Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

My boyfriend hates my interest in tattoos and once volunteered to get some tattoos on himself so I wouldn't have to get any more on me. He seems to think I just like looking at them on someone, anyone, not even necessarily myself. I told him I would be thrilled if he got some, but it won't make any difference as far as what I get. :D
Take it from an old salt: This is an insult on your body. RUN! This is like a boyfriend that tells you you're too fat, thin, breasts are too small, that YOU are not good enough, and that YOU need to conform to his standards.

Let's rephrase this: "You're getting kind of fat. Would you stop eating so much if I put on a few?" See the change in language? Reconsider if this guy is a real champ.

Yeah, that really is quite a red flag there.

The only time it really bothers me when people talk shit about tattoos/people's tattoos is the situations when I can't say anything back. This really only happens around coworkers. My favorite being "that poor shmuck will never have a job as good as ours with all that shit drawn on him". I thought to myself, if only they knew...

The "never get a job" comments seemed to be the ones that bother me the most, whether directed at me or not. My career is practically my life and to say such things is such a stupid comment that is very ill-informed. This being backed up by the fact that one of the most successful people I know regularly gets tattooed at the same shop as me. I think this misconception will continue as use "closet tattooed folk" never really show any tattoos around coworkers/bosses so the myth will continue.

I can't say a word at work either. I'm towards the tail end of my career anyway and I've been very much under the tattoo radar. I avoid company off-work social functions in the warmer months like the plague.

The best closet-tattoo-freak ever was this strict and stern teacher we had in grade school. He came in wearing a 3-piece suit and ran his class room like a concentration camp. On lunch duty, there was no talking by anyone. I later learn many years later that this guy was very heavily inked from his years in the Navy and drank like the proverbial fish every night.

Rob

I'm starting to be less and less concerned about concealing my tattoos at work. I roll my sleeves up part way these days, so it's no longer a secret. I just noticed one of my colleagues has a big bright tattoo that runs up the back of her neck. I was on the subway the other day and looked up only to see one of my supervisors staring through the window at me with her jaw on the floor. Lol. Cat's outta the bag now.

I am up to about 13 tattoos now and I still get the brilliant comment from un-tattooed people of "I didn't expect you to have tattoos" or "You don't look like a tattooed person." Which makes me beg the question is there a specific combination of piercings, ripped jeans, and t-shirt from an obscure 80's rock band that I need so that people aren't surprised I have tattoos. It just baffles me as a comment.

Also I work with kids and quite often have entertaining conversations that simply start with them stating "You have a tattoo." This opens up a world of fun and mildly sarcastic responses from shock that I have two half sleeves and pretending I didn't know they were there to convincing them that I wake up early every morning and draw them on with Sharpies. I probably shouldn't, it's a bit cheeky of me, but it is great fun.

Another thing that confuses me though is when people seem to think that they can demand to see my tattoos in full. This has on occassion resulted in some un-tattooed people requesting, quite politely, that I take various items of clothing off. Most recently this happened at a wedding when the mother of the groom demanded I take off my shirt so she could see my half sleeves. Very awkward in the middle of the reception and it was probably a good thing I hadn't had more to drink at that point or who knows what would have happened.

There are always the normal questions though of "Did it hurt?", "How much did it cost?", "Don't you think you will regret it?" etc. They are always fun to answer sarcastically as well otherwise it just gets repetative.

Heh, I love the "take off your shirt" requests. Not gonna happen. In a restaurant, on the street, at a reception - what is going through their heads? It's like they can't see the absurdity (or the rudeness) of their demands. If I were alone (or with my wife) and a friend asked to see, I might comply, but probably not. However, if a tattooed friend asked I'd probably whip the shirt off in a second and start talking tattoos. I guess I've got my own double standard about it.

This opens up a world of fun and mildly sarcastic responses from shock that I have two half sleeves and pretending I didn't know they were there to convincing them that I wake up early every morning and draw them on with Sharpies. I probably shouldn't, it's a bit cheeky of me, but it is great fun.

I'm a kindergarten teacher (and so far this year I am just wearing long sleeves every day). Another teacher I worked with was covered in tattoos and often several of them would be showing. She told her kindergartners that they were stickers.

