Your overall look as a tattooed person

keepcalm

Haha and I will be in the mirror, admiring how well my AWESOME tattoos have aged!

Non sequitur and belongs in a diff thread, but: I have not been good about uploading pics of (aforementioned AWESOME) tattoos, mostly bc they are instagram or iPhone pics that don't necessarily do them justice. Does anyone have any suggestions? I wanna show off! (While I'm young and hot, as opposed to old and hot. Just bringin' it back around, here ;))

Have a friend who happens to take pictures for a living and when you are staying with him when you're visiting his city for a wedding/tattoo appointments, have him suggest taking pictures of your tattoos and then have him set up an entire photo setup with backdrop and lighting in his living room on a Sunday morning and get good ones that way? Because that's what I did, though I haven't posted them up here because I feel kind of self-conscious about posting those kind of pictures on here. I did instagram some of them though.

Have a friend who happens to take pictures for a living and when you are staying with him when you're visiting his city for a wedding/tattoo appointments, have him suggest taking pictures of your tattoos and then have him set up an entire photo setup with backdrop and lighting in his living room on a Sunday morning and get good ones that way? Because that's what I did, though I haven't posted them up here because I feel kind of self-conscious about posting those kind of pictures on here. I did instagram some of them though.

I've been meaning to tell you that your shirtless glamour shots reminded me of this guy: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/initiation/3512-newbie.html

but with significantly better tattoos of course.

I'm no into having sleeves so even though i have coverage on most of my arms i'll leave space between. I don't plan I generally get an idea that becomes an obsession , and then it gets done.

I want to know though - full back piece versus lots of different work from various artists on your back , what do you think ?

I'm no into having sleeves so even though i have coverage on most of my arms i'll leave space between. I don't plan I generally get an idea that becomes an obsession ' date=' and then it gets done.

I want to know though - full back piece versus lots of different work from various artists on your back , what do you think ?[/quote']

For me, I'd go with one large backpiece from one tattooer that goes from top of the neck past the ass cheeks. My lady, on the other hand, has a smaller backpiece towards the top of her back, just a two session tattoo.

i started out sticking really random things up my arm and leg as a teen but now i have a better understanding and passion for aesthetics based on what ive learned from observing better and better artists over the last few years, listening to what they say and how they steer clients towards the best position. recently i was told of a book by Herbert Hoffman called, Living Picture Books. im sure many of you have heard of it. i havent been able to find a copy for less than £500 but it it full of pictures hoffman took of tattoo'd people in Germany through the first half of the 20th century, the reason im blabbing on about this book is because many of the older guys in that book, look pretty much how i would like to look when im older, i like to picture myself as an old guy with very dark but solid tattoo's head to toe like Wilhelm Wedekemper, visually striking and just bad-ass.

I'm no into having sleeves so even though i have coverage on most of my arms i'll leave space between. I don't plan I generally get an idea that becomes an obsession , and then it gets done.

I want to know though - full back piece versus lots of different work from various artists on your back , what do you think ?

I would absolutely, 100 times out of 100, go for one coherent backpiece. Arms and legs look great (to me) with small pieces all over, and also look great with one well thought out, flowing sleeve. When it comes to the back though, it just looks so wrong (to me) with small pieces here and there, or even filled up with different pieces. I guess it's because it becomes very cluttered and unreadable, the back is a canvas that you can use for one big striking image, it seems like a waste not to use it for its full potential!

I'm someone that regularly spends time in hospital for an illness, and due to this i have numerous spots on my body i can't actually get tattooed, my entire left arm is unable to be touched by a tattoo machine, and my stomach region has undergone a lot of surgery and more to come, so any tattoos that could hypothetically go there, would just be ripped open. So i don't really have much "Balance" as such at all with my tattoos, but i'm not really too concerned, i'm someone that wears full sleeves most of the time anyway. I do however reserve spots for ideas that i know i definitely want in particular locations and wait a while until i can finally get that spot filled in.

So only women's bodies decline after the age of 35ish? Hmmm. Guess I should stop getting tattooed, worry about what my body looks like, and leave it to the men to get all the sweet tats.

Sorry, had to go there.

