Your overall look as a tattooed person

keepcalm

When woman commit suicide they tend to cut their wrist or over dose so is to look good at the funeral.

Its not from a lack of trust, but would you mind citing your source for this information? I've seen a lot of suicidal people at work, and most of them, male or female, aren't really worried about aesthetics when they are at that point of their life (at least those making serious attempts).

I don't doubt the info, just curious :)

Its not from a lack of trust, but would you mind citing your source for this information? I've seen a lot of suicidal people at work, and most of them, male or female, aren't really worried about aesthetics when they are at that point of their life (at least those making serious attempts).

I don't doubt the info, just curious :)

It's fine. I can look it up a credible source for you so its not like Wikipedia or anything. But I took an EMT class and our teacher a registered EMT told us all sorts of stuff that he'd seen, and things that where "common knowledge" that where bologna.

- - - Updated - - -

And I did say its not 100% of the time. Its more common with adults and older people. Like Moms struggling with hard core depression. They don't want to be seen by their family like that so they tend to do the less messy thing out of vanity.

Its not "The Medical Encyclopedia" or anything but here's one website with different suicide facts.

Suicide Statistics - Suicide

Psychology :: Suicide Training, Education, and Prevention Services :: University of Memphis

--"What are the most common methods of suicide?

Firearms are the most commonly used method of suicide for men and women, accounting for 60 percent of all suicides. Nearly 80 percent of all firearm suicides are committed by white males.

The second most common method for men is hanging; for women, the second most common method is self-poisoning including drug overdose. The presence of a firearm in the home has been

found to be an independent, additional risk factor for suicide. Thus, when a family member or health care provider is faced with an individual at risk for suicide, they should make sure that

firearms are removed from the home."

- - - Updated - - -

Heh, I love bologna, but I try not to feed it to other people. :)

That was one of the things that he and other medical personnel we talked to hated, was that the internet is everyones "doctor" so "facts" and "diagnoses" where all crap that someone thought sounded right so feed it to everyone else.

Yes, I think about the overall look. I have one tattoo that is currently bothering me regarding this. It is fine as a tattoo on its own, kind of cute, simple and small... but it is in the way of what I am now planning. I'm trying to decide whether to cover it or just leave it/go around it and let it just stick out, not going with the cohesiveness I would like for my right arm. Didn't pre-plan well enough because I didn't know I'd get this urge to fill my arms haha. Anyway, I'll discuss it with the artist when I go in to show her my references. I already kind of talked to her about it briefly and she just said, "eh, that's tattoos". Like it's no problem if it doesn't "go" with the rest. But for me....it's a little of a problem. :-) Even though I like it, I wish it weren't there! I'm not that worried though. I know it'll all work out whether I cover it or keep it. It's in good hands.

I'm kind of struggling with this. I have one on each shoulder blade and one is a bit larger than the other. I'm trying to think of filler designs for the smaller one to try to balance it out, but I'm afraid that it will look cluttered. But since I'm sticking with traditional american, I'm not overly worried because it seems most people with that style have that cluttered look.

Well I can say that I will probably end up pretty much covered in the far (but not too distant) future. That being said I plan my tattoos based around where there is space, where other tattoos are/will be and mostly to be more cohesive to some degree. Just because I'm leaning toward heavy coverage doesn't mean I'm not planning it just as meticulously as ones who are not.

For myself, there is a balance I must have so that the tattoos on either side or surrounding compliment the others. Like the clouds on my left leg-sleeve are mirrored on my right side knee demon. I also prefer to have some gaps between different artists.

There is also a degree of planning for how visible my tattoos are to a point, in regards to work. Neck up and wrists down are definet no-gos at the moment. I am still debating on my forearms since I like to roll up my shirt sleeves at work. Hands are my retirement present.

Basically I would like it to look like it all makes sense when I'm staring at myself in the mirror.

I just wanted to make the observation that it is almost exclusively women that have concerns about spacing/placement/symmetry in this thread. I find that interesting...

