A question about colours: Yellow onto Red

NorthernBrother

Hey everyone,

So I got a tattoo done about 6 months ago and everything seems to be just dandy. However, in the near future or more likely within the next 6 months I hope I can get it "redone" or touched up.

More specifically, I have a whole bunch of red in a spiral around and behind a symbol. Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with it at all. However, I would like there to be more. What I would like to be done is, instead of a red spiral, is fire surrounding, or spinning around (obviously in the direction of the red spiral.)

Now, my question.

Would it be possible to do a flame design over red ink? Such as put yellow and a little orange over top? Or would the red just show through?

If so, would it take a lot of ink and potentially more than one session to get it done? Or could it be done fairly easily?

If maybe, how much red would show through?

If not, well, looks like I'll have to figure something else out then eh?

Thanks for all your help and advice!!

Hey everyone,

So I got a tattoo done about 6 months ago and everything seems to be just dandy. However, in the near future or more likely within the next 6 months I hope I can get it "redone" or touched up.

More specifically, I have a whole bunch of red in a spiral around and behind a symbol. Don't get me wrong, I am not unhappy with it at all. However, I would like there to be more. What I would like to be done is, instead of a red spiral, is fire surrounding, or spinning around (obviously in the direction of the red spiral.)

Now, my question.

Would it be possible to do a flame design over red ink? Such as put yellow and a little orange over top? Or would the red just show through?

If so, would it take a lot of ink and potentially more than one session to get it done? Or could it be done fairly easily?

If maybe, how much red would show through?

If not, well, looks like I'll have to figure something else out then eh?

Thanks for all your help and advice!!

Hi there,

Those are probably questions you should take to your artist. There's a lot of questions that need to be answered by you before anyone here could answer yours, and that would be so much easier in person. Where is your tattoo? How big is it? How much space is around it? How much bigger would you be willing to go?

Generally speaking, though, if there's enough room to expand, and you don't mind going a bit bigger, I'm sure your artist could accommodate your request. Not much help, I know, but seriously, go talk to your artist.

Hi there,

Those are probably questions you should take to your artist. There's a lot of questions that need to be answered by you before anyone here could answer yours, and that would be so much easier in person. Where is your tattoo? How big is it? How much space is around it? How much bigger would you be willing to go?

Generally speaking, though, if there's enough room to expand, and you don't mind going a bit bigger, I'm sure your artist could accommodate your request. Not much help, I know, but seriously, go talk to your artist.

I figured as much, there is a lot of free skin around almost all of the red, and size I have no issues with at all.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Thank you.

Post a pic of the tattoo that you have. Also like mentioned if there is enough room Im sure it could be done, but it also depends on what color red it is. Is it a bright red, a dark red, etc. Lighter is easier to put other colors on top of. darker not so much, thats common sense. But def talk to your artist and see their thoughts. Nonetheless wed still like to see the tattoo you are talking about!

I have done somethings I didnt think would work from time to time. I covered orange with yellow and you couldnt tell the orange was there at all.

Post a pic of the tattoo that you have. Also like mentioned if there is enough room Im sure it could be done, but it also depends on what color red it is. Is it a bright red, a dark red, etc. Lighter is easier to put other colors on top of. darker not so much, thats common sense. But def talk to your artist and see their thoughts. Nonetheless wed still like to see the tattoo you are talking about!

I have done somethings I didnt think would work from time to time. I covered orange with yellow and you couldnt tell the orange was there at all.

205164_10151232541163509_652736405_n.jpg

This is a better representation of the colour, but not really, its a terrible photo, and right now I can't really take a decent picture, but its good enough to get and idea

fdb0fe23-6f03-4e3f-bc54-ffdcbad47062_zps58e1c927.jpg

Sorry about the sizing and whatnot.

My cell phone is making the red look a little brighter and more vibrant than it really is, the ink is a bit darker and not quite so... intense?

That is easy to add some orange and yellows into to make it look more like a firey background!

Thanks man! That gave me a huge boost of excitement and relief. I figured it would not be too hard.

Got the answer I was hoping for, but I really need to consult an artist who will/can do roughly what I am looking for.

Since this thread is pretty much done, Mods feel free to close.