Jellyfish tattoos

I do, yep! As of the end of 2012, anyway. I was on the east coast before that.

Honestly, I had a rough idea of my concept and it involved a whole lot of fiddly details (geometric, Mendhi, patterns; cramming that stuff into an abstract octopus shape) that kind of narrowed down the likely field of interested artists. Artist availability kinda narrowed it down even more.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to tattoo stuff -- I know just enough to realize how much I don't know. I spent a lot of time plugging relevant keywords into google image, scouring images and related images, and bookmarking possibles. I'm glad I discovered LST, because that'll make researching future tattoos much easier. :cool:

I'm a newbie too. I like your octopus concept and choice of artist. My idea is similar, but I want the octopus outline shape to be recognizable/standard. The octopus pattern is where I want my artist to get creative. I asked him to have the octopus hold a starfish with a cool unique pattern and have the octopus mimic that pattern in it's body and legs. Kind of cool since in real life octopi mimic what they touch.

Here is an update on my whale shark tattoo. Finished this past Sunday. Tail is a little wonky in position and looks because it's covering a big old surgery scar.

shark51.jpg

Thanks. I also really like how he did the ridges on the back/side of the shark. It's realistic and gives the tattoo depth.

It would be great to see this in person - the contours look so real. Very nice.

This looks so familiar the contour lines and all - you got me digging - this is a pic I took in Galapagos. Colors are not enhanced - this is slide film. I had to dodge the tail to get this, and the videographer in front of me almost got nailed. But that's another picture.

Edited by SeeSea
Got a thumbnail to load

I got an email from my artist's PR rep saying he wouldn't make it to the states in April, after all. Too many octopus tattoos for one city at one time, maybe. Alas.

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Maybe someone here has a recommendation for an artist in your area instead. (Get diving again - @scubaron and I will drag you to the Galapagos for whale shark mania! :-) )

Edited by SeeSea
horrible grammar

That sucks your artist cancelled. At least it was a month in advance.

Guess it's time to start your artist search again. I'm sure there are a lot of artists on the west coast that will do a great job. Although it can be tricky when you want an original, unique, abstract piece. Maybe go to a few conventions ?

Nice! Ahh, I would love to see one of those in the water. :)

I got an email from my artist's PR rep saying he wouldn't make it to the states in April, after all. Too many octopus tattoos for one city at one time, maybe. Alas.

PR rep?! Who were you going to?

Thanks! Yeah, I am bummed, but it's not terrible...there are just so many good artists out there. (Though the one I'm trying to flag down hasn't answered my email, booooo.) And I would love to go to a convention! And also dive the Galapagos. Though at this point, I think I'd need to get recertified; I've been out of the water for years. Womp womp.

@Cork Haha. That's how she signs her emails. It sounds like she manages their fb, his travel/bookings, and whatever else for their shop. He's just a guy from Denmark. I like his stuff, but I don't think he's anybody that LSTers would consider super-important.

Cool. Would be cool to see when it is finished it you don't mind showing.

It won't be finished any time soon, but I posted a pic over in the What's Your Longest Tattoo Session. It's just the first pass but you get the idea - I can't wait for more color and detail. Since this is a JELLYFISH thread, I'll add that 2 moon jellies will be around my right shoulder. That should be my next session at the end of the month.

This goes right to my post: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/358-whats-your-longest-tattoo-session-page26.html#post88190

Looks awesome !

Will be great to see this progressing.

Where did you dive with a sea snake ?

Thanks! I'm pretty excited. I haven't seen too many underwater back pieces so there's not much to compare to. We got so much done on Friday.

The sea snake was in the Solomon Islands. I just happened to spot him wandering around on the sandy bottom. He's the only one like that I've ever seen.

I can't wait to see that part of the tattoo finished - my artist is going to do a drop shadow under the snake and it will make him look like he's 3D and jumping right off my back!