Interesting observation. Maybe it's because of the way women's fashions are designed, or maybe it's societal pressure, but for me, I feel like I still want to look like me, including all of my skin, and I'd rather have tattooed accents then just fill up every space because I can. I picture myself having a professional job, getting married, going out, aging.... and I'd rather still have alot of my natural skin than be tattooed at that point. Who knows, maybe when I am older and my vanity/financial/social concerns wane, I'll go get full sleeves ;)

Interesting observation. Maybe it's because of the way women's fashions are designed, or maybe it's societal pressure, but for me, I feel like I still want to look like me, including all of my skin, and I'd rather have tattooed accents then just fill up every space because I can. I picture myself having a professional job, getting married, going out, aging.... and I'd rather still have alot of my natural skin than be tattooed at that point. Who knows, maybe when I am older and my vanity/financial/social concerns wane, I'll go get full sleeves ;)

The one thing I can point out is, you can be very, very heavily tattooed and still hold a job in a Fortune 50 company. This is a fact, and actually a big myth. As a manager I can say this. I would have a bigger issue with you showing that much skin at a job over that actual tattoos. I generally do frown upon this at work already. While men (in suits) generally have the most clothes coverage, I feel woman should also dress very conservatively at work. This means a suit or long dress and at least 3/4 sleeves. With even that you have over 70% of your body covered! The only thing really showing on me at work is my neck up and my hands!

The corporate office is not a place for creative dress. (Damn I sound like my dad)

I'm going to second this.

I used to have ideas of how things were going to go together, and I still kind of have rough ideas and plans, but mostly when it comes down to picking a design and placement I'm all about spur of the moment decisions. I figure that it's all going to end up as one tattoo more or less anyway so I don't stress out about it.

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. When I really first started getting tattooed I had a master plan. I still sort of have it mapped out, but other ideas have popped up that seemed to fit better elsewhere. As it stands, aside from my chest, I'm almost completely unbalanced with rightside tattoos. Haha. But yeah, eventually it'll all be covered (or close to it), so as long as I can make what I want fit somewhere, I'm happy.

I never really cared to much about this......my first was a visible tattoo before tattoos became "fashionable." I don't think I ever "planned" to be this heavily covered BUT I am seeing it happen a lot more now than it was happening 15 years ago! People seem to be rushing to get covered for some reason not thinking what those tattoos are gonna look like in 40 years!

Take your time.....get good tattoos.....and if you are worried about what others think of your tattoos then you probably aren't someone who should be getting tattooed!

(that last comment was not directed at any one person.....just in general)

I just wanted to make the observation that it is almost exclusively women that have concerns about spacing/placement/symmetry in this thread. I find that interesting...

Allow me to reintroduce myself....

I have always strived for balance in my tattoos. In fact, it's bothering me right now that I have both sides of my right knee open. Then again, as I start to run low on real estate, I notice every single blank spot.

And I'm with Diehardonvhs: you get one back, your biggest uninterrupted canvas. If you want a ton of coverage, you'd be a fool not to give serious thought and planning to placement.

I don't know if I really map things out, or go for a balanced look, but I do think a lot about placement and the way everything will look eventually. I may be unique here in that I am sure that I will eventually be very heavily covered, but I can't help but only want to get work on one body part at a time. For instance, right now I'm working on covering my left arm, they are all separate pieces (though in the same style), and they aren't really planned out in advance, but I started with the top of the arm and have been working my way down. I wouldn't have wanted to get a piece here and there and have them all connect eventually, not really sure why, I guess I just like the way they look close together and seeing how they flow with one another. And I probably won't get any other part of my body tattooed until this arm is done.

I have to appear to be tattoo free for work. I also like the idea of having a lot of work and most people being none the wiser. So I'm limited to areas covered with short sleeves and shorts.

From my first tattoo I've had an overall plan in mind and I discussed it with my artist. I have both chest panels onto my upper arms done. I plan on starting my back piece this winter. After that maybe my upper thighs and I'm done.

All of my tattoos are a westernized Japanese style and they will all flow together.

