Artists who copy tattoos/styles

sourced from tattoosnob

Justin Hartman posted this message on his Instagram account and I liked it so much, I thought it was worthy of a reposting

When I post new work on Instagram I get a lot of comments from one person tagging another saying things like “get this” or “your next tattoo.” I see so much of my own, and other artist’s custom work taken, and duplicated. Social media has become the most effective way for artists to showcase, and share what they do. We are not putting together a catalog for you to pick out your next tattoo. A custom tattoo should be worn only by the client it was designed for. Period. As for the artists that are perfectly ok tracing screen shots off of Instagram and tattooing them, show some respect and at least change it up and make it your own. If you’re gonna steal from those that spend countless hours coming up with something that’s original, and one of a kind, then go buy some flash.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A bit late on this subject, sorry to bring it up.

My view :

If as an top tier artist (reads do not need to appeal as you are known) you want to avoid your work to be copied, then stop upload stuff on Instagram, Facebook etc. It will protect both artist and client.

Copy - this is bad! Drawing should be individualized, it's still something that will be on the body for life. If a person is like a drawing that he can find a master who draws his picture with similar objects in a similar style. But do not copy what you already have on someone's skin. It's unpleasant to be someone's copy. And considering the fact that copy is always worse than the original - it is doubly bad.

edited to delete comment..... i don't want to get involved in another pointless negative discussion.
Not trolling intended. I put the smiley at the end of my statement hoping to indicate a somewhat light hearted joke. My point was that for the amount of discussion focused on intellectual property of the art, there is little discussion revolving around having a tattoo that other people have. Considering that there are more collectors on this site than artist I figured that might turn the discussion focus onto the other side about not wanting to have the same common tattoo design as the next guy or girl.

"Fear of a flash planet"

http://tattooartistmagazineblog.com/2012/08/01/jojo-ackermann-fear-of-a-flash-planet/

It's been posted before, but reposting it is easier than rehashing the argument about the role of flash in helping people get good tattoos. And Jo Jo Ackerman makes it better anyway :)

Classic or modern flash that is tattooed however many times (that army of crawling panthers) just isn't the same as someone copying what is clearly intended as custom work...

Favorite quote:

"...over time I learned how to draw and tattoo a koi fish without it looking like a chopped off penis with a human eye and sprinkles, or a dragon so that it didn’t look like a barfing sock puppet, or a woman’s face so she didn’t look like a man, or lettering that didn’t look like it was done with your foot!"

I feel so bad for someone when I see one of those koi penises.

On this very forum, I've seen more black panthers than the 60's era civil rights movement. :D

The last few posts about this post.. After some extended deprivation of sleep i was thinking, from what i understand you guys basicly said that no panter is the same. Therefor it is still unique. But this website still looks down on young girls getting a tribal tattoo just above the but or a feather disolving into birds (correct me if im wrong on this). I think we've all seen this picture and laughed about it

0aa9bb464089b6f071403e6bc35e0ab5.jpg

How is one allright but the other is not?

Too quote Aragorn 'What say you?!'

The last few posts about this post.. After some extended deprivation of sleep i was thinking, from what i understand you guys basically said that no panther is the same. Therefor it is still unique. But this website still looks down on young girls getting a tribal tattoo just above the but or a feather dissolving into birds (correct me if im wrong on this). I think we've all seen this picture and laughed about it

How is one alright but the other is not?

To me it seems that there's a large element of sexism, things that are cliches for males to get are OK but cliched female tattoos are not accepted.