1st Tat

Nagua

With 15 days of healing, you will be able to put sunscreen on it. You will be able to go into a pool or the ocean, and if it gets wet it won't hurt it (much), but don't soak it. So splashing around in with kids will be ok, or kind of just hanging out in a pool or whatever but actually swimming is not a good idea. The sunscreen should be considered protection while you are in the pool/ocean - and that time should be limited.

You should have it covered the rest of the time.

I'm basing the above opinion on my own experience. For my '1st Tat' I got it 16 days before going to Vegas. I put sunscreen on it and went in the pool, but kept my shoulder out of the water as much as possible, and stayed in the shade as much as I could too. My tattoo suffered no obvious ill effects.

Thank you Shaun, that was pretty much my plan was to swim ocean and pool and then sit underneath a umbrella on the beach sippin drinks. Again thank you for your sincere post.
People are honestly just trying to help you out. You might find some responses perhaps a little snarky, but I would hope you can see it from their side. People on this site are passionate about their work, trying to make sure that people are educated enough to take care of their current and future art. If you ask a question and then dismiss the response, that seems disrespectful, not only to them but to the art itself. Go to reddit if you just want to ignore people.

Tattoing isn't just a fad to them, some shiny object to be picked up one second only to be discarded and forgotten the next. If you are willing to put something on your body, it shouldn't be for you either. You may have yolo'd your way into this tattoo, but respect it enough to take care of it so that it doesn't look like crud down the road.

Best of luck, have fun playing blackjack.

Yes they are and I am reading and soaking up the info. and I want to say thanks to all. But just because I cannot do what they suggest is no reason to get snarky or snappy or whatever ya want to call it. I am giving members respect but at the same time I expect the same from them. I am sure that is how the MODS would like it also. Thank you Pleadco.
People have given their answers to your question, and it seems you are ignoring them. This really is fine but I don't understand the point of asking the question. Most posters at LST genuinely try to give the best advice. In the end it is your body and your tattoo, so if you'd like to risk it, that is fine.

As far as live and let live, then come back in for a touch, you might hit some friction there. I know anyone who has tattooed me has no problem doing free touchups IF you follow their directions for aftercare.. If you disregard their professional opinion, I'm sure they will touch it up, but at a price.

As far as my one personal experience with this, I can say. I've modified the last 3 summers to no pools, direct sun, oceans, beachers, etc because I invested some serious cash, time, pain and my artist's time into my tattoos, and until I'm done healing them all, I will keep doing that. Yea it can suck but I also don't want a wrecked tattoo.

Shaun gave me a excellent answer and that is the route I am going to take. This is why I asked the question. We live and learn. If I had looked into this before I probably would not have gotten this tattoo due to me traveling to the Dominican Republic every 3-4 weeks. I would have done it in 2014. I am looking at getting another at the moment cannot find the right design. Thanks Slayer

If we're being honest here, even when that tattoo heals up, without the water, the little crest or whatever it is wont hold up. It's too small. You can barely tell what it is now. I'd go bigger on your next tattoo. Good luck.
Yea we talked about this before doing it that the size of tattoo that I wanted that detail would be very difficult to duplicate. I asked him to do his best and he did a great job I believe. When I get back from Punta Cana it should be at end of its healing and I will see just how bad or good it will be. Thanks for the honesty.

Waterproof dressing? Like what? Waterproof tape. now that sounds like a good idea. Duct tape?

No, I wouldn't use duct tape. There are a lot of waterproof tapes out there specifically for wound care. But it sounds like you have it figured out now anyway. Good Luck

No, I wouldn't use duct tape. There are a lot of waterproof tapes out there specifically for wound care. But it sounds like you have it figured out now anyway. Good Luck
The duct tape will work and will hold. But let me say it would never touch the actual tattoo. It would just hold whatever dressing I could come up with. Thanks

The only thing I can think of is Tegaderm. It is made by 3M and could provide with the waterproof barrier, but also adds another risk of breeding infection inside of the bandage. We all know that tattoos are just giant open wounds which need to breathe. When you trap bacteria in with water proof/air tight bandages you are susceptible to all sorts of infections.

