tattoo can look faded or glazed over. It may even have a "waxy" look to it. This is normal. Eventually, the tattoo will settle and look pretty good. The length of time from "fresh" to "looking good" can take anywhere from two weeks to a few months. Again, this depends on several factors, including diet, lifestyle, area of application, and too many others to list here.

Q: Can I and/or should I put sunscreen on my tattoo?

A: After a few days, it should be OK to put sunscreen on your tattoo. During the healing period, you should really try your hardest to keep it covered and out of the sun. Afterward, try and apply high SPF sunscreen to your tattoo as sun can quickly fade the original image.

Q: Am I having an allergic reaction to the ink?

A: If you have any allergies, it would be in your interest before you get tattooed to tell your artist. Having said that, most people are not going to have a reaction. As I've seen here on LST and in my travels, people sometimes attribute a rough session/swelling on their first or second tattoo with an allergic reaction. Repeat: when in doubt, see your tattoo artist or your doctor.

Helpful Links

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/558-tattoo-outline-raised.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/32-best-post-tattoo-care.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/2567-beach-pools.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/1022-itchy-tattoo.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4262-does-your-skin-break-out-after-being-tattooed.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/2887-tattoo-scars.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/715-little-bumps-under-6month-old-tattoo.html

If anyone has suggestions to be added to this thread please feel free to either PM me or tag me in a post and I will add it.

Edited by @hogg

Edited by slayer9019

Beautiful. Don't forget to add the part about "setting" the new tattoo immediately after removing the plastic wrap.

To set your new tattoo, simply have a friend or acquaintance open their hand, place it over the tattoo, raise the hand in line with their shoulder, and, rotating at the elbow, bring down hand with as much force as possible onto the new tattoo. This will ensure that your tattoo will be permanent. It may take as many as three times.

Beautiful. Don't forget to add the part about "setting" the new tattoo immediately after removing the plastic wrap.

To set your new tattoo, simply have a friend or acquaintance open their hand, place it over the tattoo, raise the hand in line with their shoulder, and, rotating at the elbow, bring down hand with as much force as possible onto the new tattoo. This will ensure that your tattoo will be permanent. It may take as many as three times.

If proper setting can't be obtained by the common "Hand Power" method, there are a number of other methods to try.

1. Have a friend hit you with a 2"x4" piece of wood until said wood breaks in half.

2. Have a friend hire Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick the new tattoo.

3. Have a friend find other friends to form an assembly line of slaps.

4. Run as fast as you can into a sturdy brick wall(being sure the tattoo makes contact with said sturdy brick wall).

5. Build a trebuchet at least 37 feet tall. Load one end with a VW Beattle and the other with a large rock. Practice until you know where the rock lands when trebuchet is activated. Stand in that spot.

6. Call me for further instruction.

If proper setting can't be obtained by the common "Hand Power" method, there are a number of other methods to try.

1. Have a friend hit you with a 2"x4" piece of wood until said wood breaks in half.

2. Have a friend hire Chuck Norris to roundhouse kick the new tattoo.

3. Have a friend find other friends to form an assembly line of slaps.

4. Run as fast as you can into a sturdy brick wall(being sure the tattoo makes contact with said sturdy brick wall).

5. Build a trebuchet at least 37 feet tall. Load one end with a VW Beattle and the other with a large rock. Practice until you know where the rock lands when trebuchet is activated. Stand in that spot.

6. Call me for further instruction.

@Brock Varty I think you meant Woodchuck Norris...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm getting my leg tattooed for the second time in a couple weeks and the last leg tattoo I got developed a staph infection and the healing process was so ,so brutal . Swelling and pain wise - I was limping around like a world war 2 vet with all the whooshing my leg was doing . Tattoo healed like a boss though : ) So people who have experienced infections or ink allergies, would you say that it makes recovery harder / more painful ? As always, thanks.

I'm getting my leg tattooed for the second time in a couple weeks and the last leg tattoo I got developed a staph infection and the healing process was so ,so brutal . Swelling and pain wise - I was limping around like a world war 2 vet with all the whooshing my leg was doing . Tattoo healed like a boss though : ) So people who have experienced infections or ink allergies, would you say that it makes recovery harder / more painful ? As always, thanks.

I've never had a tattoo infected so I don't know how it compares - I get leg whooshing every time though - I'm pretty sure that's a normal part of lower leg tattoos.

• 2 months later...

I was curious to see if anyone in the tattoo world has heard of "Anasep" its a antimicrobial skin and would gel. A sales rep came by our shop to introduce the product to us, and said that some piercers' use it but was unsure of the side affects on tattoos. The reason this product caught our interested is because a good friend of ours gets gnarly tattoo infections when he gets tattoos below the knee, sometimes he heals ok, and one time his tattoo literally melted off his skin, it was likely a bad staff/cellulitus type infection. Gross right? So this product claims to kill bacteria, fungi, viruses and spores (including big ones like staff and MRSA) without harming the skin.

