Great Lakes Tattoo Co.

I plan on getting up to Chicago by the end of the year. I'm having trouble deciding on who to get tattooed by as well. Mario for sure, and I really want to get tattooed by Erik Gillespie but ity's going to be hard to go to Chicago and not get tattooed by Nick Colella again. He's so good (and so fast great for out of towners, he'll have ya in and out)

• 3 weeks later...

I plan on hitting them up this month when they have a parade of insane guests. Not that I DON'T want stuff from all the awesome dude's there, but since I'm local and work like 10 min. away I can wait and get some things down the road from each.

Cool shop though, if you don't you should follow their Instagram.

I went in yesterday since their "Fleet Week" is going on and got a rib tattoo from Ross Nagle visiting from Ireland. This shop is the most gorgeous tattoo shop I've been in. Such a nice design, huge without feeling vacant or cold, tons of amazing tattoo history covering the walls and cases. Seriously, stop in even if you're NOT getting anything done. It's worth looking it. Eye candy. Plus they played Iron Maiden live the whole session.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Definitely plan on it. I'm doing field research on jailhouse tattoos for the next eight months, but as soon as possible, I'll be there!

The scope and quality of the work offered is, as we used to say, a trip.

Good to hear from you Dan! Good luck with your 8 months of research.

Thanks all...I may get some work while I'm here, who knows?!

My posting is very limited, been here since last April, and this is the first I've been able to.

Federal Pre-Release/Halfway House, most of the residents are coming off multi-decade bits, so there is some real wild tattooing. I posted some elsewhere, and will try to get some more, but it's a fairly major violation to get caught with a camera, or taking pix.

A year, no big deal.

Sitting at great Lakes right now waiting for my half sleeve drawing from Nick. I had an appointment elsewhere today, and I showed up and the guy said he wasn't in the right frame of mind to tattoo. Called Great Lakes, Nick said no appointment so made the 2 hour drive. Hope this turns out well. Excited, nervous all in one. Hope there is an atm close by in case my cash is short.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

Sitting at great Lakes right now waiting for my half sleeve drawing from Nick. I had an appointment elsewhere today, and I showed up and the guy said he wasn't in the right frame of mind to tattoo. Called Great Lakes, Nick said no appointment so made the 2 hour drive. Hope this turns out well. Excited, nervous all in one. Hope there is an atm close by in case my cash is short.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2

You made the right move Pete.You may spend a little more money,and have to drive a little farther,but in the end you'll have a much better tattoo.