Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

I was at a wedding too last week, and a grown man, who managed to reach 35 years of age, with a family, asked me if I was working on my backpiece myself. From neck to knees. Full backpiece. Was I tattooing it on myself. I just told him I wasn't flexible enough to do that and left forever.

Urgh, what a creep. It gave me the shudders just reading this. I can well imagine the guy and how you really wouldn't want to come close enough to touch him...

Good reaction anyway, I would probably just have been grossed out and not able to say anything intelligent at all in that situation.

oh good heavens, how do you guys not laugh when people are being that dumb? I can understand some general ignorance from those that aren't tattooed or not around anyone who is (I get "did that hurt?" "yes" "well then why do you do it?" often)...but good night Irene those are some idiots. And an asshat thrown in for good measure w/his concern over hep c.

Disgusting, I hate religious zealots!

I Had an older man approach me the other day and asked WHY I did that to my beautiful skin. I told him I had waited my whole life for a beautiful piece and I love it. He then asked about when I get older like 40 and changed my mind.......I answered that I'm 43 and I'm quite able to make permanent life changing decisions. BUT Thanks anyways. It's funny though, that he would feel so uppity about my work since he had been panhandling before I walked up. I also had another man ask me what my tramp stamp said. I said excuse me...1 I'm not a tramp and 2 I don't have any tramp stamps. He answered It might help you get pregnant. :( WTF?

Oh then last night, Hubby and I were getting a beer at a local pub when some skezie guy started talking to me about my work then started stripping to show me all his....He then asked about hourly wages. It didn't bother me since he didn't ask how much it cost. I told him....He said HOLY SHIT! I NEVER pay more than 40 an hour and my guy even does it in my kitchen....I smiled and walked away quickly.

"So you just up and made a major life decision without any second thought about it?!"

- my dad after seeing my chest plate

LOL

he was pissed... poor guy. too conservative to think rationally or openly at times..

This!

I've also had more than a handful of weirdos say "I'll pray for you" or something similar. This always makes me glad I have several devil tattoos and the wanting for several more.

i'd love to respond to that with "...pray hard"

i'm torn between being a pacifist by nature and my desire to wear art of which holds a negative connotation to those who believe in such things..

Douchechills and douchebumps.

ahhhhhh douche chills. I love that term been a while since hearing it now that O & A got divorced. What scares me about @SeeSea's story is that guy probably thought he was super charming.

"So you just up and made a major life decision without any second thought about it?!"

Is it wrong that I don't view a tattoo as a major life decision (if not on the face). They are permanent, but they aren't like moving across the world or restarting a career. Hell its not even changing college majors to me, maybe I have a warped viewpoint

Lately I've been getting comments about my "loud choice of undershirt" that has been making me laugh a bit. Why

I was at a cookout recently with a crowd I wouldn't typically be hanging out with, and one of the guys there saw I had tattoos and started talking to me about them. He actually complimented me on them, but then remarked how some coworkers told him that 80% of people with 3 or more tattoos have done time. Hahaha. I found it pretty funny, but stuff like that doesn't typically bother me.

The guy was kind of an ass, but we were ribbing each other all day joking around, so I think it was just his dry sense of humor. You never know with people though. He brought it up again later when the kids were around, and I just responded that I haven't been to prison...yet.

The guy was kind of an ass, but we were ribbing each other all day joking around, so I think it was just his dry sense of humor. You never know with people though. He brought it up again later when the kids were around, and I just responded that I haven't been to prison...yet.

It's one thing to joke around with adults. It's another thing to do the same type of joking around in front of kids.

He actually complimented me on them, but then remarked how some coworkers told him that 80% of people with 3 or more tattoos have done time.

When I was feeling extra surly (read: often) and people would comment about how I'd "obviously been in prison with all those tatts" I would tell them

"Yep, beat a guy nearly to death for touching my "tatts" and making asinine judgmental comments"

This is why I have tattoos I can cover. Once I got over my need to please everyone at the ripe age of 30, I realize I dislike probably 2/3rds of people I meet.

agreed. and of the remaining likeable 1/3rd, I don't want to be around them 2/3rds of the time. and that 1/3rd of tolerable time with likeable people usually occurs after consuming 2/3rds of a 6-pack.

I realized a while ago at work that members of the general public are more likely to talk to me (I work a job that a lot of people think is interesting and that they are curious about) when I have my tattoos covered up than when I'm in short sleeves. If your tattoos don't deter foes then you're doing it all wrong. Time to toughen up, pals.

If your tattoos don't deter foes then you're doing it all wrong. Time to toughen up, pals.

Agreed..... I often think "what about all these tattoos makes you think we're pals?" did the giant snarling wolf head with a dagger through it scream "let's hug?"

The popularity and normalization of tattoos has really increased the general populations willingness to touch/ask/comment. Before I had any or a lot of work, I would NEVER consider walking up to a heavily tattooed stranger and start acting like an ass. Maybe that was just a general rule growing up in Detroit though....

Teenager conversation at the grocery store...

Teenage Girl Cashier: "Like OMG this lady I know, like, she got a tattoo of a cobra snake ON HER CLEAVAGE. Like, OMG, you could see EVERYTHING. I mean, like, she was wearing clothes but OMG, like you could see her tattoo. Why would you get a tattoo so everyone could see it?"

Teenage Bag Boy/Bro: "Yeah, well I heard you can get a tattoo for $100."

Me: "Try double per hour"

TGC: "Well, like, how long did your tattoo take to finish?"

Me: "12 years so far"

TGC: "Like, OMG that is sooo expensive."

Me: "Would you rather be covered in cheap tattoos or nice tattoos?"

TBBB: "Yeah bro, when I'm gonna get my tattoo, like, it's going to be the most expensive tattoo possible."

agreed. and of the remaining likeable 1/3rd, I don't want to be around them 2/3rds of the time. and that 1/3rd of tolerable time with likeable people usually occurs after consuming 2/3rds of a 6-pack.

I would gladly share any where from 1/3 to 2/3rds of a six pack with you.

• 2 weeks later...

rofl. I love this thread.

You guys have had some horrrrrifying experiences, though. I must just be lucky. Maybe it's because I live in the PNW, where people are either a) pretty laid back and progressive or b) too pass-agg to tell you what they think directly...?

The other week I did have someone grab me without asking to look at my arm. It was a little old Japanese man working at the post office. I went in to buy stamps and reached out to pay him, and he grabbed my wrist and said 'let's see what you've got.' First time for everything, I guess.

Mostly, I just get people telling me they really like my tattoos, and asking me where I got them. Sometimes I get asked if they mean anything. The cutest was this weekend at my family reunion, when my cousin reached out to touch the one on my forearm (second one I got, well healed by now) and then yanked her hand back quickly with big eyes and said, 'Oh sorry, does it hurt?'

She is 30. haha. I told her they all cause me perpetual agony and she hit me with her napkin.

...I wasn't sure how my extended family would react to the tattoos -- they are all Talbots people. Boat shoes and sweaters around the neck. It all went better than expected, though! Most of them were just curious. It was kind of nice.

The other day I went to my favorite Chinese restaurant (I'm kind of a regular, the workers usually make small talk with me). I was wearing a dress, and the lady at the front counter approached me and touched on her arm where my butterfly tattoo is and said "Beautifur! Butterfry?" We had a broken English conversation where she asked where it was done and implied a lot of the tattoos she's seen come into the restaurant are pretty bad. Tattoos transcend all languages. :)