Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

On 12/11/2013 at 2:28 PM, graybones said:

@Synesthesia You reminded me of something I've heard several times from non-tattooed people: That they're going to get a tattoo soon. But first, they're going to put the design they want on the wall where they'll see it everyday for 1 year (it's ALWAYS "1 year") before they get it.

I don't understand. You're gonna make your artist do a sketch then wait a year to tattoo it on you? Or, more likely, you're just printing out whatever from the internet and at the end of a year will be so attached to that exact design you won't let your artist redraw it or change it at all.

Of course, these people never seem to end up getting the tattoo... but they sure do like to talk about it at length at the bar on a Saturday night...

Lol! I actually did this! I didn't actually have a design on my wall or anything though. I decided on a subject matter, style, and placement and gave myself a year. I could tweak the concept, but as long as the core of it stayed the same I would get it. Lots of tweaking happened, but it stayed the same. I made a mistake of choosing a bad artist though (hole in the wall shop but I was dumb and the artist took my deposit and then refused to do a sketch until the week I was coming in so cost wasn't set and he wouldn't give me my deposit back). It took me several years to save up the money to get a good artist to work on me because life kept happening (medical emergencies, emergency vet bill, car problems, my ex running off with my savings...) so I decided to go for a smaller piece on my right leg (9 square inches between ankle and calf). I gave myself a month to really research artists, hammer out a rough design (a broken infinity) to give him an idea of what I wanted for him to refine, get feedback from friends, get aftercare down pat, and save up the last bit of cash I would need for it. My experience was head and shoulders above my last one (thanks in large part to my artist) and I'm more determined than ever to get my full left calf piece of a fairy with butterfly wings and a nature background. Yes there's a lot of symbolism there because that's just who I am, but she's gonna also look awesome. ;)

I'm really enjoying having my first tattoo at 30 and already brainstorming how to incorporate it into an interesting right calf piece (Very rough, but I'm thinking either black work or black and gray to contrast the bright colors that will be on my left calf. I'm currently researching my genealogy and was thinking adding symbols and objects that show were my ancestors came from with maybe a couple symbol from different zodiacs in either neo traditional, new school, geometric, tribal, or an interesting black work). A lot of people are supportive, but some... not so much.

A friend I've had for a long time is probably not my friend anymore. I told him I was getting a tattoo and was cool with it until he found out it was a broken infinity to mark the year I finally came out as an atheist after hiding it all my life (I'm an agnostic de facto atheist, not an anti-theist by the way). He threw a fit saying stuff like "You know it's permanent right?", "What are you gonna do when you get over this phase and come back to God and are stuck with it?", and "Are you a satanist?". Considering he acted the same when I told him I was an atheist, I'm pretty sure I'm stepping back from the friendship.

My dad (who I moved back in with a few months ago after I lost everything) is mad that I wanted a tattoo, that I researched and designed a tattoo, the I went to get a tattoo, that I got the tattoo, that I wanted to show him the tattoo, and that it was "too big for a woman" (3 in x 3 in). He's told me "You had to get the tackiest ugliest thing in the shop didn't you?", "A tattoo that big looks ugly on a woman.", "What are you gonna do when you meet a nice guy and find out he hates tattoos?", "I hope you get an infection and your leg falls off! Would serve you right.", "It was a waste of money and looks like shit.", "You always get obsessed with stupid shit! First it was books, then it was tattoos, and now it's [family history]." (I read all the time, been wanting a tattoo since 13, and found someone who can help me get past where I've been stuck on my genealogy), and "How long do you think it's gonna take for you to regret this?"

I went to the hospital yesterday with a massive asthma attack which scared the nurses and got me a stiff lecture from the ER doctor for waiting so long to come in and for driving myself there (40 minutes). I was wearing short pants, so my ink was showing. Still weak, I ended up having to drive myself home. My dad proceeded to give me an earful for having "that ugly ass thing" out in the open, not doing my housework, and smelling like "stinky feet". So after he went to bed, I went in his bathroom, put my foot in his sink, and washed and moisturized my ink. I had to clean my tattoo anyway and I didn't want to get in the shower. Besides, fuck dad and his tattoo hating ass for making me drive to the ER in the middle of an asthma attack (my meds wouldn't stop it, but he thought I was exaggerating even though I've had it all my life).

After how my dad and my former friend acted, I kinda welcome the "did it hurt" (it varies, but mine wasn't in a painful spot and felt like a knife scraping across the skin without breaking it), "how much did it cost" (it varies but my guy charges $50 for every 30 minutes), "where did you get it" (Kilted Raven. They're really nice.), "how can you tell if a shop is any good" (clean, new needles, premium ink, willing to show both fresh and healed pieces, reviews and pics online, guarantee work as long as you follow instructions...), "how do you take care of it" (aftercare information) questions with gusto. I also had a decently inked young woman start talking tattoos with me at the library soon after I had mine done. She asked if she could touch my fresh tattoo because it was covered in tegaderm and she wanted to know how it felt (I let her). Then asked how it worked and where she could get some for her upcoming tattoo. 

