New Life For Old Ink?

blujax01

Most of my tattoos are 15 - 20 years old. I just took a photo of my stained glass dragon and then found the original artwork. Man, time flies! And time takes it's toll, too

(Sorry kids. I'm your future, staring you in the face!:cool:).

The question becomes - do I find someone to revitalize these antiques taking the chance that they may mess with the original mojo, or do I let the pieces continue to age alongside my fading skin?

IMG_0792_zps5e5a87c5.jpg

DaughterofRegals_595_zpsf477b518.jpg

Seek out an artist with some experience in freshening up old tattoos. I had 2 freshened up in 2008, one was 30 years old and the other maybe 27 years old. Old ink is easier to cover up than I would have thought.

Rob

How did you choose that person? Obviously, if you ask most artists will say "sure, no problem" whether they have actually done it before or not.

While brutal honesty is appreciated I have to ask if you intend the same fate for your own art? When new and for years after that tattoo looked exactly like the picture, down to the rich red fading into the orange and orange/yellow glow. Bad cellphone pic maybe. Jacked up tattoo definitely not!

While brutal honesty is appreciated I have to ask if you intend the same fate for your own art? When new and for years after that tattoo looked exactly like the picture, down to the rich red fading into the orange and orange/yellow glow. Bad cellphone pic maybe. Jacked up tattoo definitely not!

I plan to let all of my tattoos age gracefully with time.

What you do with your tattoo is up to you, but I think that tattoos look cool with age.

Agreed, I love that real settled in look. I get nervous when my fresh tattoos are shockingly bright - you don't want a red tattoo that's leaning towards hot pink IMO...

How did you choose that person? Obviously, if you ask most artists will say "sure, no problem" whether they have actually done it before or not.

This one had a good portfolio of freshened up work and coverups. If you like the tattoo, may as well see what can be done with it.

Rob

Most of my tattoos are 15 - 20 years old. I just took a photo of my stained glass dragon and then found the original artwork. Man, time flies! And time takes it's toll, too

(Sorry kids. I'm your future, staring you in the face!:cool:).

The question becomes - do I find someone to revitalize these antiques taking the chance that they may mess with the original mojo, or do I let the pieces continue to age alongside my fading skin?

This would be an easy and fun one to bring back to life! Some of my favorite tattoos to do are revamping old tattoos and bringing them back to life! Its one thing i specialize in. Im not sure where your located, but I could always show you pictures of some of my brought back to life tattoos so you could get an idea of things that could be done.

This would be an easy and fun one to bring back to life! Some of my favorite tattoos to do are revamping old tattoos and bringing them back to life! Its one thing i specialize in. Im not sure where your located, but I could always show you pictures of some of my brought back to life tattoos so you could get an idea of things that could be done.

Thank you for the kind offer, but I haven't been to Cali since my brother passed. If you ever find yourself in Ohio, I'm in Columbus!

you have a shop in Santa Maria ? I have tons of 20+ yo pieces that I like that could use freshening up.

I like the "settled in" look too, however, sometimes old tattoos need to be freshened. I just finished turning a decade old upper arm piece into a 3/4 sleeve. The old piece was reworked a tiny bit and freshened, then the rest of the sleeve was built around it. I am super happy how it turned out and brought back the stoke for my old tattoo. It didn't lose mojo, it gained it. Find the right artist and it can be done. And don't be afraid to expand on the old piece!