Tattooing!

wildchild

I've loved tattoos since I was 13. Recently I decided to ask if I could apprentice at a local shop. Surprisingly they said yes. I say surprisingly because I came into the shop with just my sketchbook, there wasn't even tattoable designs in there. And to top it off I had zero tattoos. I currently don't have tattoos, but I'm getting my first one in less than a month. Now that I've been learning more about tattoo culture I'm lucky they didn't laugh me out of the shop. I've been there for over a month and I have two more months until I start tattooing. Everyone at the shop is like my second family. They have taught be a lot and it's wonderful to be able to ask about what works or what needs fixing for designs. I decided to join here because I'm a huge nerd when it comes to information. I've been trying to soak up everything about tattooing I can get my hands on. I've already watched every single one of the last sparrow videos.

Where are you learning to tattoo?

I'm learning at a small custom shop.

They let you become an apprentice having no tattoos of your own, and you'll start tattooing within three months of starting your apprenticeship? Danger Will robinson.

Anyway, enjoy the site. :)

It's kind of funny she said three months was a long time. Even though a lot of the greats had to wait a year or two until they started tattooing.

- - - Updated - - -

How much are you paying?
I pay in bitchwork haha.

Welcome to LST! So my apprenticeship experience was not too different from what it sounds like you're about to get yourself into. Solid advice: jump ship now, get like 10-20 more tattoos, paint your ass off, and try a better shop. Ideally, a street shop with walk-ins, tons of flash, and artists versed in several styles who do large and small work on a regular basis. I understand that this is rough advice to hear, but I can guarantee that you will have a much easier and much more fun time in your tattoo journey if you take that advice. I fully get what it's like to be young and hungry for it(still am), but you will benefit tenfold throughout the rest of your life if you start out the right way with the right information at your foundations.

Or you can do what I did, which is apprentice at the first shop that will take you, start tattooing right away, fuck a lot of people up, not learn shit about your craft, leave half way through your apprenticeship, and then get another job at whatever shop will take you as you figure out how you're going to get good information and further yourself on your own.

In the end, whatever you choose to do, it is all going to be difficult. What it mostly comes down to is are you willing to spend the time right now to learn the right way, or do you want to spend the next 5-10 years unlearning what you've been taught and figuring out what's what. Having someone tell you that they will teach you how to tattoo is the most exciting thing in the world! The fact remains that the time spent in a shop for 2 tattoos is not enough time to let you know if it's really something you're ready to be a part of for the rest of your life.

Anyway.. sorry for being so preachy. You will decide what's best for you and your life. I wish you the best of luck on this incredible journey that is tattooing and getting tattooed.

I've been painting my ass off for the last three years now I'm working on flash. I normally can do three or four sheets a day. I'm just trying to improve my skill. Thank-you very much for the advice. It's definitely difficult to hear some of what you said. You definitely got me thinking... I do absolute love flash and the ideal of walk-ins and focusing on the craft.

An older tattooer gave me the same advice, don't go to the first shop that will take you. But I do honestly think that the shop will teach me the right way, not sure if I'm sure right or just too dam hungry. But I do know that I'm going to be with this shop for at least a year, I signed a contract and made a commitment to the owner. They treat me like family and the head tattooer is pretty amazing. The other two apprentices there do amazing work too.

That's good that they had you sign a contract, hopefully that means that they're taking their end of the deal seriously too. Admirable painting volume, keep it up! That rules! I think at the end of the day, it all just comes down to you. What you want and how you go about it. I really really do wish that I had started my apprenticeship learning how to make tattoo equipment and learning how to paint well. There are no words for how much understanding your equipment and designs help your technical ability to apply a tattoo.

Well since you're in it full swing at this point, my last piece of advice is to hold off on putting needle to skin for the first year. Build up your work ethic and craft skills first.

Good luck in all of this! Really looking forward to watching you progress and contributing to the forum. Cheers!

I looked them up... You couldn't pay me to get a tattoo there.

Listen, you seem nice and earnest.

Go get tattooed, learn to draw, then go seek out a proper apprenticeship. These guys will only teach you to be at their level, and if you're serious about tattooing, then you should go out and seek something different.

They are highly irresponsible for allowing you to tattoo people when you reach your 3 month mark.

I checked their website as well and I didn't think any of the work was atrocious , I even thought some of it was pretty good ( not my style at all though) but the lines and colour seemed pretty clean , I don't agree with the tattooing after 3 months thing but hey you're your own person and you don't have to listen to anyone, good luck for the future

I believe it. I've seen this situation before, there are a few shops out here just like that. I've been trying really hard to not be an asshole in this thread. Luckily, shops like that usually end up closing within 3 years. People just get really hungry for the money or the recognition or the power that comes with tattooing, and they let their egos/greed/integrity get out of line.

I know of a shop in Hayward where one of the "artists" took on an apprentice after he had been tattooing for 3 years, and that apprentice was one of 3. Everything that comes out of that place is garbage. I know... nobody that loves tattooing wants to believe that this stuff actually happens, but it does. I guess that's why it's so direly important that sites like this one exist.

Kay, done with this thread, steppin off the soap box.

I believe it. I've seen this situation before, there are a few shops out here just like that. I've been trying really hard to not be an asshole in this thread. Luckily, shops like that usually end up closing within 3 years. People just get really hungry for the money or the recognition or the power that comes with tattooing, and they let their egos/greed/integrity get out of line.

I know of a shop in Hayward where one of the "artists" took on an apprentice after he had been tattooing for 3 years, and that apprentice was one of 3. Everything that comes out of that place is garbage. I know... nobody that loves tattooing wants to believe that this stuff actually happens, but it does. I guess that's why it's so direly important that sites like this one exist.

Kay, done with this thread, steppin off the soap box.

If this forum as a whole was facing certain annihilation from the barbarian horde and the only two options were to fight and surely die, or back down and live another day. I feel like you would be the dude whos like "Uh, guys, lets just let this one go". Meanwhile, every other member of the forum charges straight to instant death.

If this forum as a whole was facing certain annihilation from the barbarian horde and the only two options were to fight and surely die, or back down and live another day. I feel like you would be the dude whos like "Uh, guys, lets just let this one go". Meanwhile, every other member of the forum charges straight to instant death.

That's interesting, why?

edit:

Actually, no.. don't have to justify this. People come here to learn, I'm not a mod, and I don't feel the need to display any sense of importance by telling people off who don't know their dick from their toe when it comes to tattoos.

I've always seen us as the barbarian horde. Just saying.