Dope Antelope

Dope Antelope

What's up? I have always had a passion for tattoos. I got my first and only tattoo about 2-3 years ago now. Which is just my mothers signature on my wrist. I am booked in for a full sleeve in two months time which i have thought about for about a year now and cannnnnnnnot wait!! I just love looking at tattoos, I have so much appreciation for the art. And cant wait to browse this forum and look at all the talent and ideas with hopefully some good banter along the way!!

From Southampton, UK.

I am having a Buddha at the top and a temple on my forearm with flowers and a few other buddhist symbols like the wheel of dharma as a necklace around buddha's neck. and some words inscribed on the temple in sanskrit. have thought about it for ages now and just so excited i have my idea all put together and im having it very bright colour. oranges, reds, and yellows. so a very warm colour scheme. with dark shading (but not too dark) to make it really stand out.

any thoughts are welcome :)

I am having a Buddha at the top and a temple on my forearm with flowers and a few other buddhist symbols like the wheel of dharma as a necklace around buddha's neck. and some words inscribed on the temple in sanskrit. have thought about it for ages now and just so excited i have my idea all put together and im having it very bright colour. oranges, reds, and yellows. so a very warm colour scheme. with dark shading (but not too dark) to make it really stand out.

any thoughts are welcome :)

Hm, have you thought about going with an artist who specializes in Japanese tattooing? Just being that the imagery you're looking for has strong roots in Japan, my initial thought is that it would probably look best rendered with a distinctively Japanese aesthetic, as opposed to a painterly realistic style. If you have 40 minutes, I recommend watching this: Marcus Kuhn's - The Gypsy Gentlemen - Home

I think it will illustrate what I mean better than I could explain it.

Go Japanese.

It'll be worth it. The image will hold up longer. Realism looks nice for a while, but it doesn't last, and you'll have that arm for the rest of your life. But, the realism artist you did pick was very skilled at doing realism, very pretty.

Go Japanese.

It'll be worth it. The image will hold up longer. Realism looks nice for a while, but it doesn't last, and you'll have that arm for the rest of your life. But, the realism artist you did pick was very skilled at doing realism, very pretty.

do you mind explaining why it wouldn't last please? :)

i have taken your advice on board and have been looking at japanese artists in my area and none seem to be up to the standard that i would like. i mean obviously i wouldn't mind travelling as this is on me for life and so will be happy pay a lot and travel to have it done, if its a drive away. but does anyone know anyone to recommend thats in the southern uk?

i have taken your advice on board and have been looking at japanese artists in my area and none seem to be up to the standard that i would like. i mean obviously i wouldn't mind travelling as this is on me for life and so will be happy pay a lot and travel to have it done, if its a drive away. but does anyone know anyone to recommend thats in the southern uk?

I've never been to the UK, but when I hear "Japanese" and "UK" only one name comes to mind, Stewart Robson @ Frith St.

A tattoo will age poorly if it doesn't have enough black in it. I think that another problem with realism is that you're going to lose a lot of the finer detail over time. I think as long as the tattoo has things outlined and adequate black in it, and that the different elements in the sleeve have strong silhouettes you'll be fine. I think you can totally do Japanese-themed stuff in a non-Japanese way and have it look super cool...I'm thinking in particular of Canadian tattooers who tattoo sort of Japanese-inspired new school stuff like Steve Moore, James Tex, Rob Noseworthy. Anyway, those are some good looking tattoos Ian Ink does, please let us know how it goes.