Hi Guys

suze

I'm new here (obviously) as well as being new to the tattoo experience. I finally got my first tattoo on 31st May (yes I will always remember the date) in Byron Bay on holidays, after 15 years of going in and out of tattoo studios. I'm 55 and it wasn't actually the courage I needed I just hadn't seen anything I loved. So on this particular Friday I saw one on the net I loved and off I went. I opted for angel wings + halo on my wrist. I thought it would hurt a bit but was not quite prepared for the extent of hurt. Anyway I survived, don't regret it. Maybe would've liked a more considerate artist (he was quite opinionated). Can I show a pic? Ok.

This was what I showed him

post-5697-146168849732_thumb.jpg

This is mine straight after

post-5697-146168849734_thumb.jpg

And this is how it is today

post-5697-146168849736_thumb.jpg

I'm hoping it becomes more defined as it heals. Otherwise I'm thinking I may visit a local studio for an opinion on giving a bit more depth. Thanks for reading. Long intro I know and already thinking of my next tatt.

1. Welcome to LST, hope you enjoy it and learn a thing or two about good tattoos.

2. Give your tattoo a few weeks to heal before you start worrying about how it looks - the body does funny things to it before the ink really sets in.

3. Your artist's brash opinions may have stemmed from you asking for a copy of someone else's tattoo placed upside-down on your wrist. Typically the tattoo should be "right-side up" to the viewer, not the wearer.

Thanks el twe. I'm not freaking out yet. He wanted to put it the "right" way, even did the stencil and made me look in the magic mirror but I felt sick looking at it upside down - to me. I would rather not have it. I know, I'm one of those painful clients. He was just trying to give me his professional opinion and I accepted most of it except that part. We had some good laughs, said several swear words together lol. All in all it was a good experience. I am loving reading all the stories on here.

I wasn't aware there was an upside down as I had seen so many photos of wrist tattoos in the position I wanted mine. I didn't mind him having an opinion, I wanted his opinion, just a bit surprised by how strong (or maybe passionate is the word) it was. In the end, I have to live with it, for me it's exactly the right way up.

Don't worry about it if you're happy with the tattoo. I also have an upside down tattoo. Its my dogs paw print on my foot. i wanted it to lay with my foot, going the same way, not thinking about it being upside down to the world. Part of me wishes I got it done the right way. The artist told me why it should go the right way, but I was a picky client too. I still don't regret it and I still love looking at it thinking about my puppy :) Since both of our tattoos are fairly small I don't think it's a big deal. When/if you start getting larger works and want me upside down, then it's an issue :)

And like every one else said, let it settle in, then think about getting it fixed up. See how you feel about it in a month or two. Also if you want to let us know where you're located, we can suggest good shops to add to it or for your future tattoo needs.

Thanks HaydenRose :) I'm in Newcastle, Australia. I have the name of an excellent girl at a nearby studio called Alien Art. Her work looks outstanding. So I will give it a month and see how I feel then :)