When do touchups make sense?

donbcivil

I'm still new to tattooing and was wondering when touchups make sense and when they'll come across as kind of a pointless perfectionism. Since tattoos are placed on skin, a surface that's very different from other surfaces on which artists draw.

What sort of percentage of tattoos people go back to have retouched. Half maybe? More? Less?

And what sort of visual issues send you back for touchups. Tattoos that ended up healing a little inconsistent in color solidity or a LOT consistent? Minor issues with lines in the tattoo?

Thanks, D

I think generally most people don't come back for touch-ups. The shop I work in' date=' I don't see that very often.

Only if people clearly haven't been taking care of it. Or those assholes that are addicted to tanning................[/quote']

The most touch up I've done took 10 mins.. The red in the shield in my crest wasn't as 'full' as I wanted.. Like I say nothing major, and I always wait a good while.. My artist offers a free touch up within a year so I get it.. Figure they offer so I get it :shrug:

This is why I have come to prefer tattoos that take multiple sessions, just because it saves from the dreaded going to the studio just for a touch up (which I don't really like). I would rather just have anything be taken care of that needs it along with something new, than just a touch up.

I never go back for touch ups, unless the tattooer looks at the healed tattoo and sees something they want to touch up or it's something really obvious. Getting tattooed by the same people a lot, then tend to touch up their other work, while working on new pieces if they see something that stands out. I don't think their is anything wrong with getting a touch up, but one word of advise for others who might read this, wait till the tattoo heals completely before talking about a touch up. Nothing more annoying than someone with a three day old tattoo freaking out in the tattoo shop about something they think they see in the tattoo.

There is definitely a misconception about tattoos and touch ups, I think too many people are used to getting tattooed by people who don't know what they are doing and having to come back for touch ups, in turn their friends with no tattoos hear them talk about going to get tattoos touched up, so when they decide to start getting tattooed, they think it's part of the process.

I've had 2 minor and 1 slightly-more-major touch up. The first, I noticed a tiny spot where the artist missed shading that helped create a sense of depth, which was definitely missing. He fixed it in about 3 minutes (he would not accept a tip, although I did buy his shop t-shirt design so at least he got a percentage of that). The second was a missing a tiny line that, again, took moments and was taken care of at the same time as the third, which was at the artist's request. This entailed re-shading parts of a black and grey piece that he was not satisfied with after the first session, which I completely appreciated. This time, the tip was accepted.

So, I guess what I'm saying is I approve of the touch-up if you (and/or the artist) feel the piece is missing something or is lacking in some way.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only done a touch up on two tattoos. One of them I went back and requested myself. I really regret doing it because it looked worse the second time around. A lot of the problem was my fault... Picking a design that had no black outline. But after the touch up the artist also told me he should have passed that tattoo off to someone else in the shop because it was too difficult for him. Well how nice of you to tell me after you get the initial money and tip for it and the tip for the touch up! That tattoo now looks like a big piece of colorful crap lol

The second touch up was on my desert scene on my arm. I went in to get the background done on it and the butterfly and ladybug added and my artist wanted to go over the little kangaroo rat again. I was perfectly happy with how it came out the first time around, but if he is not happy with how it looks then I am more than happy to let him fix it. I am basically a big walking advertisement for him so I would like to advertise as best as I can.

He wants to touch up my ocean scene as well. The bottom of my arm where it sits and rubs on the desk at work got kind of chewed up and is missing some color. I am waiting until I make an appointment to get the rest of my arm done to tie my desert and ocean scene together because I don't want to go back and just take up time from him for a touch up.

After my first experience I won't request a touch up on my own. I learned my lesson. My skin is really sensitive and I think having it worked over twice makes it harder to accept the ink. Luckily the artist I go to now managed to make my kangaroo rat look better after he added a little more color, hopefully he can do the same with my ocean scene. I would absolutely hate for my skin to reject the ink and end up looking worse. Right now it only has ink pulled out on the part by the elbow.

• 2 weeks later...