Hello! New from Cincy!

Timbur

Hi Everybody!

It's great to be a part of a growing tattoo forum. I can't wait to become a part of the community. :)

Tattoos are a big deal in my family. Everyone has them and absolutely loves them. They're one of the most beautiful art forms and I love how we all share a special connection. There's nothing better than having a conversation with another person about tattoos and their meaning and significance that are special to you.

Another reason I joined is to ask some questions about future tattoos that I'm looking at getting. I looked through a lot of other forums and it seems like this community is a great place to get advice. :)

Since I can't start a thread in another forum for a week I'll ask everyone a question in this thread about a tat I'm thinking of getting to see what everyone thinks, so here goes ;)

I'm thinking of getting this tattoo on my upper arm. From just below my shoulder to right above my elbow. But the one thing I'm worried about is the detail in it. Especially in the woman's face.

I'm a small girl and have tiny arms too.

What I'm worried about is after a few years, the details in her face (eyes, nose, lips) will start to blend and bleed together and become unrecognizable. Her face/head will be about the size of a quarter maybe, which is pretty small. I would be devistated if this happened. Also, I'm worried that the same thing might happen to the trees smaller branches in the background, her collar and spiraled details on her dress, the accessories in her hair, and the whiskers of the Koi. Pretty much anything that is very small.

I could be overthinking this and it might be perfectly aright to get this tattooed with no problems to worry about in the future, but I'd rather ask beforehand about the things I'm worried about. ;)

I'm thinking of omiting the smaller woman, the building and the smaller tree in the background because I'm almost certain that those would fade into a mess after a few years. So I wanted to omit them because they are so incredibly detailed.

Also, this tattoo will be colored. I know its not in the picture, but it would be when it is tattooed.

I would love and greatly appreciate any advice about her face maybe blending before i go and get this tattooed. I love the design but really want it to last.

I look forward to talking to everyone!

Happy tattooing! :)

geishaandkoifishtattood.jpg

Welcome to the forum and intro threads are the perfect place to ask questions. I'm not an artist, but that design in that spot is not going to work. I'd suggest finding an artist who does tattoos you love, and with that drawing you could probably go either Japanese or New School, and asking him or her to simplify and rework the design so that it will work as a tattoo.

Thanks so much for the tip, Graeme. I was worried it might not work but having my artist rework the design is a great idea. :)

I have another question. Was I correct in thinking the ink in the face and the other small details will end up merging? Or is there other problems with the design that I'm overlooking? Thanks! ;)

Hey, welcome! This is a cool community (I joined rceently too) and I think you'll enjoy it.

I haven't been in Cincinnati but I visited an office in Cleveland a bunch a few years ago. Nice place and it has done better than my Rust Belt home area of Niagara/Buffalo.

I have another question. Was I correct in thinking the ink in the face and the other small details will end up merging? Or is there other problems with the design that I'm overlooking? Thanks! ;)

Yep, lines will spread and small details will end up bleeding together. There's a great new instagram account called vintage_tattoos run by Steven Wrigley, a tattooer from Glasgow, and it's worth looking at if only to get a better idea of how tattoos are going to age and look 30, 40, 50 or more years down the line.

I think you'd be far better off breaking the design up into different elements and getting a geisha girl as one tattoo, a koi as another, but that's a discussion you should be having with your artist.

I do think you're over thinking it a little. But I understand.

Focus on getting a good design from a good tattooer first. They will be able to answer any and all of your questions. Tattoos do age. They change, hell, even after the first month. Once you get past the fact that no tattoo is perfect, you can begin your journey to getting lots of rad stuff.

The fingers waves in that design need a little bit more oomph.

I do think you're over thinking it a little. But I understand.

Focus on getting a good design from a good tattooer first. They will be able to answer any and all of your questions. Tattoos do age. They change, hell, even after the first month. Once you get past the fact that no tattoo is perfect, you can begin your journey to getting lots of rad stuff.

The fingers waves in that design need a little bit more oomph.

Yep, lines will spread and small details will end up bleeding together. There's a great new instagram account called vintage_tattoos run by Steven Wrigley, a tattooer from Glasgow, and it's worth looking at if only to get a better idea of how tattoos are going to age and look 30, 40, 50 or more years down the line.

I think you'd be far better off breaking the design up into different elements and getting a geisha girl as one tattoo, a koi as another, but that's a discussion you should be having with your artist.

I do a lot of art myself so maybe I can take elements from the design and rework it and post what I come up with and see if I can make it workable.

While it feels nice to be in control of every detail of a your (first?) tattoo, you have to keep in mind that tattooers are paid to not only shove ink into your skin, but also draw and design art that will hold and work as a tattoo. Find someone whose style you dig, maybe you can give them your sketch as reference to show the elements you want and the poses you'd like them in, but don't be afraid if they come back with something totally different. Too many limitations can be annoying, plus they might think of some awesome addition that never even crossed your mind. I like giving a degree of freedom so they can be excited about the work they're doing.

While it feels nice to be in control of every detail of a your (first?) tattoo, you have to keep in mind that tattooers are paid to not only shove ink into your skin, but also draw and design art that will hold and work as a tattoo. Find someone whose style you dig, maybe you can give them your sketch as reference to show the elements you want and the poses you'd like them in, but don't be afraid if they come back with something totally different. Too many limitations can be annoying, plus they might think of some awesome addition that never even crossed your mind. I like giving a degree of freedom so they can be excited about the work they're doing.

