Your overall look as a tattooed person

keepcalm

It's much more acceptable to be a tattooed man than a tattooed woman in mainstream society. I have NEVER seen strangers be openly rude to a man with tattoos. I've seen a handful of incidents with women.

The verbal comments I have received from strangers have always been positive -- from both men and women, in the U.S. and when I was in India last month (somewhat surprisingly to me).

The only negative comments I've had said to my face have been from my mom. ("it makes me sick", "please cover them up", and... ::silent treatment:: sigh..)

Who's to know what people are thinking but don't say, though.

I feel like there is a perception that women who have lots of tattoos (or very visible ones) also have a certain personality type / attitude -- one that is maybe more aggressive or combatant than average ("bad ass") -- and that leads people to want to say things to them either to get a rise out of them, or get into an argument or something.

Though the perception for tattooed men may be the same re: aggressiveness, it's less interesting because it's more normal, in society's view, for men to be more aggressive / "bad ass."

The whole thing is obviously insane -- I know some very quiet and unassuming women with some visible "bad ass" tattoos -- but those are my thoughts on a possible reason for strangers treating tattooed men/women differently, based on very unscientific observations made in bars and on public transportation, haha :)

(Though I suppose this is vaguely related to the post topic, I apologize anyway for the detour!)

I personally have most my tattoos on my torso as well, this way i can keep them out of view if i need to, i think i would like to have a more even look across my body but at the same time, I like the fact that I can easily hide my tattoos .. I substitute teach and have had a variety of other jobs where tattoos in the work place are not acceptable, so its nice to play miss innocent no tattoos, then at night when i go to my second job and cocktail i am viewed as a whole different person. its funny when someone ive known for months at a job finds out im actually pretty heavily tattooed. they are in shock and aw. im sure ill end up with more noticeable tattoos someday, but for now, im keeping it real! real hidden hahah

- - - Updated - - -

All the comments I receive on my tattoos are extremely positive as well from men and women, they love the bright bold colors and are amazed at how big and how many i have compacted on my back and sides. I have had some of my customers tell me they like my tattoos but to not get anymore, hahah, as if i cared what they thought , they told me no arms or chest, ill be the judge of that in the end.

I have another guy that says he hates tattoos on women, but at the same time has some weird obsession with me, so maybe he really loves them deep down inside. The main criticism of my tattoos is my Grandmother who is near 90 years old and she doesnt even know about half my tattoos, shes grandma so its okay, she will never understand and i respect her opinions and keep them out of sight when im around her, everyone else tho just has to deal with it, weather they like it, think im trashy etc

I feel tattoos are so common place now its just not that taboo at all and found very sexy on women. At least in Las Vegas anyway :)

The verbal comments I have received from strangers have always been positive -- from both men and women, in the U.S. and when I was in India last month (somewhat surprisingly to me).

The only negative comments I've had said to my face have been from my mom. ("it makes me sick", "please cover them up", and... ::silent treatment:: sigh..)

Who's to know what people are thinking but don't say, though.

I feel like there is a perception that women who have lots of tattoos (or very visible ones) also have a certain personality type / attitude -- one that is maybe more aggressive or combatant than average ("bad ass") -- and that leads people to want to say things to them either to get a rise out of them, or get into an argument or something.

Though the perception for tattooed men may be the same re: aggressiveness, it's less interesting because it's more normal, in society's view, for men to be more aggressive / "bad ass."

The whole thing is obviously insane -- I know some very quiet and unassuming women with some visible "bad ass" tattoos -- but those are my thoughts on a possible reason for strangers treating tattooed men/women differently, based on very unscientific observations made in bars and on public transportation, haha :)

(Though I suppose this is vaguely related to the post topic, I apologize anyway for the detour!)

Edited by JaimeNV
typo

I may be unique here in that I am sure that I will eventually be very heavily covered, but I can't help but only want to get work on one body part at a time.

I have seen people do this before, and it makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, I have my nine tattoos on every category of body parts except my left arm and back, and the most tattoos I have on any particular appendage is two. I like having it that way, for a variety of reasons. I plan on eventually having a body suit, so I figure I might as well get a mix of larger and smaller, one or two session tattoos. My backpiece will take place when I have enough money and the right idea, and my left arm is saved for a Japanese sleeve.

• 2 weeks later...

Awwww! Thanks @Graeme , @hogg , @Delicious , @TrixieFaux , et al.

I love that picture, I was stunned when I saw it. I was flipping through the photographer's favorites from the wedding and there it was. I hadn't realized she took that picture. (Admittedly, I'd put back a few by that time of the night!!)

I honestly had no idea how awesome the tattoos all look together - I never see them from afar like that, never see them the way a distant observer would. It's no wonder I get stopped on the streets!! :)

• 4 weeks later...
I was in a wedding back in September, this is one of the candid shots the photographer took :)

<a  href=6b81988e-7ad4-45f3-bae2-46d13268dd81_zps

Went back thru this thread b/c the direction I'm going in, I'm going to be heavily tattooed on one side of my back/one upper arm, and kinda sprinkled on the other side and I was getting antsy about it... and saw this picture-so stunning how the tattoos look together, and with your dress, just beautiful.

Haha I also have a scorpion and a snake, I also have a werewolf but that's a mythical beast so it doesn't count.

What do the snake/scorpion mean to you? Mine are based on my astrological sign and chinese zodiac--scorpio and year of the snake--the scorpion is red and represents passion as well as protection, the snake itself represents rebirth, protections and strength/power, some say it's evil-esp the way it looks, but I dont see it that way

I too have a snake. It's wrapped around a coffin on my right arm. For me I always connected it with biblical imagery and the book of Genesis. Thought of the tattoo idea when I was still religious. A year later I became in atheist but still liked the imagery/symbolism. Especially since in the Qur'an the only crime Iblis (who becomes Shaitan after being banished from heaven) commits is questioning god and I liked that. Coincidentally the year I got the tattoo was also the Chinese year of the snake.

For my upper body, I have an oriental thing going on. My back only has one piece towards my neck, so that's open to a mix of styles.

My left leg has a Polynesian theme to it, so I'll keep that going. My right I have designated a family theme to it. I'll have 2 family crests on my calf within a few years.

Rob

Went back thru this thread b/c the direction I'm going in, I'm going to be heavily tattooed on one side of my back/one upper arm, and kinda sprinkled on the other side and I was getting antsy about it... and saw this picture-so stunning how the tattoos look together, and with your dress, just beautiful.

Left arm Traditional images with star and dot filler. Chest tradional panther head Mashup. Belly I'm planning on doing the Pharaohs horses. left leg is mainly apprentices or friends new to the game. Right leg legend of the Koi Dragon Japanese stocking. right arm same as left arm. Back 2 black and grey potraits ( left shoulder blade potrait of my great aunt just becuase i liked the picture and the right Marilyn Monroe) and the rest of the back Black and grey Rock of ages to frame the 2 potraits. feet idealy Hot Stuff and lady Hot Stuff.