Hi! Finding the perfect person to do this tattoo?

KristenR

Hey!

quick intro - 30 some-odd mom to 2 preteen girls in the Boston area...

I have a few mediocre tattoos which, though I do like them, could use a bit of help. I think that only serves to emphasize how much I want go to the next level for my next (and biggest, and probably final) tattoo...

I'm planning a rib tattoo...and really want it to be awesome. I'm willing to get on whatever waitlist necessary, but it seems that the really sought after artists have to think the idea is fun and interesting to even consider taking on a new customer.

Assuming I'm willing to travel for this tattoo, how do I go about finding the right tattooist to create this for me?

I'm pretty open. The only requirement is that it incorporates ivy (since I have ivy on my inner bicep that I placed specifically so that it could visually be carried onto my ribcage when my arm is down) I love the idea of clockwork/steampunk/something old and metal and hard that the ivy can wrap around, but since I just want it to look cool and doesn't have to *mean* anything, I'm open to suggestion.

So glad to be here! Awesome amounts of information...looking forward to becoming part of the community

I have a few mediocre tattoos which, though I do like them, could use a bit of help. I think that only serves to emphasize how much I want go to the next level for my next (and biggest, and probably final) tattoo...

Shouldn't we all just admit our addiction and stop thinking that each tattoo will be our "last" one? :)

Welcome...cool ideas, I really like the clockwork/steampunk idea.

yeah, you're right...I know I'll get the itch again...I keep telling my husband I don't have that much more skin I'm willing to cover - and I still love him since he says "that's ok, you have good ideas. I'll let you know when you've jumped off the pier"

*disclaimer* I don't see myself getting heavily tattooed, so it matches well with what my husband finds attractive...not a "permission" issue...

Best bet is to travel to nyc! There are so many great artist here!!

As far as ivy... if it's on your inner arm I don't see why it has to continue on your rib cage.. If you were going for a full sleeve that is another story. the wrapped around look isn't a good idea unless you are looking to do a 1980's barbed wire look.. haha

I would really think what you want and I can better recommend an artist here. What style? Japanese, american traditional, realistic etc. Most artist want a definite idea on what you want. They have hundreds of request and someone who is slightly unsure doesn't help them out!

Your other bet would be to actually visit some of these shops... Like Kingsave, Adorned, Invisible, etc..

- - - Updated - - -

also connecting a mediocre tattoo with an amazing tattoo is something im sure no tattooer of high caliber will do...

As far as ivy... if it's on your inner arm I don't see why it has to continue on your rib cage.. If you were going for a full sleeve that is another story. the wrapped around look isn't a good idea unless you are looking to do a 1980's barbed wire look.. haha

I would really think what you want and I can better recommend an artist here. What style? Japanese, american traditional, realistic etc. Most artist want a definite idea on what you want. They have hundreds of request and someone who is slightly unsure doesn't help them out!

also connecting a mediocre tattoo with an amazing tattoo is something im sure no tattooer of high caliber will do...

My intention was for the ivy on my arm to look like it was vining up from my ribcage...not an armband at all, it doesn't extend to the outside of my arm.

I was disappointed with the ivy only because it ended up looking like she got bored halfway through and the depth of color went flat...hoping that whoever does my rib tattoo will rework the ivy a bit to match the new work since I decided not to go back to the other person for anything new. If no one will touch it, so be it, but I'd love it to connect.

With the other, I learned the hard way that even though someone who is highly regarded owns the shop, it doesn't mean that everyone who works in the shop is great.

Don't want Japanese, don't want anything that looks like a painting, realistic is probably what I'm looking for I guess.

I think that "open to suggestion" is different from "unsure." Wouldn't giving the tattooer some artistic license and input on the subject matter be more appealing to him/her?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much! It is helpful, though I don't just want to limit myself to Boston :)

open to suggestions is a hard way to go.. I would think of a subject matter first then go to a shop and talk with an artist. With the internet it's easy to see how good the other artist in a particular shop is.

Japanese tattoos don't look like paintings to me.. then again I'm no artist.. haha

Honestly I would look around on the internet or instagram.. Check out different designs and artists.. Narrow what you would like as a tattoo then go to a shop . Like i said Kingsave has various different artist and each one does different styles.. Justin , Phil, matt, and ofcourse Mike Rubendall.. Justin Weatherholtz does realistic stuff well. Also Matt "skinny" Bagwell does guest spots couple times a year.. Check out these guys on instragram..

I would go visit shops to get a feel for the vibe in the shop,and get a consultation with a few artists who's style you like.I always go with the artist I click with the best.

I'm definitely going to a few different artists this time. I think the reason my ivy didn't turn out as I expected based upon her portfolio was that she just didn't really want to do it - we didn't click at all. but I went through with it based upon the recommendations.

(sorry I didn't see these replies earlier - I'm still getting a feel for how the notifications work on the site)

If you are in the area I would check out invisible NYC. I mean I might be a bit biased since this is "my shop" but there is a plethora of good artists here. You have regino, matt, kiku, Chris garver, etc all under one roof! Tattoo artists are there to help turn your ideas into tattoos and put em on!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2