When do touchups make sense?

donbcivil

No, 99% of artists will touch up their work for free, as long as the client didnt damage the tattoo themselves through poor aftercare or sun damage etc...only ever heard of one artist who, due to a high profile and very high demand, charges for every second of his time, regardless of what he is doing - designing and drawing at home, stencils, setting up machines, touch ups, everything!

No, 99% of artists will touch up their work for free, as long as the client didnt damage the tattoo themselves through poor aftercare or sun damage etc...only ever heard of one artist who, due to a high profile and very high demand, charges for every second of his time, regardless of what he is doing - designing and drawing at home, stencils, setting up machines, touch ups, everything!

I have seen and actually have a policy of no free touch ups on foot tattoos, finger tattoos and palm tattoos, but yeah first touch up is free as long as you come in a reasonable time on most tattoos. Those spots are so problematic, and very easy to screw up the healing on the clients end, it's just easier to pose it that way, if anything it gets people to be more careful.

I only point this out because taken out of context one could say a shop wouldn't touch up my tattoo for free, when in reality it was just the exception.

I have seen and actually have a policy of no free touch ups on foot tattoos, finger tattoos and palm tattoos, but yeah first touch up is free as long as you come in a reasonable time on most tattoos. Those spots are so problematic, and very easy to screw up the healing on the clients end, it's just easier to pose it that way, if anything it gets people to be more careful.

I only point this out because taken out of context one could say a shop wouldn't touch up my tattoo for free, when in reality it was just the exception.

Yeah, you are totally right, I have worked in studios where side of finger tattoos, side of the palm, inside lip, strange areas like that arent touched up for free, due to the large chance that they never heal well. We always told people that there is a high chance of drop out in these areas, and if they needed touching up they would need to pay, just generally made sure they agreed to everything before they expected free touch ups every month! It does absolutely make people take the aftercare more seriously, plus it made people think twice about getting dubious areas tattooed too!