Artists who copy tattoos/styles

You're certainly free not to take her seriously, but I'm still interested in the question of whether or not this is copying. Anyway, I think the notion of someone else doing her style of tattooing is, at least, stupid, since I imagine part of the appeal for people who have her tattoos is the name/fame...

If someone reproduces one of her tattoos, then it's copying. If someone does an entirely new brush stroke tattoo, then who cares? She might be one of the most well known for the style but it's not that original anyway... brush stroke/watercolor/painterly style tattoos are pretty popular overseas right now anyway

You're certainly free not to take her seriously, but I'm still interested in the question of whether or not this is copying. Anyway, I think the notion of someone else doing her style of tattooing is, at least, stupid, since I imagine part of the appeal for people who have her tattoos is the name/fame...

Well considering that she didn't invent color blobs, I don't see how its copying her style if someone does it. I have no clue who this person is and I imagine that whatever fame is created is based in some type of internet parallel reality.

I was prepared to write some profound thoughts regarding ones personal style and influences and the relationship to the ego but I think that its not important what I think. People are more worried about their opinions and seeking clarification or validation in their views.

Its been said, their is nothing new. If someone appears to be breaking new ground it is part of a seemless formula of blending their influences and how they build on their inspirations.

The only thing that makes someone truly special isn't contained in their renderings but in their willingness to continue to improve their abilities and their interactions with others on this plane of existence.

The tattoo experience isn't about just some unique design applied to make you feel special. It was being part of something bigger than yourself and the person giving you this experience having the ability to do more than apply a nice tattoo. My favorite tattoo experiences have been the conversations and the stories exchanged as well as the persons ability to entertain, educate, and share that experience. Those other elements aren't something that show up in pictures on the intervebs. You can't craft personality the same way as your drawing abilities and application of tattoos. The tattoos I have from these folks are a permanent reminder of that interaction and the impact that moment in time had on my life.

But now I babbling and rambling. And I said I wasn't going to say a bunch of stuff...so yeah. Haha. Carry on!

Re: Internet parallel realities, they often threaten to swallow up...well, reality.

Thanks for your response. As I've been looking at portfolios, I've enjoyed getting a feel for how an artist's personality shows through in their work (or doesn't). I'm certainly not yet at a point where I can see the history, too.

I like how watercolor tattoos are to this forum what Bose is to audiophile message boards...

You just made an amazing point. It's true, I personally do not celebrate watercolor tattoos because it is a bit of a lie to the client. Because she posts it publicly on her website, I don't think it is a problem saying this, but she charges $300/hour for something that isn't going to be there in 5 years. That, to me, is a travesty. Same with Bose! You can spend the same amount of scratch on an audio receiver that is superior quality and with more longevity.

You just made an amazing point. It's true, I personally do not celebrate watercolor tattoos because it is a bit of a lie to the client. Because she posts it publicly on her website, I don't think it is a problem saying this, but she charges $300/hour for something that isn't going to be there in 5 years. That, to me, is a travesty. Same with Bose! You can spend the same amount of scratch on an audio receiver that is superior quality and with more longevity.

I can't tell is she, or the 4764846578 others trying the same thing, is genuinely convinced she will somehow do it different than anyone before her (because surely nobody else before her has ever done it 'right') and it will last forever, or if she doesn't care and just wants to get paid. Gogue said something that I can't recall to quote word for word but it was something to the effect of knowing that his tattoos fall apart in just a few years, and I still give him 10000% more credit than this other tattooer.

Lots of "tattoo ego" on the line -- artists and customers, alike. If you get an "original" piece (at least, you hope it is), then you have the satisfaction of being the first to have it (like being the "index case" in a disease); if you get a copy of that piece, well, it's a copy (like that Ben Shahn print, or Annie Liebowitz photo hanging on your wall) -- you like it, it wasn't free, and you don't/can't claim it's the original. So, what's the problem? Don't we say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"? And maybe -- just maybe -- successive iterations of the design will [gasp!] be better than the original, introduce changes in it, or adapt it for customer differences (color preference, skin color, etc.).

I prefer to save any ire for remakes of Hollywood movies or TV shows (where the remake is rarely as good as the original). YMMV.

I had my smokey flower tattoo redone by a world class artist but in a slight colour variation. I got the picture from the internet so I was not angry but I was surprised that another world class artist would do the same tattoo albeit slightly different knowing that my tattoo was out there and by another world class artist. I just didn't think that one of the artists that could pull it off would bother doing it.

I think I would feel differently if my custom back piece was copied and I think all custom tattoos should never be touched by another artist. Obviously this will never happen. I was in a studio the other week and a customer brought in that Niki Norberg sleeve picture and asked one of the artists to copy it. Don't understand why someone would want someone else s tattoo (not talking about flash here) lol When he left I asked the artist will he do it and he said he hates it but it pays the bills.

Here is my tattoo and the part that was redone :) They do say that copying is the sincerest form of flattery :) He did do an amazing job though!

2d0xceu.jpg

Because I dont want a signature on my skin !

Ok. If I had something from a great artist I would want them to put the type of signature that they use on other artwork. Initials or some sort. We differ there. But I have heard of artists that won't do it even if the client asks. I definitely didn't mean that they should do it without permission, I should have been more clear on what I was asking.

Ok. If I had something from a great artist I would want them to put the type of signature that they use on other artwork. Initials or some sort. We differ there. But I have heard of artists that won't do it even if the client asks. I definitely didn't mean that they should do it without permission, I should have been more clear on what I was asking.

If you had something from a great tattooer it should be immediately obvious who did it, at least to people who know what they're looking at. No signature should be necessary.

I have seen some large Japanese bodysuits that incorporate the mark of the artist who made them - Usually a Hori, I have seen work by Horiyoshi III, Horikitsune, Horimatsu all with their "printed" artist name, usually on the upper shoulder on the back. I believe I even saw Stewart Robson do it once at a clients request. I havent ever seen an artist "sign" a small piece, although I don't doubt it has happened before!

I have seen some large Japanese bodysuits that incorporate the mark of the artist who made them - Usually a Hori, I have seen work by Horiyoshi III, Horikitsune, Horimatsu all with their "printed" artist name, usually on the upper shoulder on the back. I believe I even saw Stewart Robson do it once at a clients request. I havent ever seen an artist "sign" a small piece, although I don't doubt it has happened before!

Oh that's cool. I didn't know that and I have never noticed that in Hori work. Thanks a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

If you had something from a great tattooer it should be immediately obvious who did it, at least to people who know what they're looking at. No signature should be necessary.

Well I guess I don't think of it from a necessity stand point, more from my personal standpoint. For example, if I were lucky enough to get a tattoo by Myke Chambers next year, I would like to have him initial it with 14, not so people would know it was Myke's work but for me as if it were a commissioned painting.

I've always enjoyed the signatures in Japanese tattoos. It is a neat tradition.

You can see the tag where the signature will go on the lower left leg in this Filip Leu piece.

edfbff75f41fec91659084d5f5bf68a9.jpg

That's really cool I have never noticed that, even though I know this piece.

I've always enjoyed the signatures in Japanese tattoos. It is a neat tradition.

You can see the tag where the signature will go on the lower left leg in this Filip Leu piece.

edfbff75f41fec91659084d5f5bf68a9.jpg

Damn... That thing blows me away. I mean everyone knows that Filip Leu is a genius, but I am just astonished at how readable that is with the amount of color and the subtlety of the black. I mean that thing is busy as fuck and you can still tell exactly what is going on in any given point of the suit. Like... damn!!!!