And please tell me when did I ever say that only women's bodies decline?

That goes for all skin and genders. My muscular tattooed arms at 22 probably won't look so sexy in 20 years. That's simply an objective fact that the human body deteriorates with age. It has nothing to do with men vs women if you're a human your body will age. My statement was a blanket one though I did comment on the fact that I love how ink looks on women's bodies. Funny how I had a couple people get a bit snappy with me when I made a comment about how much I love ink on women.

I mean why in the world would I say that I love all ink on women and then suggest that women shouldn't get tattooed? Does that even make sense? I feel like a comment like that comes from personal insecurity to be honest. I wasn't even suggesting anything close to what you perceived. I apologize if my post was unclear but I think a couple people got something from my post that wasn't implicit nor intended.

Genie of the West's comment makes me want to post a picture of what an over 35 year old tattooed woman looks like, complete with a huge back piece done in their mid 20's. Sigh. It's not as epic-ly crumbly as he might think.

When did I ever say it would be epic-ly crumbly? I simply said that the body would probably not be as shapely and attractive at an older age. My exact words. Sex appeal definitely adds to the overall look/effect of a tattoo. A great tattoo is great of course, but a great tattoo on a fit young body that flows with the muscles and curves of the body is always more impressive. Not sure why people are getting offended over the fact that I said the body tends to deteriorate in shape and attractiveness with age.

And please tell me when did I ever say that only women's bodies decline?

That goes for all skin and genders. My muscular tattooed arms at 22 probably won't look so sexy in 20 years. That's simply an objective fact that the human body deteriorates with age. It has nothing to do with men vs women if you're a human your body will age. My statement was a blanket one though I did comment on the fact that I love how ink looks on women's bodies. Funny how I had a couple people get a bit snappy with me when I made a comment about how much I love ink on women.

I mean why in the world would I say that I love all ink on women and then suggest that women shouldn't get tattooed? Does that even make sense? I feel like a comment like that comes from personal insecurity to be honest. I wasn't even suggesting anything close to what you perceived. I apologize if my post was unclear but I think a couple people got something from my post that wasn't implicit nor intended.

Well why did you bring up women's bodies declining if you didn't think it made an impact on the choices women should make for their tattoos?

I don't worry about what my tattoos will look like as I age. But I got that impression from you.

You have to understand that you are a MAN talking about how and where a WOMAN should get tattooed. It's fine if you think tattoos are "sexy" on a woman, but end the discussion there, please. It's the same as when men blame a woman for not appreciating a cat-call. There's a point in the conversation where your opinion crosses the line.

Maybe you didn't mean anything by your comment, I understand. My point is that this is a forum (watch how you articulate yourself, as meaning is hard to convey through text), tattoos are personal regardless of their meaning, and most (if not all) of the women on this forum have dealt with a lot of hardships as a result of deciding to get tattooed, so don't blame us if we don't take a compliment the way you wanted us to.

Well why did you bring up women's bodies declining if you didn't think it made an impact on the choices women should make for their tattoos?

I don't worry about what my tattoos will look like as I age. But I got that impression from you.

You have to understand that you are a MAN talking about how and where a WOMAN should get tattooed. It's fine if you think tattoos are "sexy" on a woman, but end the discussion there, please. It's the same as when men blame a woman for not appreciating a cat-call. There's a point in the conversation where your opinion crosses the line.

Maybe you didn't mean anything by your comment, I understand. My point is that this is a forum (watch how you articulate yourself, as meaning is hard to convey through text), tattoos are personal regardless of their meaning, and most (if not all) of the women on this forum have dealt with a lot of hardships as a result of deciding to get tattooed, so don't blame us if we don't take a compliment the way you wanted us to.

Fair enough.

My sincere and humble apologies ladies!

Right now, as a professional, my tattoos are in places that can be covered by shorts and a tank top. I consider myself fashion-forward, and tattoos are a great way to cover scars and flaws that I can't correct through exercise or other body modifications, and it's a great enhancer and conversation piece.

I'm slowly branching out into more tattoos to where if I went out in casual fun clothes instead of business attire, maybe you'd spot one. ;) But overall, I like to keep it classy, highbrow, and visually interesting.