Complete newbie to LST and forums!

Jlurie91

Hello everyone, I'm Justin, I'm 21 recently moved to L.A.

I have 5 tattoos, two matching scorpions on my back ( I was 18 found out I was a scorpio and jumped on the scorpio train ) two stars I got when I was drunk, regret them and a tulip on my arm that I drew out.

I'm a bit older now and I've been thinking about getting more tattoos and really wanted to do my do-diligence before I just jumped back in to it!

Anyway, can't wait to check out all the awesome threads on LST!

-Justin

Hello, welcome! That's rad that you want to take the time to do some research and take your tattoos seriously. It's a really exciting thing to do in your life. If there's any advice I can give, I say don't get too intimidated by the caliber of awesome tattoos you see here. If anything, just think of them as examples for the possibilities that await your future art :)

Can we see pictures of the tattoos you have?

Thanks guys! Yes I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I've been checking all the threads and some of the art is amazing!

As for advice? I'm definitely looking for a specific piece. I haven't been able to find a tattoo artist who can do what I want unless I want to pay $100,000+! Ha which I don't have.

Apparently I have to wait to post more things but no worries I'm taking my time regardless!

Yes, Timbur, everyone is super friendly so far which is great because there are too many people out there that dislike everything about tattoos...good feeling seeing everyone with their art!

Once you can post in other sections of the forum, there are threads that are meant to help you find a specific artist or point you in the right direction of a style. As far as tattoos and money go, don't worry about how much the tattoo will cost you overall. Money comes and goes, tattoos are forever, and you can totally figure out easy ways to budget getting your ideal tattoo.

Very true! Thanks for letting me know. I still have to figure out how to properly use forums but what's a good example of where and how to post in the correct place? I've been reading a ton of the threads and they all seem very specific about things people have already thought about forever! haha so I'm just curious if it would be in the general forum etc.

I think you have to get your post count up to 10 before you can post elsewhere, maybe make some in other peoples' introductory threads. As for actual designs, maybe check out the latest tattoo lowdown thread, or the designs, books, and flash subforum to see what styles and aesthetic of tattoos you're attracted to. From there, maybe discuss ideas you have within that genre?

Thanks guys! Yes I'll post pictures as soon as I can. I've been checking all the threads and some of the art is amazing!

As for advice? I'm definitely looking for a specific piece. I haven't been able to find a tattoo artist who can do what I want unless I want to pay $100,000+! Ha which I don't have.

Apparently I have to wait to post more things but no worries I'm taking my time regardless!

Yes, Timbur, everyone is super friendly so far which is great because there are too many people out there that dislike everything about tattoos...good feeling seeing everyone with their art!

Hi and welcome!

Can you give us any more details about the specific piece you are dreaming of? Maybe we can give a few suggestions on artists that tattoo in a style that would work well for your piece.

@Jlurie91 Your intro thread is the best place to post specific questions relating to you and your tattoos. Read other threads and judge the content for yourself. If you feel you would get a better response in that thread, then post there instead. But...as a rule of thumb, your intro thread is the place for questions.

AHHH I see! well I want a Greek god themed sleeve. All greys. I'm looking for someone who is really good with shading and creativity. The sleeve I want isn't mapped out in my head at all. I have the gist of it but that's about it. I basically want to have 50 different tattoos inside the one blended. HA it's hard to explain!!! Does anyone know of a great greek god artist?

Wow incredible. James Spencer Briggs does have an amazing portfolio. I actually almost jumped in my car and drove out there haha. But DAMNNNNNN Kore has a few pieces that are fucking brilliant! I love how dabbles in the color for those black and white pieces. I'm clearly not ready for this tattoo because adding some color in with the ocean might be awesome! AHHH I don't know what to do.

Thank you for sharing those two artists with me. Beyond brilliant.

Wow incredible. James Spencer Briggs does have an amazing portfolio. I actually almost jumped in my car and drove out there haha. But DAMNNNNNN Kore has a few pieces that are fucking brilliant! I love how dabbles in the color for those black and white pieces. I'm clearly not ready for this tattoo because adding some color in with the ocean might be awesome! AHHH I don't know what to do.

Thank you for sharing those two artists with me. Beyond brilliant.

No problem. There is no rush. Keep looking at portfolios and take your time.

I will! :) I'm in no rush. I'd like to save up money for it. I'd like to not worry about the finances of the tattoo so I'm just saving until I know I've covered the cost at least 3 times.

Another question. When you see tattoo art hanging in parlors, what medium is that? Oil paint on parchment? Water color? I'd love to know.

AHHH I see! well I want a Greek god themed sleeve. All greys. I'm looking for someone who is really good with shading and creativity. The sleeve I want isn't mapped out in my head at all. I have the gist of it but that's about it. I basically want to have 50 different tattoos inside the one blended. HA it's hard to explain!!! Does anyone know of a great greek god artist?

Basically, you're going to want to find artists who excel in realism. Those who can do portraits are also those who can do realistic reproductions of statues and such. Nice thing about doing a full sleeve is that if you discuss in advance the long term goals with whichever artist you eventually choose, he/she can finish parts of it as often as you can afford more. Their ideas on flow and design will already be there whenever you're ready to continue.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I feel like spending weeks trying to figure out my exact design would piss the artist off? No? Do they not mind making sure every detail is exactly what I want? What kind of lenience do they have?

Map out the general elements that are important to you, get your reference material together, then approach the appropriate artist. Listen to their feedback, and make a plan for the tattoo. Knowing what you want is great, but the more constraints you throw at the artist, the less creative they will be able to be.

Your responsibility is to do the homework and find the right artist for the job. Their job is to take the idea and make it look as awesome as possible.

That's pretty much what I'm looking for. I feel like spending weeks trying to figure out my exact design would piss the artist off? No? Do they not mind making sure every detail is exactly what I want? What kind of lenience do they have?

Giving an artist a really solid idea of what you want is great, but trying to micromanage every detail is a REALLY bad idea, you will probably annoy the hell out of your artist, and lets face it, you are paying someone for their experience as well as for the actual execution of the tattoo, so they probably know much better than you what will work and what will not. Trust them to do what they do best, they may do something that is even better than what you could come up with if you were in charge of every detail.

I would never micromanage that's for sure. All I meant was if I said hey I want this face, but I want the beard to incorporate in to a different tattoo which then goes in to a different one and so on and so on they wouldn't mind? or is that also being too picky?

I would never micromanage that's for sure. All I meant was if I said hey I want this face' date=' but I want the beard to incorporate in to a different tattoo which then goes in to a different one and so on and so on they wouldn't mind? or is that also being too picky?[/quote']

This is a little of the micromanagey aspect referred to earlier, I think. Get the elements together, as stated earlier in the thread, and find an artist who will be responsible for creating and putting it all together. If you *must* have a certain beard for whatever reason, then let the artist know and then back off and wait to see what he or she creates. You will get a MUCH better tattoo this way! (Assuming you are working with a tattooist and not a home scratcher and all that).