Your overall look as a tattooed person

keepcalm

This is something I struggle with and has really slowed down my tattoo progress. I think being female makes a huge difference as far as "pickiness." There's a lot of stuff I love, but I'm worried it would be too masculine on me. I'm sure once I get a couple larger pieces, I'll get over it and it won't make any difference; I'd love to be at least moderately tattooed. But it's just hard to make that jump right now because people are so much more judgmental against women with tattoos. I would love to be able to just get what I want where I want it, but I've heard so many condescending opinions of tattooed women that I think deep down, I have this fear that tattoos will make me unattractive to other people or even to myself.

I understand where you're coming from, but you've got to do things (like get tattooed) for yourself and not for other people, or worry about your decision's affect on other people. I used to care about what others thought about me, everyone does, but then I decided to do what felt right to me and now I love myself SO much more with tattoos than without.

I would love to be able to just get what I want where I want it,

When you get to that point when you realize you can, it's liberating.

Think about it this way--do you respect shallow people who judge others based on something that is skin deep rather than what type of person they are? Do you want to make decisions based on what people like that think?

I'd say if you're worried something is too masculine for you, then it's not the right tattoo for *you*. If it's right for *you*, it shouldn't matter if it's...I don't know, what's masculine, a big ole monster truck? If that's what you like, then that's what you get. and if someone says they don't like it, then you say "Yes, well, maybe it's not your taste, and that's fine. I happen to think you're a fucking knob, however I have too much tact to say it." And then you punch them in the throat.

Logically, I know you guys are right. It's more of a psychological hurdle at this point. I've been told my whole life by my family, boyfriends, and most of my friends that tattoos are for guys and women with tattoos are ugly. I've been lucky enough to be accepted by those around me for what I have so far, but I think deep down, I have this irrational fear that I'm going to make myself ugly by getting more. And not ugly to other people, but that I'll have this sudden realization of "oh man, these people were right all along, what have I done" and I'll have ruined myself. I know that makes no sense, and I feel so much better about myself than I did before I was tattooed, but it's something I struggle with because it's been drilled into my head so much. I'm starting to see now that it's very possible to make a "masculine" subject have a more "feminine" execution, so I don't have to worry so much about looking like a big burly biker.

I've actually been planning a new design for the distant future (want to finish up some more work first) that kind of represents this, and hopefully will help me usher in some bigger, tougher pieces without fear. :p

@Synesthesia

As a woman who just got a traditional tiger tattoo, which I guess is more on the masculine end of the spectrum, I understand your trepidation. We are who we are: Masculine, feminine, androgynous. Tattoos don't change the execution of your gender, or more importantly, YOU.

Keep in mind that subject matter is all about artistic liberty and has a great impact on how masculine or feminine it looks. (I kind of think my tiger looks like a big old queen, but that's cool. I like him.)

Your family is right. Your body will ruin. It will age, eat itself, cells will stop degenerating, and your skin isn't going to look like you're 23 forever. Guess what? Happens to the people without tattoos, too. Don't base opinions about your body on what others think, because you're going to have a lot of people in your life who care about you for you, not for the ink or lack of.

I think I might terrify people if I showed up in public wearing a fundoshi

I would srsly go the other way....

- - - Updated - - -

This is something I struggle with and has really slowed down my tattoo progress. I think being female makes a huge difference as far as "pickiness." There's a lot of stuff I love, but I'm worried it would be too masculine on me. I'm sure once I get a couple larger pieces, I'll get over it and it won't make any difference; I'd love to be at least moderately tattooed. But it's just hard to make that jump right now because people are so much more judgmental against women with tattoos. I would love to be able to just get what I want where I want it, but I've heard so many condescending opinions of tattooed women that I think deep down, I have this fear that tattoos will make me unattractive to other people or even to myself.

A good artist can add elements to a tattoo to make them less masculine if that's what you want. I still say go with what you like, screw everyone else. With my first tattoos I had the same concern that I'd hate them and myself over the years. I've always given them much thought and went to god shops, having large pieces done is part of me making the best decision.

Rob

I would love to be able to just get what I want where I want it, but I've heard so many condescending opinions of tattooed women that I think deep down, I have this fear that tattoos will make me unattractive to other people or even to myself.

