NY Daily News Article on "Celebrity" Tattooer, Keith McCurdy (Bang Bang)

The article says "Rihanna opted for an Egyptian-inspired ribcage tattoo as one of the many that she and Bang Bang have collaborated on."

BUT, that tattoo was done by Valerie Vargas:

Frith Street Tattoo | Rihanna Tattooed by Valerie at Frith Street

If isn't just sloppy so-called journalism and that this punk is taking credit for other people's work...

I don't think I'd want anyone to know I was responsible for the garbage on Justin Bieber.

And did I read that right, when the artist said Bieber will realize one day he has bad tattoos? Is he for real, putting shit on his body and not telling him it's all bad ideas...

The article is so badly written...

I like how Rihanna asked for the best tattoo artist in new york city, so this guy's friend, instead of sending her to a great tattoo artist, sends her to an average one because they are friends. Seriously?

Because there are NOOOO good artists in NYC or the surrounding area, none at all <super sarcastic>. Ugh. She coulda had some sick tattoos (in addition to the one @Valerie Vargas did!). And what a dickbag for messing with a customer like that (referring to a friend as a joke...oy)! IMHO, that is.

Moistowelette.. You don't know what you are talking about.. As a person who has a Chris Garver tattoo I can tell you this by experience!!! Chris is a fast tattooer and his rates aren't that high compared to others that charge less. For example he took around 15 hours to complete my dragon and tiger. That is damn fast ask any person who has had a similar tattoo. Others may take 20 hours or more..

Say the going rate for a high quality tattoo these days in NYC is 200 or so.. He charges more than that but he does it much faster. So really he isn't expensive at all!!

I know another shop i went to ( not gonna say which one) charges like 40 to 50 percent more than Chris and the shop has no one who is as good as he is!

As far as good work? Come on you would have to be blind to say he does only good work!! He is one of the best tattooer in the world !! Watching him draw out my tattoo in one shot in like 30 mins .. no tattoo artist i've seen can do that! Usually it takes several hours and drawing it many times. He didn't do a preliminary drawing he just drew it straight up. Yeah he was on the show Miami ink . blah blah but in NY name me 5 tattoo artist that are even in his league?

He's nothing like Keith McCurdy!! The best tattooers in the world are all fans of his work!! Has nothing to do with his fame!

And did I read that right, when the artist said Bieber will realize one day he has bad tattoos? Is he for real, putting shit on his body and not telling him it's all bad ideas...

The article is so badly written...

Playing devil's advocate here, but I'm pretty sure he said that the tattoos Beaver got from other artists are shit and that he tattoed him before that.

But yes, the article could use a bit of editing and fact-checking...

lol my bad i ruffled your feathers. XXX+/hr is INSANE. i have 130+hrs of work from some top notch artists and none of them were nearly as much. jeff gogue is one of the best around and he is SUPER fast and he charges half as much. i know this is a matter of opinion and this forum heavily favors trad, but i will pick jeff over garver 10000 times out of 10000 times. again, garver does good work (and to please you i will say he does great work) but i stand by my comments. if it helps, i wouldnt pay XXX/hr for ANY artist. thats just me.

Edited by MoistTowelette
oopsy

who says he charges 400+/hr? maybe when he was in miami? I know that shop charges a lot.. hahaha I agree with you about that!

Garver doesn't charge 400 now that he is in NYC. He charges less ..

Not ruffling my feathers it's just Chris is a super nice and humble guy ..

Jeff Gogue is a bad ass artist.. I totally agree with you.. He a bit different than garver in terms of style..

Also Jeff is from Oregon? no? There is a huge cost of living than NYC!! Hahaha.. Like i said the average cost for a high end tattoo in NY is 200.. I know it's probably a lot less in

Oregon.

Garver is totally worth his rates in NYC..

my friend contacted him and his rate in nyc is $2000-$2600 for a full day session which is 5-6hrs for him. that equates to 400+/hr.

- - - Updated - - -

we dont discuss prices around here.

sorry i generally dont either but i was trying to prove a point.

- - - Updated - - -

tried to edit the last post and it wouldnt let me.

Believe what you want to.. I doubt he gave me a discount .... haha he didn't charge me no 400 an hour.. and he definitely didn't charge me 400 +.

- - - Updated - - -

we dont discuss prices around here.

sorry as well.. just don't like when people spread wrong information.