Didn't when I started out and boy do I wish I had. More than the planning, wish I'd known just a bit more about style and color and what I liked and why I liked it and how it looked on me. Or maybe it's that I've just changed my opinions and understand the bigger picture. But as far as how I look to other people being a "tattooed person," no. Only that this place is full of guys and gals with a handful of tattoos so it just spurs me on to get even more.. if that makes sense. All or nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

this place

"This place," meaning Williamsburg and Greenpoint.

So there's this. I started off with a bird on my left arm. When that was finished, I wanted a koi. Had it placed on my right lower leg for balance on my body. But then summer ends and I stop wearing shorts and start wearing jeans and a tee. visually all of a sudden I lose the balance (covered legs) so I get my right arm tattooed with a dragon. But oh wait! Now I'm no longer balanced when wearing shorts again. Oh the angst! But I can't just get my other leg tattooed because that would be all too much like what some have called a "vans warped tour body suit". Hell no! So now to avoid that I must get my torso covered, then I can get my left leg tattooed. The things that happen to achieve balance ;-)

Actually the torso part hasn't happened yet, but it's a matter of time really.

The other thing that's interesting is some have said they can't or won't show their tattoos in public or at work so they started with their torso. I have no problems walking around with my arms or leg bare in personal life. Oddball me though, not known for thinking like a normal rational person opted instead with the decision to never wear short sleeves for the rest of my life when at work, near work, in a condition where I may run into anyone from work, etc. Never ever. Ha! And I always have a jacket close by just in case too. My friends think I'm weird. Especially when wearing a hoodie in 80 degree summertime LA ;-)

So there's this. I started off with a bird on my left arm. When that was finished, I wanted a koi. Had it placed on my right lower leg for balance on my body. But then summer ends and I stop wearing shorts and start wearing jeans and a tee. visually all of a sudden I lose the balance (covered legs) so I get my right arm tattooed with a dragon. But oh wait! Now I'm no longer balanced when wearing shorts again. Oh the angst! But I can't just get my other leg tattooed because that would be all too much like what some have called a "vans warped tour body suit". Hell no! So now to avoid that I must get my torso covered, then I can get my left leg tattooed. The things that happen to achieve balance ;-)

Actually the torso part hasn't happened yet, but it's a matter of time really.

The other thing that's interesting is some have said they can't or won't show their tattoos in public or at work so they started with their torso. I have no problems walking around with my arms or leg bare in personal life. Oddball me though, not known for thinking like a normal rational person opted instead with the decision to never wear short sleeves for the rest of my life when at work, near work, in a condition where I may run into anyone from work, etc. Never ever. Ha! And I always have a jacket close by just in case too. My friends think I'm weird. Especially when wearing a hoodie in 80 degree summertime LA ;-)

I still remember the last "casual Friday" I wore a short sleeve button up to work for the last time ever.

So there's this. I started off with a bird on my left arm. When that was finished, I wanted a koi. Had it placed on my right lower leg for balance on my body. But then summer ends and I stop wearing shorts and start wearing jeans and a tee. visually all of a sudden I lose the balance (covered legs) so I get my right arm tattooed with a dragon. But oh wait! Now I'm no longer balanced when wearing shorts again. Oh the angst!

This is what I worry will happen to me, haha! Perfectionism and tattoos do NOT go together...

I've always felt like I'm limited to just tattooing my limbs because of issues I have with my weight. I just wouldn't feel comfortable getting anything done anywhere on my chest, ribs, back, etc. so right now I only have my arms and legs tattooed. I guess I am quite the opposite of most other females who would rather get their work done in places they can hide easily lol

So in regards to balancing things out and placement... I do still partake in that little detail. For some reason symmetry must really be a woman's thing. I have 18 tattoos total and nine are on the right side of my body and nine are on the left side.

I have two decent sized tattoos on my right arm of an ocean scene and desert scene and those two are driving me crazy right now. I would love to somehow connect the two and make it appear as one, but on the bottom of the arm I have what looks like a pizza slice of blank space and on the top I have a good inch and a half of space between the two, running parallel between them. I have no clue how to tie them in together and it's annoying the hell out of me. I can't possibly think of anything else to add to them. Moments like this are when I wish I would have thought things through a liiiiitle bit more!