Dry healing

slayer9019

I've tried a few different methods and so far I use 2 depending on the area. My first for non ditch areas is to let it dry heal for 2 days while taking super hot showers 3x a day at least. After the 2 days are up I apply aquaphor every few hours and usually heal within a week. If it's in a ditch area I keep that shit wrapped up for 3 days with Aquaphor and plastic wrap while taking a minimum of 3 hot showers a day. It keeps it from getting real crusty and is less painful from my experience.

Can dry healing be used for all areas of the body? I'm wondering if I would have lost less ink on my inner wrist/forearm if i hadn't applied any cream. It only seemed to lose scab after I put the lotion on. It definitely sounds like an effective method

I think it's a pretty safe rule of thumb to just follow your tattooers aftercare instructions. For any different methods you can discuss that with them to see if they think it's a good idea.

Different methods will work better for different people.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been dry-healing for the last few years, but we moved to Seattle at the beginning of fall and my wife and I got tattooed in the middle of winter. The Ultra Cold (compared to the Bay Area, anyways) was a motherfucker and the scabs kept cracking open and it wouldn't heal until I started applying lotion/Aquafor two-to-three times per day.

Anyone have similar problems?

• 2 weeks later...

@spookysproul I don't have another city to compare it to, really, since most of my healing has taken place in Seattle, regardless of the city that I have been tattooed in, but I will say that I am in the habit of pre-conditioning the area to be tattooed for at least two weeks (or as long as you have!) pre-tattoo, and the condition of my skin while healing improved substantially once I started doing that. It might help! Give it a try :).

Welcome to Seattle, btw!

I've been dry-healing for the last few years, but we moved to Seattle at the beginning of fall and my wife and I got tattooed in the middle of winter. The Ultra Cold (compared to the Bay Area, anyways) was a motherfucker and the scabs kept cracking open and it wouldn't heal until I started applying lotion/Aquafor two-to-three times per day.

Anyone have similar problems?

this has definitely been a problem for me in the winter. I live in toronto, and it gets cold as shit here. scabs form and start to crack badly.

I hate putting lotion on thicker scabs, but it seems to be the only way to stop the cracking and let it heal.

@spookysproul I don't have another city to compare it to, really, since most of my healing has taken place in Seattle, regardless of the city that I have been tattooed in, but I will say that I am in the habit of pre-conditioning the area to be tattooed for at least two weeks (or as long as you have!) pre-tattoo, and the condition of my skin while healing improved substantially once I started doing that. It might help! Give it a try :).

Welcome to Seattle, btw!

Thanks for the tip! Pre-conditioning has honestly never occurred to me. I just got zapped a week ago, and it peeled very quickly and I've just been applying Aquafor twice a day to keep it from drying out while the skin goes back to normal. However, I'm excited to try pre-conditioning next time.

And thanks! We're very pleased with it.

this has definitely been a problem for me in the winter. I live in toronto, and it gets cold as shit here. scabs form and start to crack badly.

I hate putting lotion on thicker scabs, but it seems to be the only way to stop the cracking and let it heal.

Yeah, putting lotion on scabs always gives me the heebie-jeebies, but it seems to do the trick.

@spookysproul I specifically take an oil (I like coconut, olive, jojoba, or avocado) and hit the to-be-tattooed area while my skin is still moist from the shower. After that, I take a heavier cream (I have been using a calendula/orange one from the salve co - you can find it in the bulk section @ rainbow natural remedies on cap hill - it's actually a lotion and the only one I would recommend instead of an actual cream) and go over the same area again. The cream helps seal in the moisture from the shower and the oil, and provides another layer of moisture.

In fact, my fav progression is: shower, jojoba, coconut, and then lotion/cream. Jojoba has some added benefits due to its similarity to sebum produced naturally by the skin.

Again, this is all tattoo PREP, not aftercare!

I like to walk around a giant boulder three time. Upon reaching my third rotation, I point a six shooter pistol in the air and fire twice; in one second increments. After the second shot is fired. I hop on one leg backwards, around the boulder Three times. Guaranteeing a 100% successful heal. Hope this helps ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive tried several different ways as perscibed by artist. My last tattoo I was told to keep it bandaged for 24hrs or following morning. Wash it periodically through out the day and not to put anything on it. 2nd day before bed slap a thin coat of vasaline on it rebandage. (I never would of thought vasaline always been told not to use it) Wake up wash it and continue to wash it periodically during the day and not put anything on it. After 3 4 days of just washing it apply non scented lotion. My last tattoo was placed in the ditch of my arm generally a sensitive area to heal with out scabbing and crackingI followed his instructions and never had a tattoo heal as nice and fast. By the end of the second day it looked like it was ready to start flaking off. No scabs at all. 3rd day while showering it most all flaked off and it nearly looked healed. 6th day it appears to be fully healed.

Okay I dont have a bolder will a tree stump work? Mid way through the process the police arrived so I had to ditch my pistol got two shots off but did not complete third rotation backwards. Any particular leg to hop back on or should I do a left right left sequence. Seemed to help a little will try again tonight my neighbors have a nice bolder to work with. Also should I have my clothing on? Or just the area of treatment exposed? Does the caliber of pistol matter? Hollow points or fmj? Was also thinking maybe a rifle in the other hand may speed up the process. I was thinking on throwing a 360 twist on the final rotation. I apologize I dont mean to alter your method but if I can add guns to the experience im game.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the pumping hot water way of healing for a few years myself. works a treat.

Steaming hot towel wash down directly after application.

Pumping hot shower (along with ice cold cider) as soon as I get home, washing it down with a body wash.

I only apply a dot of cream for any hard healing areas, mainly is creases or on the hands.

My tattoo artist told me to remove my bandage after a couple hours and after that just run it under some warm water and gently clean it to get blood/ink off but after that to not do anything to it until the next day. After that I just put a super small amount of lubriderm on it only twice a day and it heals great. Other than that I don't touch it at all (except for dabbing it dry after the shower of course).

My skin has always been pretty soft and not crackly so the kind of 'less is more' works well for me but I could see tattoos maybe drying up and cracking too much for someone with naturally dryer skin. My tattoo artist told me he sometimes doesn't even use the lubriderm and it his have healed fine.

I should also mention I live in a really really dry climate (especially in winter).