I was even nice to the people that think tattoo shops are dirty, dangerous, or just for bikers and military people. One did test my patience when she went on about how "It's better to get your ears pierced at Walmart jewelry with a nice clean gun (...um) than from a dangerous tattoo parlor piercer. Who knows where that stuff has been!?!" which I think is one if the stupidest things I've ever heard in my life! She wouldn't listen to me about autoclaves, inspections, or internships either. Her mind was set.

Also, as a random note I seen a post on a Facebook group from people who hate tattoos (I was looking for a way to understand my dad) stating that tattooed parents are something like 800% more likely to spend money on a tattoo than food for their children than untattooed parents. Uh... no shit! Of course people with tattoos are more likely to spend money on tattoos than people without them! It's like saying people with dogs are more likely to buy dog food XD

Sorry you are going through all this with your Dad. Unfortunately, many people let their own prejudices, likes and dislikes get in the way of meaningful discussions and relationships.

What I love about what you write is that you are obviously happy and confident with who you are. Lots of people never get to that point. Never lose that. People who are true friends and who love you won't impose their own beliefs on you - they may not agree with you but they accept that you have the same right to your beliefs as they.

As a (as of today) 61 year old, and president of a small college, I get lots of my staff, faculty and students wanting to know if my tattoo is real or not. They want to see it to be convinced. The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. I was at an event last evening out in the community and I had several people asking, again, if I really did it or if it was fake. Too funny. My wife just rolls her eyes and smiles.

3 hours ago, JBluewind said:

A friend I've had for a long time is probably not my friend anymore. I told him I was getting a tattoo and was cool with it until he found out it was a broken infinity to mark the year I finally came out as an atheist after hiding it all my life (I'm an agnostic de facto atheist, not an anti-theist by the way). He threw a fit saying stuff like "You know it's permanent right?", "What are you gonna do when you get over this phase and come back to God and are stuck with it?", and "Are you a satanist?". Considering he acted the same when I told him I was an atheist, I'm pretty sure I'm stepping back from the friendship.

My dad (who I moved back in with a few months ago after I lost everything) is mad that I wanted a tattoo, that I researched and designed a tattoo, the I went to get a tattoo, that I got the tattoo, that I wanted to show him the tattoo, and that it was "too big for a woman" (3 in x 3 in). He's told me "You had to get the tackiest ugliest thing in the shop didn't you?", "A tattoo that big looks ugly on a woman.", "What are you gonna do when you meet a nice guy and find out he hates tattoos?", "I hope you get an infection and your leg falls off! Would serve you right.", "It was a waste of money and looks like shit.", "You always get obsessed with stupid shit! First it was books, then it was tattoos, and now it's [family history]." (I read all the time, been wanting a tattoo since 13, and found someone who can help me get past where I've been stuck on my genealogy), and "How long do you think it's gonna take for you to regret this?"

I went to the hospital yesterday with a massive asthma attack which scared the nurses and got me a stiff lecture from the ER doctor for waiting so long to come in and for driving myself there (40 minutes). I was wearing short pants, so my ink was showing. Still weak, I ended up having to drive myself home. My dad proceeded to give me an earful for having "that ugly ass thing" out in the open, not doing my housework, and smelling like "stinky feet". So after he went to bed, I went in his bathroom, put my foot in his sink, and washed and moisturized my ink. I had to clean my tattoo anyway and I didn't want to get in the shower. Besides, fuck dad and his tattoo hating ass for making me drive to the ER in the middle of an asthma attack (my meds wouldn't stop it, but he thought I was exaggerating even though I've had it all my life).

Don't let the idiots get you down. It's YOUR life and you're living it on your terms!

@Devious6

Daw. That's so sweet of you to say! It really made me smile ^_^

I would have drove you bonkers if I went to your school. I always had five billion questions, always wanted to learn everything about everything (which is why they quit using me for the curve in some classes), and always a jabber box. Come to think of it, I haven't changed at all XD

I was going for Occupational Therapy, but then I got sick. I ended up disabled (severe Hemiplegic Migraines) and was forced to drop out of school. I still miss it sometimes. :)

@donbcivil

I'm trying my best to. I think dad thinks because I'm staying at his home he gets to make the rules and I have to follow them. I might be more inclined to listen if I wasn't a decade out of my teens and paying for half the bills. He actually told me today he was close to throwing me out because my room was a mess. No shit sherlock! I just got out of the ER a couple days ago and have been struggling to breathe for a week. Of course my floor is gonna be cluttered and my sheets overdue for their weekly change. Does he seriously expect me to clean and dust when my lungs currently can't even handle light shower steam and I got winded trying to change his sheets? XD

Seriously though, dad is a pretty good guy, but if I get sick or he's in a mood, it's like living with an angry grizzly bear.

