Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

I read an article in I cant remember what magazine many years ago that pointed out that almost every question we get asked about our tattoos can also be directed towards a new teen mother

example:

"did that hurt?"

"what do your parents think about that?"

" you know you're stuck with that for ever, right?"

"i cant believe you'd do that to your body?"

"why would you do something so irresponsible?"

etc., etc.

I read an article in I cant remember what magazine many years ago that pointed out that almost every question we get asked about our tattoos can also be directed towards a new teen mother

example:

"did that hurt?"

"what do your parents think about that?"

" you know you're stuck with that for ever, right?"

"i cant believe you'd do that to your body?"

"why would you do something so irresponsible?"

etc., etc.

Haha. "What are you gonna think about that kid when you're 80?"

I just tell a different story most of the time, but my favorite is:

-Oh you know, I love beef and onions pie. So this one stands for beef, and this one onion. Now I'll remember that I love it for ever!

Ha! I knew a guy who - during the heigh of the Kanji craze - decided he wanted some, so he brought in the menu from Lee's Chinese and got "paper wrapped chicken" on his wrist.

This topic has been a great morning read. Many of you are responsible for my shrieks of laughter in an otherwise quiet office!

Having recently got my first tattoo, stupid questions have been kept to a minimum (as it’s not on show often and I don’t go shouting at people that I just got tattooed). My mom however is continuously disapproving and I often get ‘what will you do when you’re older?’ to which I answer ‘Don’t know, probably just wash it off’ to which I get a rather quizzical frown or puzzled look. I just like messing with her!

Will

My newest tattoo is just visible in short sleeves, this guy at work came up yesterday and went "ah *nod at tattoo* I was thinking of one for myself a few years ago, I went THE OTHER way though - abseiling".

He said it so conclusively I'm wondering how fine a line I walk betwix getting tattoos on my skin and abseiling down walls.

Other than that, nothing but curious peeping and lovely comments!

It's interesting to see how many parents take a negative view - in my case, my mum seems to take them in and appreciate that they've added to her creation.

• 2 weeks later...

How about, "I really wanna open a tattoo shop. Well, after I learn how to tattoo."

There was a whole conversation that followed in which the person I was talking to was offended when I suggested that she spend some time and money actually getting tattoos first.

You're right. You have two 3" tattoos you got a few months ago and even though I started getting tattoos when you were 10 years old, I am really disrespectful and most likely have no idea what I'm even talking about. Giving. the fuck. up. trying to be helpful.

From the older people in town who know what I looked like when I was a kid:You were such a pretty girl, why did you have to ruin yourself like that?

Personally, I think I'm pretty freakin hot now, where as I had very low self esteem prior...

My mom: You need to think about how your appearance is affecting your child.

Ummm, I'm on the school PTO, involved with her girl scout troop, and she has tons of friends...so tell me again how I'm ruining her life??

My dad (trying to make me promise not to ever get tattoos): That dragon you thought was cool when you were a teenager won't be so cool to you when you're grown...

I'll give you that one Pops! My 15 year old dragon tattoo really isn't as cool to me now, lol

My mother, who believes I only have one tattoo from undergrad, was openly rude to a young girl at a book store, asked her how she intended to get a real job, this store would be gone in five years, etc. I said nothing at the moment, but when we got in the car, I went in, apologized, told her my career and showed her my tattoos under the guise of getting something from the bookstore bakery. I hadn't eaten in 24+ hours which is common with my shift/food choices.

When I went to the next store,l with her, some girl had a sparrow on her arm. And Mom just has to look at her and say, "Jesus Christ! Isn't that cute?" At this point, I lose my temper and say, "You were Queen Mormon until one of your kids comes out as gay. You said yourself.times are changing. Maybe you need to change on this, too."

Then I had to hear how I act like a ten year old. Yeah. I'm the one pointing and going, "Ewww, gross!" and I'm immature. Okay.

it baffles me how some "plainskins" can walk in and start saying stuff like "i dont get how people can cover themselves with tattoos, mine are small and sweet and easily hide-able...(insert other slightly insulting, down-talk)" to a shop full of heavily tattoo'd guys!? you know what i mean?? i dont particularly enjoy football (soccer) but i do own a football and i do watch it now and then, but i'd never dream of walking into a sport shop or club-store and be like "i don't get people who watch football all the time its so stupid, i prefer to play it with my friends...." that kind of opinion is fine outside but to come in and say it is just dumb, naive and ignorant...but i guess thats just the way people are

I love the comments ("you tatt really well!" What ?) , its the poking and prodding im not cool with, just cos I have a couple of tattoos doesnt mean you can touch them for fuxake.

