If you could pick one tattoo artist...

If you could only be tattooed by one tattoo artist for the rest of your life... who would it be? Explanation is required. Shop talk, personal conversations and general work done plays a huge role in every experience and hopefully we will get some good stories out of this. (I haven't posted on here in a while, so I hope this didn't get brought up somewhere else.)

It was a hard choice, but I know that if I could be tattooed by anyone else for the rest of my life... It would be Freddy.

1. I'm lazy and its a 1 mile walk to Temple

2. He is hilarious

3. I could hear him talk about India all day.

4. Jason, Derrick and Heath are awesome to talk to as well.

5. The shop is beautiful.

6. Every time I go in, I just want to get a million jesus tattoos.

Your turn.

Awesome question...my first thought was to pick one of the big names, like Shige, or Filip Leu...But I think I would genuinely have to go with the artist who I have the most work from, the person who taught me more about tattooing than anyone else I have ever met - Mark Armstrong, Sacred Art, Manchester. I have full sleeves and full chest done by him, and we just started a full Japanese backpiece (neck to knees). He is not a big internet name, but I couldn't give a monkeys, I count him as a great friend and a great artist, he knows a lot about the history of tattooing too. He used to work at Herbert Hoffmans, he apprenticed Tomas Tomas and Matt Black as well! I also worked for him for a couple of years. I have been to other artists, for smaller tattoos, but I always seem to come back to Mark for the really big stuff!

2zso1v8.jpg

Oh shit, now that's a tough question. I think I can only speak for artists that have already tattooed me, as personality is a huge factor when getting tattooed. I think I'd go with Sonju from Tattoo 13. I like that guy's brain. His ideas about inspiration, creativity, the birth of images, and laws of tattoo aesthetic are ON POINT. He's also an odd bird who don't give no fucks about no stupid social stature of any kind. Good dude to hang out with, very funny, and we share birthdays. Go team Sancho :)

Easy choice for me, Regino Gonzales. Just about all my tattoos are from him, and I plan on going to him until he retires or I run out of space, whichever comes first. His style is a 100% match for what I like, and he seriously puts down a killer tattoo whether its a more simple traditional tattoo (like my gypsy lady) or a huge super-fancy tattoo like my entire leg dragon/Raijin tattoo he is still working on. I've seen a ton of his work from just being in the shop, plus my friends get work by him, and I can say he nails every style amazingly. Another big contributing factor is Invisible NYC. I cannot say I've been in a better shop. Even from day one everyone was super cool. Every time I go there it feels more like visiting a friends house than going to get tattooed. I will say that a very close second would be Stewart Robson, for very much the same reasons, he is just too far away.

This is a tough one. But I'd have to go with Andrew Conner. He's immensely slept on but that keeps him incredibly accessible. He's a great friend, artist, and intellectual and he never ceases to amaze me with his creativity. Plus he has a soft hand and that rules when you're getting tattooed for hours.

Close second would be Matt Brotka.

I dream about being tattooed by Shige, Horitomo, any of the Horitoshi family, Wendy Pham and a whole slew of other artists. But I am very happy with the tattoo artist who started me on my journey, Henning Jorgensen. He's introduced me to a world of great artists who are as genuine and humble as he is. He's given me beautiful artwork that I'll treasure for a lifetime and just an awesome guy to chat with about life in general. Henning loves tattooing and that's something that I admire about him, his passion for his work. Mike Rubendall is the same way, hence why he and Henning are such good friends. Same minds gravitate to one another. I'm lucky to have work from both and will continue that trend.

This is tricky. I love all of the work I've gotten by the various artists, but I'm not sure I would stick with only one per se...

If I had to choose I would have to say Grez, only because he is so versatile, clean, and a good dude. And I would hate to go anywhere but Kings Ave if I had to choose.

A close second would be Seth Wood, but since I haven't gotten any work by him yet I would be hesitant in making that commitment.

And like @CultExciter said, so glad I don't have to choose one! That would take the joy out of collecting tattoos for me, to be perfectly honest!

This is tricky. I love all of the work I've gotten by the various artists, but I'm not sure I would stick with only one per se...

If I had to choose I would have to say Grez, only because he is so versatile, clean, and a good dude. And I would hate to go anywhere but Kings Ave if I had to choose.

A close second would be Seth Wood, but since I haven't gotten any work by him yet I would be hesitant in making that commitment.

And like @CultExciter said, so glad I don't have to choose one! That would take the joy out of collecting tattoos for me, to be perfectly honest!

It's funny because I was thinking of the people I've been tattooed by that it might be Seth Wood who I would get all my work from. His tattoos are great, I love how he's doing more and more large scale work and that it is completely fucking awesome, and I really like him as a person. He's funny, easy to get along with, incredibly smart, and he always adds a little bit extra to his tattoos that really set them apart. The tattoo I have from him is only a couple of years old but it's solid as fuck. I'm glad that I don't have to choose only one though.

It's funny because I was thinking of the people I've been tattooed by that it might be Seth Wood who I would get all my work from. His tattoos are great, I love how he's doing more and more large scale work and that it is completely fucking awesome, and I really like him as a person. He's funny, easy to get along with, incredibly smart, and he always adds a little bit extra to his tattoos that really set them apart. The tattoo I have from him is only a couple of years old but it's solid as fuck. I'm glad that I don't have to choose only one though.

That's awesome. I've been admiring his posts in IG. He's definitely next on my list!

I would say Chris Garver! The reason is I like japanese style tattoos but also other styles as well. There are very few artist that can do many styles at the level he does. Well rounded is an understatement!! Being that he was on t.v and all many people may say some negative things but you cannot dispute how awesome of an artist he is not just as a tattooer. He's very personable and friendly! Also I found him to be super humble about his success.

If I were to stick to just one, it would only be if I were doing a full Japanese bodysuit. That being said, it would be a very difficult choice between Stewart Robson, Mike Rubendall, and Horitomo... I'll say Stewart, though. Once my front is finished and my back is at least outlined, I plan on having Stewart and Mike each do a leg from thigh to knee, so I hope to have at least have a good chunk of tattooing from each of them.

If it was just on who's work you like the best at this time,I would also say Seth Wood.I love his style.And I love Regino Gonzales Japanese work,& b&g work.I wish I could start over with a blank canvas,I would like to get a bodysuit from these two guys.

In my case at little rearranging not complete blank canvas! Regino is crazy good at huge japanese tattoos! Maybe if i ever do a back piece i'll have him do it!

Well seeing how I've only been tattooed by one person so far, and I'm about 40-50% there, should I continue to get more, I might as well go all in. Jill Bonny. She's not as flashy as some but that's what I like about her work. It's solid and detailed just enough without going overboard with excess. It retains a bold look and has a style that I feel relates to the flatness of the old prints. I really like that about her work. And she's cool too.

Also once upon a time when you get briefly introduced to Tim Hendricks and he sees your tattoos (and finds out it's all been done by Jill), then tells you, " You're a tattoo artist's dream client.", well you should probably listen to those words and follow through.

If I cloned myself or had a twin. Horitomo.