When you get to the point where you don't rely on other people for your self esteem, it's a very liberating feeling. It took me more years than I'd care to admit.

When I was growing up, tattoos were always something bikers had. I dated a guy who didn't like them, and when I got my third tattoo, he was not thrilled, and joked about calling me "biker bitch"...that third tattoo happened to be Tigger holding three daisies. That's really what all the Biker Bitches are getting, right?? Then I dated another guy who tried to force me to not get my 4th, a tree frog. I told him I wasn't living my life according to his sense of beauty. Now I'm married to a guy who digs the shit out of tattoos and encourages me to get more...and some of what I want are things he doesn't like and guess what? I don't care. I want him to find me attractive, obviously, but at the end of the day, if I think it's pretty, and I want it on me, I'ma git it.

I like looking at tattoos on women. I probably look like some weird stalker or something, but I find them very feminine, and I like to admire, say, the curve of a shoulder that is tattooed. It's beautiful.

Went on a date and realized my heart is with someone else. \\It's a good thing. He treats me like a queen. :)

Bought a bra and panty set in MY SIZE 32C (specialty size), and 5 on undies, for $12. Normally for my size this is a $200 specialty piece. What a rush! :D

The artist doing my next tattoo just had me do measurements. I'm excited.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot my password and didn't log on for a while, but I am happy to finally catch up on where this thread has been, haha! Love some of the photos and thoughts posted.

I have what I think is a killer idea for another piece, but I am stalled on getting it because I can't think of a place to put it that I feel good & excited about. #lame

Yall are so fun. Love this forum.

I was always like "I won't go below elbow" then I did. Then I said "I wont go hands", then I did. I also said "I wouldn't do neck", and now I am. I never pictured getting a full suit when I first started getting tattooed, well, that has drastically changed. I plan to have full coverage other than face, I'm saving my back for the person I want to do it and when I can afford it. Other than that, it's just putting them where they will fit. My arms, legs etc are just pieced together... but my torso/back I want to be planned out and done as a full back piece. I guess you can't say never.

• 2 weeks later...
Went on a date and realized my heart is with someone else. \\It's a good thing. He treats me like a queen. :)

Bought a bra and panty set in MY SIZE 32C (specialty size), and 5 on undies, for $12. Normally for my size this is a $200 specialty piece. What a rush! :D

The artist doing my next tattoo just had me do measurements. I'm excited.

Shit, too many windows open. Just caught my error.

Anyway, for some time, there's going to be condescending opinions of women with tattoos.

Look how they portray female artists in these TV shows: Stupid sluts. Generally, the percentage of professional males wearing visible ink is much higher than their female peers. We have different standards. Don't kid yourself.

However, not being a beauty anyway, my strongsuit has always been longevity and my history. I'm not going to push my luck and tattoo my face and neck, because I love what I do more than stuff on my body. However, when it comes to the personal, take me or leave me.

Shit, too many windows open. Just caught my error.

Anyway, for some time, there's going to be condescending opinions of women with tattoos.

Look how they portray female artists in these TV shows: Stupid sluts. Generally, the percentage of professional males wearing visible ink is much higher than their female peers. We have different standards. Don't kid yourself.

However, not being a beauty anyway, my strongsuit has always been longevity and my history. I'm not going to push my luck and tattoo my face and neck, because I love what I do more than stuff on my body. However, when it comes to the personal, take me or leave me.

Also what you see on TV and reality are 2 different things. In RL, I don't see that many artists with neck, face ink, but a few with hand tattoos. I think some artists make it on TV for the freak-show factor they portray.

I agree to the double-standard on TV, male vs female tattoo artists. The trade has long since been male dominated and may always be. My artists are both female and quite well respected.

Rob

Also what you see on TV and reality are 2 different things. In RL, I don't see that many artists with neck, face ink, but a few with hand tattoos. I think some artists make it on TV for the freak-show factor they portray.

I agree to the double-standard on TV, male vs female tattoo artists. The trade has long since been male dominated and may always be. My artists are both female and quite well respected.

Rob

I've had the pleasure of getting a tattoo from a female artist, and you're right - The majority of tattoo artists don't have "crazy" tattoos.

There's a difference though between how tattooed people are perceived by people who don't have them, though. It's much more acceptable to be a tattooed man than a tattooed woman in mainstream society. I have NEVER seen strangers be openly rude to a man with tattoos. I've seen a handful of incidents with women.

