Artists who copy tattoos/styles

Those that copy due to laziness of not wanting to draw up or freehand a design. Are pretty silly as it takes much longer to copy something exact then it does an original you make up and fix mistakes as you go. Ive had my work stolen many times in the past so understand the frustration. There is even a shop that excusivly used my work in all thier advertising to get known and I actually lost in court. (Can explain but will be a long read) There are those Artists who give credit and praise to the original creator and admit copying. (I actually have some respect for these Artists, or tribute Artists as some might call) There are also customers who come in with a spacific picture of what they want from another Artist that might be in another country or to busy. Its not always easy to turn them away when you need the money. Again it is how respectfully you do the job and give tribute. Even making personal changes to make it your own is concidered OK.

Same rules and ethics apply in any Art form, If there is a popular clothing item everyone copies it, A style of music, or a building design. American idol wouldnt of had much success if all the Artists had to use thier own original work. Tribute bands wouldnt exist. Its a fine line and there are proper eithics to do it right and respectfully. (Im being a bit hipcritical since copying is a pet peve of mine but Ive learned to except and understand it)

@irezumi rad, and offers a proper perspective to learning. Studying an art or craft escapes those that view it from a pedestrian viewpoint. Its easy to assign opinions based solely on the repeating of what we've heard before. Which to me is ironic to the replication of imagery or patterns. Folks who are playing guitar in metal bands that have perfected their form of shredding might even be unaware of Al di meola and his invention of style but may have learned some Eddie van halen. Even when we learn we cannot find the beginning if we are always trying to be the magic sky wizard (god) and the creators of every thing we think is new. To create better things I had to remove that aspect of ego. Only then could I learn and it started with trying to repeat and understand what worked and why.

As always, quality contribution. Thanks for posting that.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

My pleasure. If I have something interesting to share I'm glad to do so. With luck it piques the interest enough to make people here buy some books, find and buy old magazines, dig through old articles, go to art shows, go to a museum, etc. Basically to do the research and contribute back. The process of finding the information used to be much more difficult and/or time consuming but is still so much more rewarding. The internet is a super helpful tool but I find that I absorb the material if I see and hold a book, venture to the library to request old/rare books that are unaffordable or too rare to buy, or take the time to show up in front of a painting and stand in front if it for a few minutes without talking or even thinking, just looking and soaking it in, or bringing a sketchbook to a museum and study/draw from a sculpture or a skull or even a dead stuffed animal (Thanks Teddy Roosevelt).

'in real life' information. Granted, I approach all of this as an artist and/or as a tattooer so perhaps my level of interest might be different than a civilian, but the desire to learn more about a passion is shared by all not just this side of the counter.

I've noticed a few other artists are doing Monmon Cats to the point where it's become a "thing." Not ripoff artists but some reputable tattooers like Adam Kitamoto. Suppose you can't fault someone who wants one but lives in Australia. And I imagine it's not hurting Horitomo's business at all. But I wonder: does anyone take issue with this? In my mind emulating a style is okay as is using an image from a book. It only feels wrong to me if someone is tracing/copying a tattoo on someone else's body.

As the saying goes: "Those who matter, don't mind - those who mind, don't matter."

All the greats seem to echo the same sentiment in that they just don't let it get to them. They understand that it's just the nature of the beast, and would be lying if they claimed to have never done it themselves (in their growing years, probably not now).

There's a difference between what we consider ethical and what is actionable in a court of law. Don't know anybody who's filed a successful suit against another tattooer but it could happen.

I've been wondering about this too. I figure it's bound to happen one day.

Tattooing has always been kind of an outlaw business. I think it was one of the Sailor Jerry documentaries where they were talking about ripping off other people's flash back in the day. Now that it's become more mainstream and big business with TV shows, endorsement deals, T-shirts and assorted swag, there's bound to be some IP lawyer who sees a way to make a quick buck on a lawsuit.

good quote @deadsp0t

Plagiarism, however unethical, transcends the tattooing world. It is an integral part of any, and every, form of artistic expression (music, cooking, drawing, sports, etc.). Greatness inspires and elicits imitation; no one is copying shitty work. It's a learning process that is built upon. Doesn't matter if it was copied directly from an instagram pic, it still inspired someone enough to go through all the trouble of doing it. And they probably learned a thing or two from it all.

How much music is sampled, not just today but all throughout history? How many great chefs are constantly being imitated or having their recipes copied?

I also don't doubt for a second, now that tattooing is mainstream, that people will try to profit from it via the legal system.

• 3 weeks later...

To take little bits of styles, kind of like techniques (whip shading, thick lines, etc.) and to add it to your "arsinal" is one thing. To just rip someone's very specific style is bullshit and a whole other world.

Look at something else as an example. Certain comedians nab bits and pieces of one anothers style and work, but make that bit fit into a whole that is really their own. Red Foxx, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy etc is an example of the movement. But when they straight jack jokes and bits? Carlos Mencia style, fuck that shit, it's weak. How do you even call yourself an artist then?

• 2 weeks later...

It would trouble me personally if someone lifted an original design from me. Especially if someone profited from it and didn't ask. As an artist, I'm challenged with the possibility every time I post my work online. But as I need to collect a portfolio for business and personal reasons, i really have no other choice... it'd not be like they were stealing from the rich either. However, it also makes me feel full of pretense.

I just recently had my custom piece by Victor Portugal copied! I thought I would be slightly annoyed but to be quite frank it doesnt bother me one bit. I will still struggle with why someone would want the same tattoo as someone else but its the way of the internet I guess :)

2j0zi91.jpg

2a0ba5i.jpg

It is funny that the 3rd picture even copied those two dark spirals on the shoulders that look like the might have been existing work that Shige had to work around. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

They are called bunga terung, or the borneo rose. and that is especially ridiculous since there are so many traditional variations to choose from even of those little symbols and he didn't even change them.

- - - Updated - - -

What about when people get Salvador Dali, H.R. Giger tattoos and all that..

Would that be considered a form of plagiarism as well?

i personally wouldn't consider it plagiarism, something that wasn't intended as a tattoo is a little different because it's like flash art; you get it knowing you will not be the only person with it. But if you have someone custom make you a tattoo so it's personal and you have something no one else has and then someone goes and copies it, without even asking permission, that takes the meaning of "personal" away and i consider that identity theft. To me it really depends on the intent behind the art, so i would get a Salvador Dali piece to show how much i love the artist, and if i liked a tattoo that someone else had custom designed for them I'd go to the tattoo artist who did it and pay them to design me something personal I'd end up liking even more.