Brainstorming Ideas

BrookR70

I'm searching for some inspiration for a design that will be placed between my shoulder blades. The tattoo will be flanked by the two I already have and I have about 6 inches of horizontal space to play with.

Some of the themes I'm thinking about: road trips, home (North San Diego County, California), moving from place to place (I've moved 13 times in the last 20 years), isolation.

Some of the images I've thought about are: a lighthouse of the beach I used to frequent as a kid (although I think lighthouses have been overdone); a desert scene with a lonely road and mountains in the background that would extend past my current tattoos; two smaller flash tattoos to make my shoulder look like a trad american sleeve with small "filling" tattoos; a buoy getting tossed around around in waves that would extend across my shoulders; and island with a palm tree (too cliche?). Maybe a U-Haul truck?

The other image I attached because I like it, as well.

Thanks for any and all ideas.

You don't need to only put tattoos on your back.

Lighthouses haven't been overdone, if you like them, get them.

An island with a palm tree isn't too cliche.

Those are common tattoos for a reason, because they are good tattoos.

I find that when you try to make everything too unique, too meaningful, you lose some of the artistry.

You don't need us to make your decisions, but I implore you to think wisely.

You have two nice tattoos, there is no need to rush into the next one. Think think think. Good luck

By all means, if you want to add to your back, go ahead. If you really want a cool tattoo, I emplore you to explore the idea of getting something as a standalone piece somewhere else or going larger with the things on your back. You live in Boise right? I am sure there are some good tattooers out there that you could set up consultations with. Find someone who's work you like and talk to them. A competent tattooer will be able to help steer you in the direction that will get you a rad tattoo. Good luck and keep us posted.

Trust me, left to my own devices, i would have a few more in other places, but the wife hates them. So this is a compromise. The bug has bitten me hard. I love getting tattooed...even when it starts to get painful, I love it.

But, I'm in no rush to get this one done. I'm just looking for ideas and inspiration.

Thanks for the replies.

U haul truck with palm tree or lighthouse on the side of it!

Or maybe some flying dollar bills; that's all I see when the idea of moving comes up.

How about dollar bills flying past sweaty men hauling a fridge up three flights of stairs? Fuck a moving tattoo, that shit sucks.

(Not trying to discourage your ideas @BrookR70 but I moved about a month ago and I hate moving)

Trust me, left to my own devices, i would have a few more in other places, but the wife hates them. So this is a compromise.

Did you start getting tattooed before you got married? Not trying to point the finger at your relationship but my other half would never discourage me from doing something I loved despite his opinions. (He has no tattoos and no plans to get any).

How about dollar bills flying past sweaty men hauling a fridge up three flights of stairs? Fuck a moving tattoo, that shit sucks.

(Not trying to discourage your ideas @BrookR70 but I moved about a month ago and I hate moving)

Yeah gotta agree moving really blows; even in- town moves. And yet im about to do another move about 2/3rds of the way across the country.

Ugh.

Before I met my wife, I had a single dolphin tattoo on my hip that I got while I was in the Navy. We've known each other for about 7 years. She's just the girl next door type and doesn't like tattoos. She didn't speak to me for 3 days after I got my last one, which was actually a nice break.

Did you start getting tattooed before you got married? Not trying to point the finger at your relationship but my other half would never discourage me from doing something I loved despite his opinions. (He has no tattoos and no plans to get any).

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah...so maybe a U-Haul truck parked on an island dumping a bunch of crap (refrigerator, sofa, bird cages) next to a palm tree. I love it!

Before I met my wife, I had a single dolphin tattoo on my hip that I got while I was in the Navy. We've known each other for about 7 years. She's just the girl next door type and doesn't like tattoos. She didn't speak to me for 3 days after I got my last one, which was actually a nice break.

tick . . . tick . . . tick . . .