Artists who copy tattoos/styles

This is exactly why Grime told me to keep my back piece off the internet. I'm glad I listened to him.

Copying flash is nothing like copying a totally custom piece made specifically for the client. You just can't compare the 2.

I commented on that 3re pictures instagram and asked if he was proud that he completely copied another persons tattoo. We'll see what he says...

The fact that I won't get to see your Grime back piece is pretty good reason to be mad at the guys who copy custom pieces. I seem to recall seeing an ass-peony that was a big tease and was looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm sure other artists are wary about posting work online for the same reason, so it sucks for those of us who just enjoy looking at photos of good tattoos.

Its true, there's so many cut-up photos, photos with huge watermarks over them, strange angles, blurred pictures, all to prevent people copying or tracing. Its a big shame, but these people that copy have made it necessary for artists to hide some of their work.

The fact that I won't get to see your Grime back piece is pretty good reason to be mad at the guys who copy custom pieces. I seem to recall seeing an ass-peony that was a big tease and was looking forward to seeing the final product. I'm sure other artists are wary about posting work online for the same reason, so it sucks for those of us who just enjoy looking at photos of good tattoos.

maybe in time but definitely not before it's finished. I'd be pissed if someone ripped off my idea and finished it before I do!!

I think it would only be fine if 1. The customer had approval from the original artist 2. The two artists spoke and everything was fine. Some people love the same designs and if that's what they want then why not let them have it? BUUUUUUUT on the other hand...why don't they just have the original person do it? WTF?

I think I'm in the camp of laughing-at-the-dodgy-imitations, but tbh it'd get to me if someone ripped my work off, whatever it was. I've actually been worrying about the whole thing for a long time as I've been totally in love with several images but of course didn't want to copy them.

I booked in my Day of The Dead girls (well, the first one) on Tuesday. I took in the crumpled pictures and notes I've carried for ages and had my speech ready about "not wanting to rip off exact images" etc, despite how it may look.

The tattoo artist didn't even consider that I'd want exact copies of them, despite my annotations scrawled all over - "LOVE THE EYES!" "SHINE ON LIPS IS PERFECT!" etc, sounds weird but I KNOW the thought didn't even enter her head. It felt like I'm pointing at a red room gushing how much I want mine the same, she offers to paint mine blue - it was the brushstrokes stoking my fire all along, she knew it from the start. It only really dawned on me then that godjam, I'm paying for this lady's incredible talent, not just her experience and skill in sticking me with ink. Can't wait for the session (105110 mins and counting! Online countdowns are torturous!).

Love to all

John

Its clearly ethically wrong to tattoo someone else's tattoo art....

What needs to happen is some lawsuits. The 1976 Copyright Act states that any work for hire belongs to the person who commissioned it.

Sorry to use Kristel as an example but since she is ripped off so often i find it appropritate:

Let's say , hypothetically, Kristel Oreto tattoos somebody and we see the exact same tattoo on a reality show, her client can sue the artist who copied it.

In my interpretation of this law, ( i am not a lawyer btw but I took copyright law in art school) the client owns all copyright rights to an original commissioned piece of art installed on their body and retains the right to sue anyone who uses it without permission.

Now if the ripoff artist contacts Kristel's client and gains permission, then they should have legal right to reproduce it.

Obviously that will never happen but according to the law, the tattoo artist does not own any rights at all unless the copyright is expressly written as belonging to the original tattoo artist, or if the tattoo was free it would not qualify as "Art for Hire"

Now the copyright office in congress does not mention tattoos at all, but it is art and should qualify. ( in my mind =p )

I feel that every tattoo I do should be original ,I understand reference and influence from other artist is important, but just slapping down the exact same think , its not for me flattery is the the highest for of compliment however plagiarism sucks and shows that you don"t have much to offer to the art world as a whole!!

Wow, you are right, they are identical as far as I can tell. I can't believe a studio with a reputation like The Family Business would employ artists who rip-off other peoples work, especially since Tomas Tomas works in the same city! I wonder what Mo Copolletta would say...

I really hope that nobody opens the copyright can of worms onto tattooing... imagine all of the published reference images or commercial imagery that's used in tattoos. Even if the suit is between two artists, I feel like it would set a precedent for larger entities to totally shit on the tattoo community.

I don't condone copying people's tattoos, but I am not really digging this thread. One it's not really any of my business to call out people for this kind of thing. Second, I would be hesistant to do so, because there is so much reference material outside of tattoo realm, that I couldn't be sure that two people weren't copying a piece of art from another genre as a tattoo. Third I have never gotten a tattoo that I expected to be or thought in any shape or form would be custom. I like running into people that have the same tattoos I do, I like the look of traditional tattoos and I am under no delusion that I am somehow "special" despite what my mother told me. I don't worry when someone tells me they are going to draw something for me, and they really just go trace it from the Ed hardy flash book and pass it off as their own, because I know most people aren't familiar with the design. Even is someone does copy the tattoo you have, it doesn't change the fact that you have a badass tattoo that most people would be jealous of and want to wear and you will get no sympathy from me, in fact i might make fun of you for complaining about it.

The Family Business posted this tattoo by Chisaki on instagram today:

0dd27d9ad5d011e29b4022000a9f3c65_7.jpg

I thought it looked familiar because I've seen nearly the same tattoo done by Tomas Tomas. I found this picture of it on the internet, but it was also published in Marisa Kakoulas's book Tattoo World:

19.jpg

Pretty messed up, in my opinion.

Aren't Chisaki and Tomas Tomas married or something?

I know he did the patterns that cover her body so in this case I'm sure there was some permission or understanding involved...

Aren't Chisaki and Tomas Tomas married or something?

I know he did the patterns that cover her body so in this case I'm sure there was some permission or understanding involved...

If that's the case I'll own up to be a total jumping-to-conclusions ass.