Does your skin break out after being tattooed?

RScott

I don't know if my skin just gets clogged easily but a few days after getting tattooed I always break out with a bunch of pimples all over the area. I use A&D for about 3-5 days then switch to lotion after. I've tried several different lotions. This happened on my lower leg(about 10-12 at a time) and is now doing it again on my arm. It's not the end of the world, but if anyone else has had it happen a lot and found a way to prevent it I'd love to hear it.

This has been talked about a bit on LST. It is a fairly common occurrence. Generally, in my experience it is caused by using too much lotion or product on the tattoo. This causes your pores to get clogged. I personally use very very minimal (almost dry heal) my tattoos now, and I don't get any kind of pimples on them. While I'm going to say this is the best method, it does work for me quite well. Try just easing up on the lotion.

I found that A&D was horrible.. I also think that 3 to 5 days is overdoing it. I used that product for my first tattoo and I got a minor breakout as well. Since then I've been using aquaphor and haven't had a problem.

I only use aquaphor for a day. Then I leave the tattoo alone for the next day or so.. Just make sure you clean it couple times a day of course. After that I use plain lotion.

the first question you must ask yourself when seeing pimples is... " Is this an infection?" Followed by my recommendation of immeadiate amputation.

Lol jk, it happens to me too. Problably just an ointment issue causing it

Yea, I wasn't saying I was scared of anything like that and know pimples are common, I just was wondering if anyone else was prone to a lot of pimples on tattooed areas in the weeks following getting tattooed and may have tried alternative ways that they'd have to share. I've gone less and less with ointment each sitting I've had but it doesn't seem to help. I've always used A&D; maybe Aquafor or others breath better.

Again, I know it's no big deal but often those pimples swell, dry out and cause the skin to break, which adds a little bit of time to healing for me. And an arm full of pus filled pimples is something I generally try to avoid regardless. ;)

I found that A&D was horrible.. I also think that 3 to 5 days is overdoing it. I used that product for my first tattoo and I got a minor breakout as well. Since then I've been using aquaphor and haven't had a problem.

Thanks. I'll give Aquaphor a shot after my next sitting. That's the answer I was hoping someone would say.

Happens to me and I think it is caused by "razor burn" from getting the area shaved.

I think that's part of it, but also only happens right after I get tattooed. Thanks for the reply.

Yea, I wasn't saying I was scared of anything like that and know pimples are common, I just was wondering if anyone else was prone to a lot of pimples on tattooed areas in the weeks following getting tattooed and may have tried alternative ways that they'd have to share. I've gone less and less with ointment each sitting I've had but it doesn't seem to help. I've always used A&D; maybe Aquafor or others breath better.

Again, I know it's no big deal but often those pimples swell, dry out and cause the skin to break, which adds a little bit of time to healing for me. And an arm full of pus filled pimples is something I generally try to avoid regardless. ;)

Thanks. I'll give Aquaphor a shot after my next sitting. That's the answer I was hoping someone would say.

I think that's part of it, but also only happens right after I get tattooed. Thanks for the reply.

Yea like I said before try switching products (I've personally never used A&D) and use less and less. The most important thing is cleaning it with hot water and soap well. Pimples = clogged pores, you just gotta figure out what is the cause. Also, if you sweat alot in those areas, it probably doesn't help

I don't know if my skin just gets clogged easily but a few days after getting tattooed I always break out with a bunch of pimples all over the area. I use A&D for about 3-5 days then switch to lotion after. I've tried several different lotions. This happened on my lower leg(about 10-12 at a time) and is now doing it again on my arm. It's not the end of the world, but if anyone else has had it happen a lot and found a way to prevent it I'd love to hear it.

I do a little on my legs,I always thought it was from shaving,

I use aquaphor,it could be from that a little too,

but it only happens on my legs,it's doesn't occur on my arms or neck.

Yea like I said before try switching products (I've personally never used A&D) and use less and less. The most important thing is cleaning it with hot water and soap well. Pimples = clogged pores, you just gotta figure out what is the cause. Also, if you sweat alot in those areas, it probably doesn't help

I'll give Aquaphor a try. I'm pretty anal about cleaning things twice a day. I do sweat like a mess though, so that could add to it. Thanks.

@RScott' date=' I wasnt trying to give you a hard time or anything, I was referring to an old poster on here who lost his shit when he had a pimple on a tattoo and kept thinking it was infected. My bad![/quote']

Ha, no worries. I think I read that same post so wanted to be sure I wasn't confused with that person. lol

I'd blame it on the A&D ointment - that stuff is nasty, not particularly good for sensitive skin, and takes forever to wash off. Try the Aquaphor instead - really warm it up in your hands before applying it in a super thin (almost non-existent) layer. Re: lotion, try getting an all natural or organic brand that's not scented - will be better for the sensitive skin.

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2013 at 1:22 PM, RScott said:

Since this is an old post, do you mind letting me know if it lost any pigmentation?? I got mine first tattoo 11 days ago and i switched from using aquaphor twice a day to using lotion once a day. it might have been the moisture change, but it seems dry healing might be the best idea, but yeah. It'd be great if I knew if you lost any pigmentation and had to get it touched up! Thank you for any response!

• 1 year later...
On 6/22/2016 at 9:58 PM, christina said:

Since this is an old post, do you mind letting me know if it lost any pigmentation?? I got mine first tattoo 11 days ago and i switched from using aquaphor twice a day to using lotion once a day. it might have been the moisture change, but it seems dry healing might be the best idea, but yeah. It'd be great if I knew if you lost any pigmentation and had to get it touched up! Thank you for any response!

I got a response a year later lmao. But no a&is ointment doesn't fade the tattoo lol. You just gotta let it breathe every couple of hours no matter how much it itches. At least that's how mine healed. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My skin never reacts to ink. However the edges of where the tegaderm were applied show a red outline for about a week after I remove the tegaderm. I am very meticulous in my cleaning ritual and aftercare. I carefully clean the area with Hush tattoo foam and then apply Richie Bulldog Hustle Butter for ten days after the tegaderm comes off. All just part of the deal for me.

• 8 months later...

Yes this happens to me too!

I think it is the aftercare I use. I know Hustle butter is well known aftercare and has a lot of good reviews, but i have varied the amount i put and either way, it still clogs my pores.

Once I switch over to a light lotion, the pimples start to go away.