Years ago during college I was working at Home Goods stocking items and this (seemingly un-tattooed) customer spots my foot tattoo and starts a discussion on tattoos/BLATANTLY hitting on me. Out of nowhere (without me asking) he shows me this god awful hip tattoo which in order to show me he has to fold and pull down his jeans a bit. I saw like the side of his dick and was not enthused !!!! Ugh I don't understand the need to strip to show off your tattoos. If you want to be all badass then get them where they show...

I never indulge people who want to see them if it means I have to bare part of my body that is normally covered up.

I never indulge people who want to see them if it means I have to bare part of my body that is normally covered up.

True that part, but I especially hate it when people actually try to pull up my shirt to see my back or pull it up to show someone else my tattoos. Sometimes, I'm not even part of the group conversation when someone's tried to lift up my shirt. Then they get pissed off at me when I whirl around glaring. WTF!

I don't think the main intention there was to show you his tattoos...

Indeed! When I was a lass (mid 1990's UK in a run-down, low rent rural town) a hell of a lot of 'the girls' were getting tattooed - the main point seemed to be as an excuse to get ones tits / arse / thighs out. All the tattoos that were flashed at me were shit, without exception.

The blokes just had lumpy tribal.

No wonder it's taken me nearly 20 years to get started.

Still 10 days to go :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

(9 days in fact - last time the passage of time felt so painfully slow was in the last weeks of my pregnancies)

Years ago during college I was working at Home Goods stocking items and this (seemingly un-tattooed) customer spots my foot tattoo and starts a discussion on tattoos/BLATANTLY hitting on me. Out of nowhere (without me asking) he shows me this god awful hip tattoo which in order to show me he has to fold and pull down his jeans a bit. I saw like the side of his dick and was not enthused !!!! Ugh I don't understand the need to strip to show off your tattoos. If you want to be all badass then get them where they show...

You might cringe at what I'm about to say, but I found that after getting tattooed, I've become less inhibited. If people ask, I have no problems dropping trow to show them the work I have. Of course it wouldn't be in the middle of the aisle at the local Walmart or Best Buy. But if its at the tattoo shop, at my home or someone else's home, full monty is no problem, hahaha

Augh, last year I was taking driving lessons (yes I am a little behind!) and as I got into the car for my first lesson, the instructor spotted an early iteration of my back piece peeking out of my shirt, and he started talking about how he had tattoos too, and TOOK OFF HIS SHIRT to show me the piece on his bicep. I was nervous enough about driving for the first time in 15 years as it was! He even looked around beforehand to make sure no one was walking by, because he "didn't want to seem creepy".

Augh, last year I was taking driving lessons (yes I am a little behind!) and as I got into the car for my first lesson, the instructor spotted an early iteration of my back piece peaking out of my shirt, and he started talking about how he had tattoos too, and TOOK OVER HIS SHIRT to show me the piece on his bicep. I was nervous enough about driving for the first time in 15 years as it was! He even looked around beforehand to make sure no one was walking by, because he "didn't want to seem creepy".

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm definitely NOT that kinda guy. hahahahaha. Priceless!

You might cringe at what I'm about to say, but I found that after getting tattooed, I've become less inhibited. If people ask, I have no problems dropping trow to show them the work I have. Of course it wouldn't be in the middle of the aisle at the local Walmart or Best Buy. But if its at the tattoo shop, at my home or someone else's home, full monty is no problem, hahaha

Oh tattoo shops and being with close tattooed friends are about the only exceptions. And perhaps LSTers because I know y'all appreciate and have good tattoos.

The only thing that really irks me is when people ask any iteration of the tired question, "won't you regret that when you are older?" implying that they know how I am going to feel 40-50 years from now, if I even manage to live that long. I got my first tattoo the day I turned 18 and I still like it. After a lot of thought about designs, and finally having enough disposable income to get more, it was nine years before I got my second tattoo. Plenty of time to evaluate whether I wanted more or not. Since smart phones have made replying with a photo easier, I keep this handy to answer any form of the question I mentioned.

