Mel Gibson to Cameo in 'Hangover 2' as Bangkok Tattoo Artist

Steve

How random is this..

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Embattled actor Mel Gibson will make a cameo appearance as a tattoo artist in the upcoming "Hangover" sequel.

A source familiar with the production told the Hollywood Reporter that the role is "pivotal" to the plot, which features one of the characters going under the needle during a night of debauchery.

Here's the full story: Mel Gibson to play tattoo artist in "Hangover 2"

Some reporters are saying that it could save his career the same way the first one helped out Mike Tyson's public image..

Yeah, I heard some of the actors refused to even be in the movie if he was apart of it.

Stay strong Gibson.

I can assure you that no actors refused to be in this movie if Mel was in it. I lived in LA for almost eight years, and I know that actors do not turn down work on big movies based on their principals. The producers may have decided that it was too risky of a move financially, but no one did it based on an overriding since of moral obligation. The guy is and always was an epic douchebag. It might be kind of funny to see him in it. Anyone that has ever been to Bangkok knows that there are some very creepy white guys living there, and he would be very believable in the role.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just found this:

Liam Neeson says filming ‘Hangover 2’ was ‘intense’ - SEE VIDEO

By MOLLY MULDOON , IrishCentral.com Staff Writer

Published Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 8:22 AMUpdated Wednesday, February 9, 2011, 8:56 AM

Liam Neeson has said that shooting his scenes for “The Hangover 2” was “intense.”

The Ballymena, Co. Antrim native stepped in to replace Mel Gibson in the small role of the tattoo artist in the upcoming movie.

Speaking about his cameo, Neeson revealed he was only on set for one day, but enjoyed the experience.

He said, "I didn't make it to Thailand. I made it to Warner Bros' studios. They built a set, which could've been in Thailand.

"It was fun. It was. It was pretty intense. I was only there for one day - a Sunday, as far as I remember.

“I play an Irish tattooist, strangely enough, living in Bangkok. At least I made him Irish," Neeson explained, adding that his character will be covered head to toe in ink. "I get covered in tattoos… shamrocks, 'I Love Ireland,' all stamped over me."

The actor said he especially liked meeting up with Bradley Cooper, with whom he co-stared in the 2010 fim “The A-Team,” as well as the other two stars, Zach Galafianakis and Ed Helms.

Neeson told MTV.com, "It was good to be with Bradley Cooper -- he's a buddy -- and the other two gentlemen, I'd never met them before, but I love what they do.

"The three of them are just hilarious. They reinvent the Three Stooges in a very funny way."

The sequel to “The Hangover” is set to hit cinemas this summer.

Irish Central

and did you hear Bill Clinton will also cameo in the Hangover 2?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Hangover 2 seems to be getting so much press through the whole production of this movie. Is it going to be one of those movies with all this hype then it falls flat on its face? And now on to more news regarding the hangover 2 and tattoos.......

Should Copyright Apply To Mike Tyson’s Facial Tattoo?

He might be a bit past his prime, but angering Mike Tyson is still an incredibly bad idea, as the main characters of the 2009 hit movie The Hangover learned—repeatedly. But should movie stars like Ed Helms (pictured at left) quiver in fear because of Tyson’s tattoo artist? The tattooist is trying to block the launch of the sequel with a copyright lawsuit, saying that copying his design onto actor Helms’ face is actually a kind of tattoo piracy.

The lawsuit (embedded below) argues that the only authorized version of the tattoo is the one on Mike Tyson’s face, and that any other version is a pirated version. It asks the judge to issue an injunction stopping the movie from launching on schedule. The movie is currently slated to be shown in U.S. theaters beginning on Memorial Day weekend, according to The Hollywood Reporter, which first reported the suit.

Tattoo art is a interesting area of copyright. On the one hand, a tattoo artist should theoretically own the copyright to his work like any other artist. On the other hand, the work is so intimately tied to the place of its “publication”—it’s on another person’s body—that it seems crazy to give the artist, rather than the tattooed person, total control over how the artwork is displayed, photographed, and filmed. (Coincidentally, Techdirt featured two posts earlier this month ruminating on the peculiar position of tattoos in intellectual property law.)

Before getting the tattoo, Tyson signed a contract (included as an exhibit to the lawsuit) which states that “all artwork, sketches and drawings related to my tattoo and any photographs of my tattoo are property of Paradox-Studio of Dermagraphics.” Of course, if that clause is taken literally, it would seem to suggest that there’s no reason the artist couldn’t have sued over the first Hangover movie, and could demand royalties from Tyson for having his own face photographed. But the artist, award-winning tattooist S. Victor Whitmill, has chosen not to make that difficult argument here, suing over Ed Helms’ image instead.

Tyson himself presumably doesn’t have a problem with his tattoo being copied onto Helms’ face, since he will appear again in the sequel, according to the movie’s IMDB page.

Whitmill is asking for a preliminary injunction to stop the movie from launching. If that were to happen—and that’s a big stretch—Warner Brothers Entertainment would be under a lot of pressure to settle the case. Otherwise, I would hope the studio could win its case on the grounds that the Ed Helms tattoo is a parody and thus fair use. Just comparing Tyson’s tough-yet-completely-crazy glare to Helms’ quivering, fearful visage is a comedic experience in itself. In addition, anyone who wanted to impersonate Tyson effectively—think Saturday Night Live—would have to make a copy of the tattoo, so Whitmill’s lawsuit has serious First Amendment concerns, as well.

PaidContent.org

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw this:

Hangover: Part II Tattoo Set-To Not to Delay Premiere

By David Kravets

A federal judge declined to halt Thursday’s opening of The Hangover: Part II, which is embroiled in a copyright lawsuit about a tattoo on the face of one of the film’s characters.

Tattooist Victor Whitmill claims Warner Bros. is misappropriating a tattoo he has copyrighted and had emblazoned on Mike Tyson’s face in 2003. U.S. District Judge Catherine Perry of Missouri declined to halt the movie, (.pdf) but said Tuesday the lawsuit for damages could move forward.

Whitmill was demanding that the judge block the tattoo from being shown in marketing and in the comedy film itself. The lawsuit claims the movie features a “virtually exact reproduction” of the original, which appears on the Stu Price character played by actor Ed Helms.

A central theme in the litigation, if it moves forward to trial, is whether copyright of images on the human body can be enforced.

It’s not the first time a tattoo artist has wanted to cash in on infringement allegations. In a 2005 federal case settled out of court, an artist who tattooed NBA star Rasheed Wallace’s right arm sued to stop the forward from “displaying” the tattoo in Nike advertisements.

Wired

Just saw this:

the world really would go to crap if we could all copyright what we put on other human beings. that would be like ownership of part of another human! was or wasn't mr. tyson asked if HIS tattoo can be replicated for the film? i dont feel that the tattooer should be able to claim a right to the tattoo. if such was the case, walt disney would be able to put a lot of tattoers into bankruptcy!