hello from South Carolina

jfmcdon81

Hello everyone,

My name is James and I live in South Carolina, but I have been getting my tattoos at Baltimore Tattoo Museum in Baltimore, MD. I only have 3 tattoos right now, but it's not for lack of want...I tend to over-think things. I would like to eventually get half-sleeves and possibly a few in random places (back, side, calf). I currently have a Celtic cross and a banner with my family's motto on it, my daughters name with flowers on the inside of my bicep and a Celtic knotwork design with tribal around it.

Speaking of that, I would actually like some advice on that Celtic/knotwork tattoo. I will own up to the fact that it was a "rookie mistake" of not thinking it through and getting something that I am not happy with. I, personally, don't like anything tribal, so I really don't know why I got it. I would like to get it altered or covered up, but I am completely lost on what to get. I would appreciate ANY advice or suggestions what could be done to improve/alter/change/cover-up this tattoo.

If anyone thinks I should create a new thread later on (after my initial 10 posts) to get more responses, feel free to say so.

Thanks

james

Who's been doing your work at the Museum? I was just there last weekend doing a guest spot.

I went a long time ago and got my Celtic cross done by someone who is no longer there (Dave Sobel, I think was his name) and then I recently got something done for my daughter by Josh Griffin. I have talked to him about doing something with this Celtic/tribal quagmire I have, but I thought I would join this forum and see if I could get some help/ideas that I could take to him. I really like the work he did on the tattoo for my daughter, so I figured I would stick with him, plus it's easy to stop in there, since my wife's family lives in Baltimore and we travel up there

Both Dave Sobel and Josh are good dudes.

Every artist had a different vision when it comes to a cover-up. Best thing to do is visit in person, that's the only way an artist can have a solid plan of attack. I can tell one thing; it will be a big tattoo. Perhaps half sleeve. It's next to impossible to cover a tattoo with a only slightly larger tattoo.

Maybe a big front view wolf head, reaper/clouds/smoke, big gorilla head, Afro Jesus, big anvil, skull/top hat/Mr. Lucky, really big raven, etc. just go in and get a consultation.

Also, there's nothing an 8 ball won't cover.

Thanks for the suggestions. For my own knowledge, how does a cover-up work? Does the offending piece get covered up with anything? Or does the cover piece need to be designed in a way that incorporates the original tattoo? Can the artist put color where there is currently black?