Horitomo Tattoo Cat Prints

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering - what are some of the frames you all have preferred for a wall of multiple medium-sized prints like the Horitomo ones? I'm close to buying a set of 10 prints of Marie Sena's ladies, which are 4" by 6," but it occurs to me that I have no idea how to display them, being pretty clueless about decorating my living space. I saw @ironchef's BB&B suggestion and may go with that since they look good...

I used these. It's nice to have the double mat - it lifts the glass off the print and gives it some depth.

However, I went to Michael's directly rather than ordering online. This company seems to have some quality control problems and many of the second mats are mounted crooked, so you need choose in person. They are generally 40% off when they have frame sales.

Studio Décor® Airfloat Gallery

• 1 month later...

So lucky!! Looking forward to seeing it!

rant on: I can't even get them to talk to me - tried calling, they said email, emailed, no answer, tried again, etc - and round and round. I guess I just don't belong to the "club". And people talk about folks not getting tattoos from good artists when the good artists ignore newbees. Sorry, rant over.

Have a great experience!

sweet - if you dont mind me asking - where ya putting it?

Upper right thigh. I gave him all the space from mid-thigh up to the swimsuit line, and around to the side midline. I just said that these are the boundaries, and however he wanted to use the space.

So lucky!! Looking forward to seeing it!

rant on: I can't even get them to talk to me - tried calling, they said email, emailed, no answer, tried again, etc - and round and round. I guess I just don't belong to the "club". And people talk about folks not getting tattoos from good artists when the good artists ignore newbees. Sorry, rant over.

Have a great experience!

Thanks!

Hmmm, not sure there is a "club." Molly is very nice - she books for Horitomo, so write to her specifically. She uses the email stateofgracetattoo@gmail.com. When I called at first, they said to write an email saying what you were looking for, where on the body, and give as much information as you could about what you want.

Molly emailed back the same day, and at the time (summer 2014) said she would put me on the waiting list and that I would get a call when they were booking for 2015/2016. I just had the consultation appointment (phone call and email follow-up) today. If it helps, I was incredibly deferential in my initial call and email, and wrote clearly what I wanted and provided reference pictures. I consider this an honor to be tattooed by Horitomo. Your email truly is a sales pitch. They probably pick and choose the work they'd like to do.

Another thing is I vaguely remember a big hullabaloo around the time Tomo opened his books for the upcoming year. Some tattooers only add time for new clients once in a while so you may have to establish contact at the right time

thanks SeeSea and exume,

I sent everything you suggested SeeSea. I do understand it is an honor to be tattooed by him and did expect to be put on a 1-2 year wait list. Or, at the very least, to hear that he just wasn't interested in what I wanted - and that would have been ok - it is his time and artistry after all. I guess I was just so disappointed not to even get a "no" email back. Since I'm traveling the country right now, I'll keep looking for a Japanese style artist who might want to work with me.

So SeeSea are you getting a cat tattoo from him - that would be really awesome! Of course, anything he does is awesome!

That's crazy, you had the opposite experience of me! When I emailed about an appointment with Horitomo, Molly replied in 20 minutes, and within the hour I had the deposit down, time, date and reference all sorted. For an overseas convention appointment. I'm sure I was just lucky with the timing, but seriously, the guys at State Of Grace are the most down to earth, laid back people, there is no elitism, you don't have to belong to some kind of club or know the right people to get an appointment, I think you just need a bit of patience, I know they have been travelling a lot recently, keep trying, hopefully they will get back to you soon!

I'm going to try again - as several have said, maybe it's all in the timing. Actually, I'm visiting my son in San Jose next week, so maybe I'll just stop in and talk to them. If they are down to earth as you say, even if their answer is no they don't want to do what I'm thinking of, surely they won't be upset at my just stopping by to chat.

Yeah, definitely keep trying, I imagine if you did turn up there is no way they would be annoyed - They would probably apologise for missing your emails, they might ask you to resend them, and they should make them a priority to respond to. Good luck, I look forward to seeing your monmon cattoo posted here someday!

