Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

Things people say to us about our tattoos have been mentioned in many threads, but I thought it might be fun to read quick snippets of what people say all in one place. We were just on a 2 week trip visiting family in MA & CT. We swung by Custom Cobra while in MA, nice shop but we didn't get any tattoos. Here are a couple one liners from the trip:

MIL to hubby, "You're thinking of getting another one?"

That struck me as funny because of the word one.

FIL to hubby during same conversation, "You know what they say...sometimes less is more!"

My friend's little 5-year-old son saw my arm and was impressed with the tiger (his favorite animal) but still said, "You're gonna be sorry." My friend told me he got that from his uncle. I set him straight.

Friend of my husband's family saw my sleeve and asked, "Is that a real tattoo?"

None of the comments were mean-spirited and I'm not easily offended, they were just kind of funny to me.

Great idea for a thread!

I'm sure I'll think of many things to add to this thread but the first one that comes to mind is how this plainskinned girl at work was asking about my tattoos and she was super complimentary about them, really appreciated that they're nice, well made tattoos and then she commented that I clearly cared a lot about my tattoos "unlike those other people who get them on dares". Other than the fact that it seems most people who have a tattoo or two put way too much thought and meaning into their tattoos, I am kind of offended by the comment because I would get a tattoo on a dare.

"Do your sleeves keep your arms warm?"

"Are they done with ink?"

"How long do they last?"

And the only one that annoyed me

"Why are you covered in tattoos if you can't change them?" (after I told this guy, who was looking to get tattooed, that you can't just remove them and replace them with a different design if you change your mind for any reason)

My father, who has no tattoos and is Catholic, asked me what would happen if I met the perfect man but he hated my tattoos... My response :"If he is the perfect man, then he'd love my tattoos."

He also used to teach me as a kid that tattoos will make you go to hell, but has since reversed his opinion on that.

im going to be the grumpy old curmudgeon who offers nothing to the thread on topic save for mentioning my absolute hatred of the term plainskin. My friend Shannon tried to start that as a phrase years ago, not sure if this is the ripple from that, but its like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Sorry for interrupting.

im going to be the grumpy old curmudgeon who offers nothing to the thread on topic save for mentioning my absolute hatred of the term plainskin. My friend Shannon tried to start that as a phrase years ago, not sure if this is the ripple from that, but its like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

Sorry for interrupting.

Agreed...from another old school type

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

sorry @ShawnPorter, it cracks me up. I learned it here, along with squidpants, though I've never used that one in a sentence until just now. I find it to be a pretty good quick way to describe a non-tattooed person. It is impossible to please everyone w/our word choices. I get it, there are plenty of words that annoy me, too.

Sorry for interrupting.

I knew I heard it somewhere else. It was mentioned on BME awhile ago right?

I get a lot of "I never would've guessed you have tattoos!" often followed by something along the lines of "but you look so nice!!"

I had a similar experience where I answered the door wearing a dress and my neighbor was like "I never thought a conservative woman like yourself would have tattoos." I responded with "what makes you think I'm conservative? And why can't classy ladies get tattooed?" He has a hard time answering considering you shouldn't judge people after only talking to them once or twice!

I had a similar experience where I answered the door wearing a dress and my neighbor was like "I never thought a conservative woman like yourself would have tattoos." I responded with "what makes you think I'm conservative? And why can't classy ladies get tattooed?" He has a hard time answering considering you shouldn't judge people after only talking to them once or twice!

I would have told him, yeah, my cellmate said the same thing.