Japanese Style Artists in CT

maxx1221

Hey all, This is my first post here. I think this is the appropriate spot. I'm looking to start a quarter sleeve! I want to get japanese style waves with a kraken wrecking a Japanese junk ship.I'm hoping for it to start on my chest and reach up and around my shoulder. I live in CT and am looking for an artist to do this, right now I'm looking into Julio Rodriguez at hope gallery.... heres a link to some of his work.

Hope Gallery Tattoo : Julio Rodriguez : Tattoos : Page 3

What do you guys think of his work? also any other artist suggestions?

-Thanks in advance

Maxx

Where abouts in CT are you, I'm there too. Although there are some pretty good artists in our small state, you're really not going to find many who do good Japanese style tattoos. Before I read your entire post and just saw the title of the thread my first thought was Julio at Hope. He is very good and very versatile and would do a great job I feel. I've had work done by Tim Harris at Hope, they're all really good artists surrounding Joe Capo. I'm not positive, but Julio may only open his appointment book a few times a year so getting a spot might not be easy but in CT he's your best bet. You could always go to NY if you want where there are many options.

Thanks for diving in and welcome to the forum Max. I was hoping Wedge would jump in as I knew he lived out that way so thanks Wedge.

One of the nice things about where you are located is that in the nearby states there are many above par tattooers that others from around the world travel to get tattooed by and you wouldn't have to go as far! Are you willing to travel for a tattooer or travel for a tattoo shop? With that being said, I am not a tattooer but a collector so take my advice as that please and I hope some of the East Coast tattooers will jump in as they are the master minds who can truly help you with good East Coast Japanese style tattooers. Did you look around LST Preferred Tattoo Shops and Tattooers list? There are some on there near you and if you follow their links to other pages you will find yourself in a maze of awesomeness for tattoos. I know I often find myself in this area and their links looking at the tattoos they are turning out.

As you said you are new to LST so I thought I would point out some threads on tattoo shops and tattooers for you to take a look around and maybe get some ideas from if you have not seen them yet:

Choosing a tattoo shop

Choosing a tattooer

Yelp and Tattoo Shops

Travel and shop choosing

How far are you willing to travel for a shop?

Chap Koeplinger's Blog on What Shops? This blog has a wealth of knowledge for potential shops and tattooers.

I know I put a lot out there with no specifics but want you to be able to see the riches you have nearby if you do your tattoo research. The last one I want to put out there is the upcoming Philly Tattoo Convention where you will have the opportunity to have some of the best of the best close by to get tattooed from.

Hope this helps????

Wedge, I'm in southern CT, about 50 minutes east of New Haven. Maybe I will shoot Hope/Julio an email asking if he would even be interested in taking on the work.

Lochlan I'm definitely willing to travel, hopefully not too far though. I'm still a college student, so something like a convention is possible, but would REALLY strain my budget. I actually had my first work done up in VT when I was visiting a girl I know. It was my first piece, I sat for about 4.5 hours, and ended up costing $700 all said and done. Lets just say my lifestyle wasn't so comfortable for a while after that haha. So I am willing to travel, and wait to save up for the proper artist.

-Maxx

Check out TC @ Flying Tiger Tattoo I think his style is more traditional japanese,while Julio has his own style of doing japanese work.

Larry Davis@ vanguard tattoo does real nice asian style work in Nyack,NY.I would make a consultation with some of these artists,and see which one you click with best.Sometimes i may like a tattooers work,but don't feel comfortable with them,so i won't be tattooed by them.

Thanks bigjoe! T.C. looks like he does some nice work, as well as Murray... Is it a bad idea to contact the artists to ask if they would be interested? This is only my second tattoo, so I'm not quite sure about the etiquette... I think that maybe Julio's own spin on things would be cool for this because it's not completely traditional with the Kraken and all.

-Maxx

I'm a little familiar with Flying Tiger, it's located in New Britain which is about 15 minutes west of Hartford and close to me. That's where Murray Sell is and I thought primarily the artists there did more western traditional work but T.C. may be different. You can also try Greenman Studio (Jon) in W. Hartford or keep an eye on Off the Map tattoo near Springfield, MA. They always have an amazing list of guest artists, someone there may be right also but I'm not sure they have any trad. Japanese artists coming soon. Here's a few links, hope it helps.

Flying Tiger Tattoo

Green Man Tattoo Studio

Off the Map Tattoo : - Massachusetts Tattoo Studio

...And it's perfectly fine to ask the artists if they're interested in the project but obviously don't just choose based on who's interested. Bigjoe was correct about seeing who you click with and who may seem more interested than another.

Thanks for all the info, I am going to start contacting artists to see if they would be interested... I think I'm most interested in Jon and Julio right now. Will the description I put in my first post suffice, Or should more detail be included? I will keep you guys updated!

Thanks bigjoe! T.C. looks like he does some nice work, as well as Murray... Is it a bad idea to contact the artists to ask if they would be interested? This is only my second tattoo, so I'm not quite sure about the etiquette... I think that maybe Julio's own spin on things would be cool for this because it's not completely traditional with the Kraken and all.

-Maxx

I wouldn't ask if their interested.Just go to the shop for a consultation,and get a feel if their interested,and to see how you vibe with them.You can bring some reference material if you have that too.I would also ask about how much it would cost.And how many sittings it would be to finish.Murray is also a good choice too.I would meet with a few artists even if i liked one artists style better than the other's.You may just hit it off with the tattooer who's style you didn't like as much.Although some people i talk with don't care about if they click with an artist..Some girl told me she puts her headphones on and just listens to music,and doesn't say a word to her artist.

Thanks for all the info, I am going to start contacting artists to see if they would be interested... I think I'm most interested in Jon and Julio right now. Will the description I put in my first post suffice, Or should more detail be included? I will keep you guys updated!

I think just taking your tattoo design idea and maybe some reference would be sufficient. You also want to allow the tattooer enough room for creative autonomy to add their style to it.

• 4 weeks later...