There's a difference though between how tattooed people are perceived by people who don't have them, though. It's much more acceptable to be a tattooed man than a tattooed woman in mainstream society. I have NEVER seen strangers be openly rude to a man with tattoos. I've seen a handful of incidents with women.

When I lived in Israel, I shopped for fruit and vegetables in the shuk (open-air market) on Friday mornings. It never failed -- there was always one guy who, in Hebrew, asked me, "But tell me, you don't regret?" [getting the tattoos] Sure, it could be annoying, but wasn't unexpected, and I blew them off politely. Somewhat different was riding on the bus: I made a point to get up and offer my seat to an elderly person (and Israel is full of them), who would smile, say "Thank you," and sit down. It wouldn't be longer than a minute, before s/he poked me; I'd look down, and s/he would pull up their sleeve to show me the number tattooed on their forearm -- with not an angry, but quizzical expression. I always nodded, and with a serious tone of voice replied, "This is what happens when you don't receive a Jewish education."

Rudeness can easily become a two-way street.

When I lived in Israel, I shopped for fruit and vegetables in the shuk (open-air market) on Friday mornings. It never failed -- there was always one guy who, in Hebrew, asked me, "But tell me, you don't regret?" [getting the tattoos] Sure, it could be annoying, but wasn't unexpected, and I blew them off politely. Somewhat different was riding on the bus: I made a point to get up and offer my seat to an elderly person (and Israel is full of them), who would smile, say "Thank you," and sit down. It wouldn't be longer than a minute, before s/he poked me; I'd look down, and s/he would pull up their sleeve to show me the number tattooed on their forearm -- with not an angry, but quizzical expression. I always nodded, and with a serious tone of voice replied, "This is what happens when you don't receive a Jewish education."

Rudeness can easily become a two-way street.

It's undeniable men have faced discrimination, but in my experience, people are more comfortable being nasty to women. These are mostly the type of people too cowardly to confront someone who might fight back, and in a culture where girls are raised to be sweet and demure, we're not expected to say anything in these sorts of situations. ;)

Israel is conservative in some aspects, so those reactions don't surprise me.

It's undeniable men have faced discrimination, but in my experience, people are more comfortable being nasty to women. These are mostly the type of people too cowardly to confront someone who might fight back, and in a culture where girls are raised to be sweet and demure, we're not expected to say anything in these sorts of situations. ;)

Israel is conservative in some aspects, so those reactions don't surprise me.

I definitely agree with this. My girlfriend works as a bartender/server in an Outback restaurant, she ALWAYS gets comments from people. A lot of people will flat out tell her that "tattoos are ugly, why would you do that to yourself?". I, on the other hand have not ever once received a comment from someone being rude. I get the "where do you get your ink?" questions a lot and "doesn't that hurt?" but other than nice comments I've never come across anybody being rude. I'm not even sure how I would react to a rude comment about them.

I actually experience extremely little negative remarks to being a women with tattoos! I get soo much positivism and love for them! Haha, I think it's amazing. Same thing wherever I go; Scandinavia, Sicily, Milan, Rome, Paris, London, Budapest, Prague, Miami, New York, all over. Old people love me. They stop me on the street and go on about which artists they love (fine arts), and how they think its amazing. I used to work as a bartender too, and my boss was convinced it attracted more business, because it made it seem like a less stuck-up bar and we got tattooed customers who drank a lot. So I was told to show 'em! The every other rude comment from young guys who prefer bombshell blondes, but that's alright. 20-25year old men are idiots anyways. (most of them. Not all. but the majority! )

Other than that; I'm not sure I'm going for full body coverage yet, but pretty close to it. I've always been a freak, with pink colored hair and piercings since I was like 14, so I guess it's just natural by now. I don't really consider my tattoos when choosing outfits etc, I'm filled with all the colors of the rainbow, so everything works now. As for flattering... I chose more based on a general outlook on design; No small designs in the middle of a large surface, making the tattoo work with my body(like, not tattooing a dagger pointing upwards on my inner thigh...), but not much more than that. I recently got a dagger on my outer thigh, and it would look better if I got to the gym more often. But I'd rather just add to it, so no one notices ;)

Sorry about the long post!