Fear of Needles+Tattoos

Not only does it not look anything like getting a shot or getting blood drawn, the sensation is totally different. The thing about shots/blood extraction that squiggs me out is the feeling of the needle deep in my skin/vein/muscle whatever. The feeling of a tattoo is pain on the surface...it's less a needle in me, and more a needle on me.

Yep, because when I've gotten my blood drawn or needed a shot it looked nothing at all like this:

2sbv8nd.jpg

I have been getting a lot of acupuncture lately, and my acupuncturist always asks about tattoo stuff, and those needles vs. these needles. I told her acupuncture is like, a freaking treat compared to getting tattooed. Interestingly, she was saying that she imagined the places that she finds acupuncture needle insertion hurt the most are also the places where getting tattooed sucks the most, but it doesn't seem to correspond at all. Like she says forearms are generally a rough spot (although I have not found that to be the case, with the exception of my wrists). And like, she sticks needles right into my forehead and stomach and I don't feel a thing. So all that to say: duh, different needles feel different.

In some research I've done, most often the places where people choose to get tattooed reflect areas of imbalance in the body per acupuncture and TCM theory. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with pain levels.

I HATE needles, like freak out over blood drawn, vaccinations, etc to the point where I almost pass out. Tattooing, I'm okay even though I think outlining totally sucks. Acupuncture needles, I usually wince when then go in, but after that I'm okay.

I also get the fear of needles very often in my shop, I always tell them i also have a fear of needles but the sensation is really different then a normal needle or even a piercing. We always compare it with being too much in the sun, a bit burned sensation and then they more at ease. Everybody has already felt this sensation, and none of them think it is really bad :)

What do you guys think of using Emla creme? IT is a sedating creme. I also had questions about lidocaine? What do you guys think of this? Can ppl use it? And most important of all, is it bad for the tattoo?

I say don't use numbing cream. The only time I would consider using it are on sessions longer than 3 hours.

Tattoos hurt. They're wounds. It's a part of the process. You're choosing to be wounded, you gotta suck it up. But if it goes on for like 3+ hours, I know it would be pretty much unbearable. And if you don't have the option of spacing out sessions so you don't have to get a tattoo for longer than 3 hours, then go for the cream.

I'm not sure there's any way round it. Getting tattoos hurts, more or less, depending on whereabouts it's going.

If you really, genuinely want that tattoo though, it doesn't hurt enough that it should put you off.

(Sometimes I find the whole "washing a slightly scabby wound for a week or so" aspect more unpleasant than the actual needlework.) ;)

I'm not sure there's any way round it. Getting tattoos hurts, more or less, depending on whereabouts it's going.

If you really, genuinely want that tattoo though, it doesn't hurt enough that it should put you off.

(Sometimes I find the whole "washing a slightly scabby wound for a week or so" aspect more unpleasant than the actual needlework.) ;)

I could not agree more.

I hate healing a tattoo 1,000% more than being tattooed.

I actually kind of enjoy the being tattooed part (that said, I've only sat for about 2.5 hours at a clip, so I have no concept of what a longer sitting is like).

I say don't use numbing cream. The only time I would consider using it are on sessions longer than 3 hours.

Tattoos hurt. They're wounds. It's a part of the process. You're choosing to be wounded, you gotta suck it up. But if it goes on for like 3+ hours, I know it would be pretty much unbearable. And if you don't have the option of spacing out sessions so you don't have to get a tattoo for longer than 3 hours, then go for the cream.

I agree. I don't think I've ever gotten to the point where I needed anything. And I would be afraid of any creams or anything else going on the tattoo. Last week I did 4 hours and it was fine because we finished the outline around 2.5/3 hours, so the rest felt like a relief. She did use something on me though because she thought I was in a lot of pain (really I'm just super restless and hate sitting or laying down for long periods of time). It was like a spray and started with a b. I don't remember what it was called. It still hurt but I didn't care as much. And since she said she uses it I was curious to try it.

- - - Updated - - -

This. I always tell people getting tattooed is nothing compared to the agony of the first week of healing. And no one ever warned me about the awful chills you get as the tattoo heals (and the stinging), that's my least favorite part.

I don't know but I've had enough hours in the chair at this point (and go frequently enough ) I'm not all too keen on the pain in getting tattooed. Especially places like the back or front of the knee or armpit. Knee makes me wanna vomit.

Also as the guys at the shop said you got enough you can bitch about it a bit. Upside is apparently I sit like a rock.

Edit: that being said I still don't use any cream or crap just a beer or two because beer tastes good