@rufio

Well why don't you? Aren't they all the same? ;)

Seriously though, if you have the means then what's the big deal? As long as you're being financially responsible and using your luxury fund to get inked (as opposed money needed for necessities, insurance, retirement, and the like) I don't see the harm. You have to understand that most people don't know the difference in tattoo quality. All they see is bad scratcher stuff or doctored (or simply fresh) photos. When they see a real tattoo that has had enough time to loose it's fresh brightness (and maybe get a little dry), they think it must be the same quality work as the average artist they've seen, so why not go local and save the trouble?

I could never afford a choice artist or the travel necessary, but at least I drove out of my tiny town to a real shop with a nice artist who does good line work. Several years ago when I was just looking for artists, I had an acquaintance (guy, mid 20s) try to get me to go to his guy in town who has started on a sleeve for him. The artist apparently nearly won a contest at a convention, only used the best inks, had a little shop, and charged nearly half the price of the shops in bigger towns because rent was less. He had gotten the full outline and some if the shading done over two or three sessions. Oh my god! It was so jacked. It was black work flames in kind of a tribal style if I had to guess, but it could have been torn fabric or something. I didn't know much about the art form at the time, but a blind man could see it was bad. I don't believe there was a line one on the whole thing that didn't have a shaky look to it. The filled in portion, while completely filled in, weren't all uniformly shaded and the shading didn't really blend in with the line work to where you didn't notice the original lines. I did not go to his guy. Sometimes I think back and wonder if he regrets it and got it reworked by a real artist or if he still thinks it's awesome.

@JBluewind hahah true. Yah i am from the Yolo generation (you only live once). Young people getting tattoos because they think its cool (it is cool but only if its good work). They just dont know it and getting some ugly ass tattoo. Later on they realise they do live longer than they expected and regret the shit out of it. Atleast the laser industry is going well i guess. 

If i havent traveled for my tattoo, i (prob) wouldnt gain a new friend, eat new stuff i havent ate before (greek food is delicious). Saw new things etc etc.

Its really worth it to travel for your tattoo. Its not just the tattoo, its the whole experiance youre getting.

I travelled the world for 26 years before retiring from the Army. Now I'm content to stay local and work with the artist I've found here that I like and trust. But, who knows? Maybe the Fates will tempt me at some point? At least I have fewer years left for any possible regrets!!!

@rufio 

Lol! I find it adorable that you think I don't know what yolo means. I'm getting old people! XD

Tattoos are art that you can never throw away that exist on a ever changing canvas of limited space. If I'm getting a tattoo, I'm at least going to get a decent one I won't hate in 10 years. That's why I'm picking things that aren't trends or could be a phase for me. I have the major details of my left calf piece all planned out. I have a rough idea for my right, but not sure about starting a new thread for it since it will probably be a couple years until I can do it (gotta save up and do my left calf first).

I would love to travel. My county is huge and all (US), but I've hardly been out of my home state and I've always wanted to see Italy. It's more of a cost thing with me than anything.

@Devious6

Lol! You never know. You could live to 114! Plenty of time left to do all the wonderful regrettable things ;)

What part of the army were you in?

My papaw survived WWII after his entire platoon was killed off save himself and one other guy who shared the same foxhole. They survived off coconuts and bamboo sprouts for several months until rescue. He somehow survived all of it.

His brother (my great uncle) lied about his age and went in the Navy at 15. He was in about 6 years and became a frog man specializing in underwater explosives and underwater welding. He got a tattoo on his right arm before he was old enough to vote. It was never touched up, so it was extremely faded, blurry, and green when he passed away a few years ago (he was in his 80s or 90s), but I still liked it.

My dad was a cook in Vietnam. He has funny stories about not taking shit off anyone in his kitchen (including those who were much higher up than him outside it). He had at least 2 recipes put in the army cookbook. He still over estimates how much to cook so there are always leftovers. The place he was wasn't safe. He usually went to sleep to the sound of mortar fire. He had to go out in a helicopter to active battle zones once a week to take food to the men on the ground. Even the cook wasn't exempt from active combat back then.