You know whats worse than a shitty tattoo? Staph infection from a pool full of dirty kids and nasty adults in an under developed country.

But I'm not a medic or anything.

To be fair I really don't think he meant put duct tape right on the tattoo. More like using duct tape to secure a waterproof covering over top of it. Like one might do with a plaster cast while showering, for example.
Exactly. I will cut with scissors thin strips of the duct tape to hold covering on it. Wife will be getting hers the last day we are in Punta Cana so swimming will be limited.

• 2 weeks later...

I hold off on the sunscreen for at least a month after getting a new tattoo. Is that overkill? Probably.

Has anyone here heard of "spf" or "upf" shirts? You can google "spf shirt" and find more than a few companies selling them. I have a few and I think it's a good option. They even make rash guard shirts for the beach with spf protection. These are typically pretty breathable and would solve SOME of your beach / new tattoo related problems.

I say some, because they aren't waterproof, and I would not go swimming with a barely 2 week old tattoo. But you could wear it while on the beach and remain protected without having to put on sunblock.

I believe that target sells some sort of branded spf clothing, if you can't wait out the delivery time before you leave.

DO NOT TRY TO FIND THESE SHIRTS IN THE DOMINICAN> I"VE ALREADY TRIED. No store had them, and they all looked at me funny when i asked.

rob

silly me, i see nagua has been banned. Oh well, perhaps others will find some use out of my post.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here heard of "spf" or "upf" shirts? You can google "spf shirt" and find more than a few companies selling them. I have a few and I think it's a good option. They even make rash guard shirts for the beach with spf protection. These are typically pretty breathable and would solve SOME of your beach / new tattoo related problems.

silly me, i see nagua has been banned. Oh well, perhaps others will find some use out of my post.

We see these shirts all the time and our kids have them as well. You can get rash guard type ones (swimsuit-like material) or ones like regular shirts...

I learned a lot from this thread. All the discussion helps...but I'm curious-why would the OP get banned over this? :confused:

All the discussion helps...but I'm curious-why would the OP get banned over this? :confused:

I don't speak for the mods but I believe it was for inflammatory and disrespectful behavior. We all have our quirks, but when someone shows a habit of inciting argument and not listening to advice, that will put them on the fast track to bansville.

I don't speak for the mods but I believe it was for inflammatory and disrespectful behavior. We all have our quirks, but when someone shows a habit of inciting argument and not listening to advice, that will put them on the fast track to bansville.

I see. I had a peek at the OP's posts and then went on to read one of the threads. I am totally disappointed. The guy didn't come across as an arse to me, and not an "expert" and then some of the responses...(The not liking you so much thing). I was pretty excited to learn from the folks here because I'm *not* knowledgeable about all the deets on tattooing. I see things I like;I see things I don't like. Thought this place was a helpful group of folk that can help me ensure that my or someone else's future tattoos aren't poor quality but it cautions me not to ask any stupid questions or make sure that I suck ass first so I have backup in case someone wants to tear me down here too. Damn. Sometimes I wonder if people are cold and insensitive so much in person as they are on the internet. But, I guess that's probably just me:cool:

You certainly have a right to that perspective, and one might keep in mind that there is more than one thread where he was exhibiting poor behavior.

I would not say that every response to him was kind, but in any situation, if you are the new guy it's usually wise to keep your head down and be respectful. Especially if you aren't educated on a subject. Questions are encouraged, but so is listening, which was his problem.

Regardless, this is a pretty dead horse topic, and you are more than welcome to interpret it as you will. This a great community with some genuinely awesome people, but in any forum it is important to have a thicker skin.

Have a great day!

Very well versed Pleadco :) For the most part, I don't take offence nor am I the overly sensitive type but I do believe respect needs to be given both ways regardless if folk do what we want them to do or what advice is given...no need to leave folks feeling worse off then they came. Although I ran a few groups where I had to mod /admin a lot and I'm biased haha.

On the sunscreen note...so, nothing for how long after then you do want to apply it anytime you are outside? Yes, it might be a dumb question but I don't know the answer to it, haha!