Second actually ;) but my first, although large, is no where near as detailed as this one will be. My other is on my back. I'm going for my arm this time around so I can show it off easier and because I think sleeves are beautiful.

I do have a friend who is covered in amazing tats from his chest down. He goes to a friends of his, Mason, who does amazing work. I think now, I might go to his friend and bring the design with me and see what he can do ;)

I'm getting very excited about this. I've been wanting a sleeve with a koi and some other elements for a very long time.

Your from Cinci? Check out Kore Flatmo. One of the best in the world. Several people on the forums here are working on pieces with him and I am twenty hours into a backpiece and full leg from him.

Yup ;) Cincinnati. Born and raised.

Wow. I just did a search on him and wow. Amazing. His work is awesome. I bet your tattoo looks superb. I would love to see it.

I found the shop that he is at when he's not traveling and I think I might stop in ;)

Thanks so much for letting me know!

You guys have all been a great help so far! This community is awesome :D

Yup ;) Cincinnati. Born and raised.

Wow. I just did a search on him and wow. Amazing. His work is awesome. I bet your tattoo looks superb. I would love to see it.

I found the shop that he is at when he's not traveling and I think I might stop in ;)

Thanks so much for letting me know!

You guys have all been a great help so far! This community is awesome :D

FYI. He works out of a private studio and not a shop. It isn't a place you can just walk into. There are no markings for the studion and the doors remain locked during the day. I would contact them via phone or email to set up something.

FYI. He works out of a private studio and not a shop. It isn't a place you can just walk into. There are no markings for the studion and the doors remain locked during the day. I would contact them via phone or email to set up something.

This, contact him through email. I don't think stopping by would go over very well. Even if you could find it, you would be able to get in.

You won't disappointed. He's an incredible tattooer and an even better person.

FYI.* He works out of a private studio and not a shop.* It isn't a place you can just walk into.* There are no markings for the studion and the doors remain locked during the day.* I would contact them via phone or email to set up something.

Oh whoops. My fault. I found the Plurabella site and it didn't list an address but my brain failed to put 2+2 together that it was private. Oh I fail sometimes lol. I should definitely call and see what he's up to and how booked he is.

This, contact him through email. I don't think stopping by would go over very well. Even if you could find it, you would be able to get in.

You won't disappointed. He's an incredible tattooer and an even better person.

He sounds great. I would love to have a piece done by him. I've been wanting tattoos ever since I was real young because my parents have them and I always thought they were so beautiful. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have Kore work on a piece for me ;)

Oh whoops. My fault. I found the Plurabella site and it didn't list an address but my brain failed to put 2+2 together that it was private. Oh I fail sometimes lol. I should definitely call and see what he's up to and how booked he is.

He generally books about six months at a time. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I know if someone presents him with something he really wants to do, he might make room in the schedule. The people that get work from him mainly travel in from out of town and even overseas, so keeping a tight schedule is super important for him. If you do email or call, you will probably get to speak with Kim. She is one of the most kind and professional people I have ever encountered. Everyone at PluraBella is far and beyond good folks.

@exume Thanks for posting. @Timbur Great interview that you should check out.

He sounds great. I would love to have a piece done by him. I've been wanting tattoos ever since I was real young because my parents have them and I always thought they were so beautiful. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have Kore work on a piece for me ;)

It will be worth your time. I have to say beside everything else I really value the private nature of the studio. Its really very relaxing and laid back, no macho bs going on. I really made me feel comfortable, especially on my first piece because it was my first tattoo.

I can honestly say I wouldn't get tattooed by anyone else.

He generally books about six months at a time. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I know if someone presents him with something he really wants to do, he might make room in the schedule. The people that get work from him mainly travel in from out of town and even overseas, so keeping a tight schedule is super important for him. If you do email or call, you will probably get to speak with Kim. She is one of the most kind and professional people I have ever encountered. Everyone at PluraBella is far and beyond good folks.

@exume Thanks for posting. @Timbur Great interview that you should check out.

The interview was great. Watched the entire thing. He had some great stories and seems like an awesome person. Makes me really want to get in to see him. :)

It will be worth your time. I have to say beside everything else I really value the private nature of the studio. Its really very relaxing and laid back, no macho bs going on. I really made me feel comfortable, especially on my first piece because it was my first tattoo.

I can honestly say I wouldn't get tattooed by anyone else.

Would you mind posting a pic of your tat? Would love to see it.

Kore seems so awesome in that interview. So laid back and seems like he'd be so easy to talk to.

The interview was great. Watched the entire thing. He had some great stories and seems like an awesome person. Makes me really want to get in to see him. :)

Would you mind posting a pic of your tat? Would love to see it.

Kore seems so awesome in that interview. So laid back and seems like he'd be so easy to talk to.

If you look under my avatar, you will see images. Click on that and you can see both of the tattoos I've gotten from him,

If you look under my avatar, you will see images. Click on that and you can see both of the tattoos I've gotten from him,

Awesome ink, Reverend ;) I love the Dragon. I definitely want a dragon (almost certain it will be on my other arm) because I'm going for a chinese theme with my tattoos and going by the Chinese zodiac, I'm a dragon.

Yeah. He's also really tough to get ahold of. But, what he does is brilliant. He's the Mike Roper of the Midwest.

He is one of the most slept on tattooers around. As if I need to make the case for him even more, he is also very nice, almost too nice. Dude is funny as hell and dam, can he fucking paint. His painting just blows my mind into the stratosphere. Seeing all his originals in person is a whole 'nother level of crazy.