I ran into my sister's sister the other day. I showed her my new tattoo and got the standard "Be careful. They're addictive!" line. She has 3 tattoos and went right into how much she hated the one on her wrist. I asked her if she had looked into getting a cover up. She said no way in hell because she had a cover up on her other piece (it was on her back so I couldn't see it) and it hurt 50 times worse than it did the first time! A quick glance at her two visible pieces and I realized she had scratcher work. I'm not sure if her original piece left a nasty scar underneath her ink, if the person who did the cover up was just terrible with a needle, or what happened, but that crap isn't normal.

At the gym getting ready after my workout. I'm putting on my makeup in my jeans and bra. This lady rolls in with her 6 year old daughter. This little girl looks at my tattoos and says directly to me "Mommy says tattoos are stupid and so are the people who get them."

I gently kneel in front of her and say "Your Mommy is closed minded and judgmental. You should always try to be kind to people and not jump to conclusions about people you don't know." Lady is horrified. Grabs child and leaves. Kid loved it..she smiled and waved goodbye to me.

I had a weird interaction last night.  I was parking my car on the street and found a pretty tight spot between a car and a no parking area that I just managed to fit in.  Some neighborhood guy was watching me park to make sure I wasn't in the no parking area because my neighborhood is full of people who sit on their stoops or hang out on the sidewalks making comments.  Anyway, I parked, and the guy was eyeing my parking job and giving me running commentary about how it was okay.  Then I got out of the car, the guy saw me, looked a bit surprised, and said "you're tattooed, it's good" in the kind of tone like don't fuck with people with tattoos if you know what's good for you.

That seemed super weird to me.  Where I live I'd say more people have tattoos than don't and it's the sort of place where you see face tattoos daily, so any kind of comments about tattoos are rare, and especially the kind that I got last night.  Probably the guy was just a weirdo though.

One of the wildest parties I have been to in the last few years was a 50th. And some of the "oldest" people I know (by that I mean only want to talk about mortgages, never want to do anything but watch tv at home)  are mid 20s. I'm 28 but I'm gonna be young at heart for a while yet!

I'm now at the point in my life where I can really enjoy things - I don't have the pressures of young children, planning for retirement, having to work to pay off college loans, etc. I work now because I love what I'm doing. We crew for a hot air balloon company because we love being outside with the people, getting the exercise, and getting to fly from time to time (although the day we lifted off with the temperature at -14F was a bit of a shock). Even getting my first tattoo came as I looked at my bucket list and realized this was something I have wanted to do for years and now I can - and what others think and say have no impact on me at this point in my life and career(s). Age IS just a number in many respects.

A few that I've dealt with:

1) "Does it hurt?" Not as much as when I watched friends bored in the shop tattoo each other's toes.

2) People poking my tattoos.  Seriously, fucking stop.  I just met you and I'm not poking you.  Don't poke me.  Usually, I just poke them back in the same place. It gets weird. 

3) "What does your mother think?" She loves them and thinks I'm wonderful.

4) "What about when you get old?" I'll be more badass looking than you with the rest of the badasses in the old folks home.

5) "You can't get a good job with that" I'm a web developer (and decently well known in my niche).  Nobody gives a shit what I look like, and most never see me.  They also make these shirts with sleeves that go to your wrist.  They're called long sleeved shirts.  Pretty cool, eh?

Just to name a few.  I'm sure many of you get the same.  Also, the strange looks when you do general things like hold the door open for people; like tattoos immediately mean I'm an asshole.

Edited by JeffMatson

On May 8, 2016 at 3:41 AM, JeffMatson said:

5) "You can't get a good job with that" I'm a web developer (and decently well known in my niche).  Nobody gives a shit what I look like, and most never see me.  They also make these shirts with sleeves that go to your wrist.  They're called long sleeved shirts.  Pretty cool, eh?

I'm an IT manager with long hair and tattoos. I usually wear jeans and T-shirts, unless I'm meeting with the client. It's funny to meet sales people who think I must be some kind of minimum wage lowlife and then watch their whole attitude change when they run my credit report and find out how much I make.

There was so many physical and other changes that I thought would happen when I turned 30, but nothing changed save one big thing. I quit giving a fuck what other people thought ;)

Yesterday I had a a fun conversation with a neighbor. She came by to visit and I happen to be wearing capri pants. She said she "disapproved" of people who "mark up their bodies" and that it was "un-christian". I resisted the urge to tell her it was an atheist tattoo and calling me un-christian was kinda a compliment. XD

1 hour ago, JBluewind said:

There was so many physical and other changes that I thought would happen when I turned 30, but nothing changed save one big thing. I quit giving a fuck what other people thought ;)

Yesterday I had a a fun conversation with a neighbor. She came by to visit and I happen to be wearing capri pants. She said she "disapproved" of people who "mark up their bodies" and that it was "un-christian". I resisted the urge to tell her it was an atheist tattoo and calling me un-christian was kinda a compliment. XD

you should have throat chopped her

Edited by Dan