Introducing Myself

EstCoast

Hi all. New to this site. I underwent a traditional apprenticeship and have been tattooing for roughly 2.5 years now. While I love tattooing/creating/art, it is looking like I am going to have to abandon my goal of tattooing for a career. Since transitioning to fulltime tattooing at a reputable shop, business has dropped, my savings is virtually gone, and im going broke, but at least I can say I gave it my all. Anyways, I enjoy reading the posts on this site so I figured I'd sign up. Cheers.

I would but unfortunately most of my savings has gone towards rent/living expenses so i'm at the point now where I need to find something that will pay. Unfortunately tattooing isn't doing that. I don't know anyone other than the artist that I work for, so traveling isn't an option and I dont' have the portfolio for conventions yet.

I would but unfortunately most of my savings has gone towards rent/living expenses so i'm at the point now where I need to find something that will pay. Unfortunately tattooing isn't doing that. I don't know anyone other than the artist that I work for, so traveling isn't an option and I dont' have the portfolio for conventions yet.

Start networking man. Do some painting and send them to people around you. Send an actual letter to tattooers you respect. Work hard on your art. Developing connections is a super important thing and something I struggle with. There is a great deal to be said for pursing a relationship with other tattooers. Sometimes those relationships can be started with just sending them a painting or something and a thoughful letter.

Take it one day at a time.., I know how it is.. It's hard when things are not the greatest financially. You don't exactly feel like being social when you feel like shit about your situation.

But it does help to network. I think here is a good start. This forum helped me out. :)

Wishing you the best, and welcome!

I really appreciate the kind words from everybody, and I'll definitely take the advice to heart. You're right, Kahlan. I've been feeling quite defeated the past two days and my shop owner doesn't seem to be concerned, making things a bit more frustrating. I'm not going to sit around feeling sorry for myself, and have already begun writing to artists that I admire. As a side-note, I have posted several tattoos in my album section and always welcome constructive criticism. Tear me down for all I care, I simply strive to improve every day. Thanks again for the words and encouragement.

Since I'm not an aspiring tattooer I can't really make valid suggestions like the others have. However, I would recommend watching the artist interviews on here. Almost (if not all) of them talk about how they got started and most of them had to put up with a lot of shit and hard times before getting more work. Their stories might inspire you and help you think of a new approach or making a change.

• 11 months later...

I just wanted to reply to this thread, as I haven't been on this site in quite a bit. I took people's advice to heart, branched out and networked, and am now tattooing in a military town in TN surrounded by fantastic artists. I've been able to improve my skills while building a client base, and feel like i'm finally starting to find my way in this industry. I've attached two pictures of recent tattoo's that i'm in the midst of and would like to hear any constructive criticisms. Thanks all again for the inspiration and kind words.

Army town is gonna be exactly what you need, lots of skin time and a variety of fairly standard type of tattoos. I worked in street shops for a long time and it was a crucial thing for me. I still use every skill I learned walking the floor and handling people, both pleasant and difficult clients. Good deal man, applause.

- - - Updated - - -

I've attached two pictures of recent tattoo's that i'm in the midst of and would like to hear any constructive criticisms. Thanks all again for the inspiration and kind words.

Imo the best place for a REAL critique would be a different forum; I recommend you check out Tattoodles forum. It has a large 'pros only' section that has threads for critiques, painting trades, networking, reference sites, classifieds, guest spot opportunities, etc etc.

It's not real easy to get on, be prepared to give all of your professional information and they will cross check your employment at a real shop.. This is a good thing so as to keep out the civilians and scratchers.

Critiques can be brutal there; keep your head high, stay strong, and listen to everything said without making explanations/rationalizations/excuses/defending etc. Just listen and absorb. It's definitely tougher love than here and maybe an asshole or two. Whatever.

Army town is gonna be exactly what you need, lots of skin time and a variety of fairly standard type of tattoos. I worked in street shops for a long time and it was a crucial thing for me. I still use every skill I learned walking the floor and handling people, both pleasant and difficult clients. Good deal man, applause.

- - - Updated - - -

Imo the best place for a REAL critique would be a different forum; I recommend you check out Tattoodles forum. It has a large 'pros only' section that has threads for critiques, painting trades, networking, reference sites, classifieds, guest spot opportunities, etc etc.

It's not real easy to get on, be prepared to give all of your professional information and they will cross check your employment at a real shop.. This is a good thing so as to keep out the civilians and scratchers.

Critiques can be brutal there; keep your head high, stay strong, and listen to everything said without making explanations/rationalizations/excuses/defending etc. Just listen and absorb. It's definitely tougher love than here and maybe an asshole or two. Whatever.

Good advice