IMG_0367_zpsa8902112.jpg

The only thing that really irks me is when people ask any iteration of the tired question, "won't you regret that when you are older?" implying that they know how I am going to feel 40-50 years from now, if I even manage to live that long. I got my first tattoo the day I turned 18 and I still like it. After a lot of thought about designs, and finally having enough disposable income to get more, it was nine years before I got my second tattoo. Plenty of time to evaluate whether I wanted more or not. Since smart phones have made replying with a photo easier, I keep this handy to answer any form of the question I mentioned.

IMG_0367_zpsa8902112.jpg

Vampire Bill! Anyone. That's all I could think of, he looked just like Stephen Moyer.

While my last was only two days old, a lady manager who was curious and the 'touchy feely' type abruptly grabbed my arm and twisted to get a better look. She complimented me by I still asked her had she lost her mind. Personally I'd rather deal with the stereotypical plain skin questions but putting hands on me and basically trying to force my hand in displaying my tattoo crossed the line IMO.

A close friend still works there in her department said she was taken aback at my response.

Seriously..

My boyfriend hates my interest in tattoos and once volunteered to get some tattoos on himself so I wouldn't have to get any more on me. He seems to think I just like looking at them on someone, anyone, not even necessarily myself. I told him I would be thrilled if he got some, but it won't make any difference as far as what I get. :D

Nah, you should tell him you accept his offer and have him get three or four tattoos. At least one in a spot he doesn´t usually keep covered.

Then you start getting tattooed again.

Take it from an old salt: This is an insult on your body. RUN! This is like a boyfriend that tells you you're too fat, thin, breasts are too small, that YOU are not good enough, and that YOU need to conform to his standards.

Let's rephrase this: "You're getting kind of fat. Would you stop eating so much if I put on a few?" See the change in language? Reconsider if this guy is a real champ.

Delayed response...I think its slightly different because this is a permanent alteration. It's more like if I had a limb amputated and he had to adapt to that. I think he'll be able to accept it to some degree and we'll see how he feels about any future work when I get to that point; he's either going to learn to like it, or end up hating it and that's his issue. I'm working hard on overcoming how other people will judge me for tattoos I might want, and I have to admit, he's making things more difficult when he should be making them easier for me. I don't want to derail this thread any more than I already have and turn it into a big sob story, but I am having some doubts about us lately for reasons along those lines. I used to feel like he was supportive of me, but lately it seems like we just can't understand each other. I'm finally able to pursue my interests in tattoos, and I feel like he's not really in my corner.

Delayed response...I think its slightly different because this is a permanent alteration. It's more like if I had a limb amputated and he had to adapt to that. I think he'll be able to accept it to some degree and we'll see how he feels about any future work when I get to that point; he's either going to learn to like it, or end up hating it and that's his issue. I'm working hard on overcoming how other people will judge me for tattoos I might want, and I have to admit, he's making things more difficult when he should be making them easier for me. I don't want to derail this thread any more than I already have and turn it into a big sob story, but I am having some doubts about us lately for reasons along those lines. I used to feel like he was supportive of me, but lately it seems like we just can't understand each other. I'm finally able to pursue my interests in tattoos, and I feel like he's not really in my corner.

You are really young...you have plenty of time to date different people and find the right guy, you don't have to tie yourself down with someone who doesn't share your interests. It's not easy to break off a relationship at any age, even when you know it isn't right, you still have the things you liked about the person to begin with. But I agree, if there's something that you are really interested in like this, and he hates it, it's going to be a problem down the road. If you stop getting them for him, you will have resentment. If you keep getting them and he keeps badgering you to stop, you will both have resentment. Life is hard enough without getting a bunch of flack from the person who is supposed to love you.

You are really young...you have plenty of time to date different people and find the right guy, you don't have to tie yourself down with someone who doesn't share your interests. It's not easy to break off a relationship at any age, even when you know it isn't right, you still have the things you liked about the person to begin with. But I agree, if there's something that you are really interested in like this, and he hates it, it's going to be a problem down the road. If you stop getting them for him, you will have resentment. If you keep getting them and he keeps badgering you to stop, you will both have resentment. Life is hard enough without getting a bunch of flack from the person who is supposed to love you.

nailed it! :)