So a couple weeks ago, we decided to self test the product to see how it affected the ink, i did a very small area, it healed fine, no weird side effects on the tattoo. I used the cleansing product (a liquid) and the gel. I didnt use any soap, lotions or anything else to aid in healing. I typically heal really fast, but it took longer using just product to keep it clean, but i wanted to see how the product did on its own. I think most healing was done in 2-3 days and since I didnt use a lotion or ointment it scabbed over, within 2 weeks it was completely healed out.

I am curious to see how many people are prone to tattoo infections and if this sounds like a product they would be interested in trying. I think it would be worth a try for some people especially if it could literally save your tattoo, if a bad infection began to fester. We requested some more samples from the manufacture and are going to have some body modification people try it out to get some more feedback. Thoughts on this product?

• 2 weeks later...
So I hear - thanks ! Curious to hear from anyone with experience of an infection.

I had one on the top of my foot get infected in 2005. My own fault for sure. I got it early in the week and had to go to work for the next few days. I had a gauze pad taped over it and wore a dark sock over it. Of course the pad slips down and it rubbed against my sock. One crease got infected. As it healed the color came totally out of it with the thick scab. I had it touched up later on.

Rob

• 2 months later...

I've did some googling on this, but I trust people with experience more than some randomers on yahoo or whatever.

Anyways, my question:

Recently (around half way through january till now) my tattoo has felt a bit swollen and itchy.

The outer lines feel like they popped up and the itch is very minor, like a mosquito bite.

It's not a constant itch, it happens once every few days or so and it only feels like that for a few minutes. (Usually 5 mins tops)

Now I read that this is most likely caused by the change in weather/humidity.

So yeah, any experiences?

I'm not really worried, as I generally don't scratch it or anything of the likes, and it doesn't hurt thus far.

I mainly just want to know if this is normal and if there is anything to do against the itchy feeling?

I've did some googling on this, but I trust people with experience more than some randomers on yahoo or whatever.

Anyways, my question:

Recently (around half way through january till now) my tattoo has felt a bit swollen and itchy.

The outer lines feel like they popped up and the itch is very minor, like a mosquito bite.

It's not a constant itch, it happens once every few days or so and it only feels like that for a few minutes. (Usually 5 mins tops)

Now I read that this is most likely caused by the change in weather/humidity.

So yeah, any experiences?

I'm not really worried, as I generally don't scratch it or anything of the likes, and it doesn't hurt thus far.

I mainly just want to know if this is normal and if there is anything to do against the itchy feeling?

It's a tattoo you've had for a while and is healed? I have some tattoos that raise up a bit sometimes, usually and as far as I can tell, due to things like weather, heat, and humidity. I'd say that if it isn't much of an annoyance and only happens from time to time that it's best to just leave it alone and ignore it. If it is a nuisance I'd try taking antihistamines to see if that has an effect.

It's fully healed and I've had it since September.

The possibility of it being due to humidity is fairly possible as I recently switched my sleeping position for close to a wall on the other side of the room, to underneath the window (single glass, so lots of humidity forming).

I figured just leaving it be and not worrying was the way to go as it only happened after humidity changes, but it's nice to get some reassurance.

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

I have the same thing happen to me, still, with a 2+ year old tattoo. Changes in weather (specifically increased humidity), sweating/heat, all that good stuff. Usually goes away. I've asked others about this too - they have similar things happen. If it doesn't bother you (hurt, etc) then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if this is normal? I got this tattoo like one month ago, and even though the external layer of the skin is ok (when you touch it you don´t feel anything) they are like wrinky weird spots beneath this layer. Any advices? my tattoo artist told me that ankles could take longer healing and that as long as I keep moisturizing it, I shouldn´t worry. Ps: I think my skin has a slow healing process, just by looking how long it takes to heal when I cut or something else. Thank You all :)1979471_10202557925603009_2042204150_n.jpg?oh=9e56bb65405e1dcd78317ca01812a2c8&oe=5338F685&__gda__=1396227626_19e41c074c3956c0e4cac0b762208355

Enviado desde mi GT-P3113 mediante Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Going on a month since i got this tattoo and im getting some sort of reaction. I did some research and found out the red ink has "Mercury" that can cause this. I have another tattoo with a diff red color and it took longer to heal then the rest of the tattoo, which is why im assuming this will heal on its own. But nothing im doing is helping, i recently switched to Aveeno lotion and started with Aquaphor for the first week. I dont know what to do, ive taken Benadryl as well but i havent seen any difference other than the itching stops from time to time. Can someone please give me some advice on this

• 3 months later...

So I'm kinda curious about something. I just got my first tattoo yesterday and I went to a very reputable shop here in town. I just did the outline since it's so big. He did not put anything on it when I left, and as far as aftercare instruction, the only thing he told me was to wash it at least twice a day with anti-bacterial soap. But I did a google search on aftercare and everyone says you should be putting some type of ointment or lotion on it, and that "dry healing" is old school. What say you?