Jellyfish tattoos

I have been seeing jellyfish tattoos everywhere lately, online in random galleries and all over people in the streets. Part of this is that summer is finally reaching Seattle, and the layers are coming off! I think I became aware of them around November of this last year. Does anyone know where this is coming from? Pop culture? I see a LOT! Always with very long tentacles/tendrils. (if that's the word?) I have been seeing them on upper arms and also on the back.

Natural progression. Eagle is to Owl as Octopus is to Jellyfish. I really don't have any evidence to back that up, but it sounds nice.

actually...that sounds about right...the owl thing sort of crept up on me, too...

I am upvoting Octopuses & Eagles over Owls & Jellyfish - which is not to say the latter do not have their place, I just like the Os & Es as tattoos more. So far. Til slowly the others creep into my conscious and take over. Et cetera ad nauseam.

• 6 months later...
When will we have snakes replaced by eels?

Regardless of animal, a cool tattoo is a cool tattoo.

True and funny you mention snakes and eels. I am an avid scuba diver. I feel no connection to snakes, but eels are one my favorite animals to see on a dive. I can definitely see an eel tattoo in my future.

Octopus and jellyfish interest me too. The free flowing shape gives flexibility on placement. An octopus has an ability to mimic the look, color and patterns of things it is touching. That opens all kinds of possibilities on tattoo design.

Wow, I just saw this. I'm in the process of a full jellyfish back piece. I'm going with an ocean theme and needed a free flowing shape because of a giant coverup involved. It's working out beautifully.

Look forward to seeing it. Are you going color ? What artist did you choose ?

I've been semi-planning an octopus idea for years, but I'm not 100% sure how I wanna approach it, so I haven't yet. Other things keep happening first. I've got some ideas though.

Not meaning to sound like a dick, but could someone post some cool jellyfish tattoos? I feel like any I've seen haven't really grabbed me.

I've been semi-planning an octopus idea for years, but I'm not 100% sure how I wanna approach it, so I haven't yet. Other things keep happening first. I've got some ideas though.

Not meaning to sound like a dick, but could someone post some cool jellyfish tattoos? I feel like any I've seen haven't really grabbed me.

tumblr_mjmtc342001r2m7jgo1_1280.jpg

I think Jellyfish tattoos a pretty cool. A lot of them that I see though remind me of Ernst Haeckel's paintings. For those who don't know who on earth he was, he was a biologist/artist and whole load of other things around the end of the 19th start of the 20th century. Anyway I've put some of his paintings below so that you can see what I mean about the similarity in between his work and jellyfish tattoos. It might just be me seeing similarities that aren't really there but especially the picture with the coloured jellyfish on it I feel has been referenced a lot. Which is great because it's awesome.