After I got tattooed some of the white in my paired monon cat feet tattoos didn't heal up well, since instead of relaxing after the trip up (as intended), I came home to a car that broke down and required me to run around town to get it fixed. Fast forward to this past SFO convention, I ran into Horitomo, and he asked to check them out. After looking at them for a bit, he offered to touch them up for me. Very cool of him! I finally contacted the shop this past week and I'll be back up in August. And since I'm going up again, I scheduled a consult to get more monon cats! I must be the totally crazy cat person with no cats. I'm scared though. Arm pits. Aw f*ck me!!!

@SeeSea, you are totally going to enjoy yourself when you go up. Horitomo's station is a raised platform in one of the corners at the shop and it's filled with his amazing sketches. A really cool experience.

@peaceridge, I agree with the other posts. Keep trying and be patient. Sometimes timing is off but if you're persistent it will happen. It initially took me 2 or 3 months to get into contact with my regular artist just because at the time I tried to set something up there were a lot of conventions/guestings/trips going on with the artist.

@Lance. So you are getting Monmon cats in your armpits.

Hunh. Armpits?!?

- - - Updated - - -

@SeeSea, you are totally going to enjoy yourself when you go up. Horitomo's station is a raised platform in one of the corners at the shop and it's filled with his amazing sketches. A really cool experience.

I just saw his corner - getting so excited! It will be awesome to see his work in person.

How is he with someone else hanging out for small bits of time? My mom is probably going to fly in (she's not far away) for a couple days and we will sight see before hand. She'd like to meet him and watch a bit, and I'd like her to see some of the tebori. I told her she's dismissed from the boredom to go wander by herself during session. @TrixieFaux - didn't you say the hubs stopped by for a bit and threatened you with tebori?

Have fun @SeeSea!!! Every date that I'd be available to head out to CA to get my tattoo, is not going to work for Horitomo, so I'm going to let the idea of getting a monmon cat go for the time being. I'm taking it as a sign that I'm not meant to have one right now, between getting horribly ill right before my session last year, and this year being unable to book a date at all, I'm throwing my hands up in resignation. Need to focus on other things right now. C'est la vie.

@Lance.

I just saw his corner - getting so excited! It will be awesome to see his work in person.

How is he with someone else hanging out for small bits of time? My mom is probably going to fly in (she's not far away) for a couple days and we will sight see before hand. She'd like to meet him and watch a bit, and I'd like her to see some of the tebori. I told her she's dismissed from the boredom to go wander by herself during session. @TrixieFaux - didn't you say the hubs stopped by for a bit and threatened you with tebori?

Yay, @SeeSea...so exciting!!!!

So, yes, Doug and Stella walked me in and hung out while I filled out my paperwork and waited for the sketch. Then they left when Horitomo was ready to begin. I think I was there for about 5-6 hours and they also visited one time in the middle. They only stayed about 5 minutes so they wouldn't get in the way. He seemed fine with it. He is a man of few words but seemed very mellow and laid back.

Can't wait to see your monmon cat!

@SeeSea, I remember during one past session, the Shop mentioned that people were no longer allowed to go into the work space unless they were being tattooed. It was a City ordenance rather than a shop rule. That said they may be cool if your mom popped her head in for a couple minutes.

As for me? Yeah Monmon cats or cat heads in the arm pits. Actually it's the only space left. My torso down to my thighs is reserved. That leaves only my hands, neck, arm pits, and my lower left leg open. I'm kind of keen on leaving my neck and hands un-tattooed, and for whatever oddness, kind of like wanting to leave my lower leg open too. Hmm, I suppose I could get the lower part of my front done "gobu" style where inner thighs are open. I could then get him to do my inner thighs perhaps. But hey, if Beaux Brady can get his arm pit done by Horitomo and survive, I can hope to do so too! Ha ha!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...