I'm fairly new to having tattoo's but having been getting this a lot recently, I'm also from Glasgow and as you know nobody does drunk arseholes like Glasgow and just the other week I had some drunk at a bus stop grabbing my arms asking where and why I got my Tattoo's - what made things worse is he was grabbing at one that was still healing. Saying that a similar thing happened with a smoking hot girl at a Nightclub a few weeks ago and for some reason I didn't mind as much!

I'm fairly new to having tattoo's but having been getting this a lot recently, I'm also from Glasgow and as you know nobody does drunk arseholes like Glasgow and just the other week I had some drunk at a bus stop grabbing my arms asking where and why I got my Tattoo's - what made things worse is he was grabbing at one that was still healing. Saying that a similar thing happened with a smoking hot girl at a Nightclub a few weeks ago and for some reason I didn't mind as much!

It seems that there's a tattoo shop on every corner in Glasgow now and only really 4 shops worth going to. Doesn't matter how many times you tell people about the good ones they always end up in some shite hole scratcher shop in possil or something. Had a wee look at your profile , how did you get on at irezumi ?

It seems that there's a tattoo shop on every corner in Glasgow now and only really 4 shops worth going to. Doesn't matter how many times you tell people about the good ones they always end up in some shite hole scratcher shop in possil or something. Had a wee look at your profile , how did you get on at irezumi ?

I just noticed a new one opening up in Oswald Street, but yeah only a handful worth going to. Tried to convince a few of my mates to save their cash and invest in a quality Tattoo but they never seem to listen. Yeah went well was over the moon with the Tattoo Steven done, going back for a Lady Head at the beginning of next month although I'll need eventually get something Japanese from him. The dragon sleeve he did on you is a belter.

The only time it really bothers me when people talk shit about tattoos/people's tattoos is the situations when I can't say anything back. This really only happens around coworkers. My favorite being "that poor shmuck will never have a job as good as ours with all that shit drawn on him". I thought to myself, if only they knew...

The "never get a job" comments seemed to be the ones that bother me the most, whether directed at me or not. My career is practically my life and to say such things is such a stupid comment that is very ill-informed. This being backed up by the fact that one of the most successful people I know regularly gets tattooed at the same shop as me. I think this misconception will continue as use "closet tattooed folk" never really show any tattoos around coworkers/bosses so the myth will continue.

My boyfriend hates my interest in tattoos and once volunteered to get some tattoos on himself so I wouldn't have to get any more on me. He seems to think I just like looking at them on someone, anyone, not even necessarily myself. I told him I would be thrilled if he got some, but it won't make any difference as far as what I get. :D

it baffles me how some "plainskins" can walk in and start saying stuff like "i dont get how people can cover themselves with tattoos, mine are small and sweet and easily hide-able...(insert other slightly insulting, down-talk)" to a shop full of heavily tattoo'd guys!? you know what i mean?? i dont particularly enjoy football (soccer) but i do own a football and i do watch it now and then, but i'd never dream of walking into a sport shop or club-store and be like "i don't get people who watch football all the time its so stupid, i prefer to play it with my friends...." that kind of opinion is fine outside but to come in and say it is just dumb, naive and ignorant...but i guess thats just the way people are

This attitude baffles me as well. (Some of these folks try to pull me in their realm.... I have considerable pieces, but they're hidden.) If I had chosen a different career path (and I wouldn't, for anything), I'd get sleeves. I'd get leg and foot tattoos. And God bless anyone who has the sense of self and self-esteem to say, "This is what I want for my body. Don't look if you don't like it."

My boyfriend hates my interest in tattoos and once volunteered to get some tattoos on himself so I wouldn't have to get any more on me. He seems to think I just like looking at them on someone, anyone, not even necessarily myself. I told him I would be thrilled if he got some, but it won't make any difference as far as what I get. :D

Take it from an old salt: This is an insult on your body. RUN! This is like a boyfriend that tells you you're too fat, thin, breasts are too small, that YOU are not good enough, and that YOU need to conform to his standards.

Let's rephrase this: "You're getting kind of fat. Would you stop eating so much if I put on a few?" See the change in language? Reconsider if this guy is a real champ.