Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

This is going to sound snobbish but does anyone else have a really difficult time having an enjoyable conversation about tattoos with a non-tattooed person? It seems like they always push the conversation towards: laser removal, their super meaningful/personal tattoo design idea and the long story behind it, reality tv, infection/disease, or other similar non-sense.

I just respond "It's an overworked/underpaid thing, you wouldn't understand."

And, as Eddie Murphy would say, "No baby, that's just jokes."

OH and another thing, not always from people with no tattoos but more of than not only 1 or 2 at work when I ask what they are looking to have tattooed often they tell me then ask if I want to know the story / reason behind it...9 times out of 10. No i don't.

This is going to sound snobbish but does anyone else have a really difficult time having an enjoyable conversation about tattoos with a non-tattooed person? It seems like they always push the conversation towards: laser removal, their super meaningful/personal tattoo design idea and the long story behind it, reality tv, infection/disease, or other similar non-sense.

Every time tattoos come up at work, my co-workers start talking about getting tattoos from their friends at their houses. And inevitably, it ends with them saying how they don't like their tattoos. Yet they continue to do it, thinking they're miraculously going to get decent tattoos. It's exhausting to even listen to.

• 2 weeks later...

Good one while tattooing a girl's arm today, from one of her friends. "I mean, I know you have to have a steady hand, but tattooing doesn't look that hard."

Told him it was the hardest thing I've ever done, with each day being both easier and harder than the day before, a really quick list of about twenty things you have to think about the whole time, and ended it after 10 seconds of awkward silence with "If tattooing were easy, there wouldn't be so many bad tattoos out there," followed by a laugh to make it obvious I wasn't mad at him or anything. He just didn't know.

Still... wow.

Good one while tattooing a girl's arm today, from one of her friends. "I mean, I know you have to have a steady hand, but tattooing doesn't look that hard."

Told him it was the hardest thing I've ever done, with each day being both easier and harder than the day before, a really quick list of about twenty things you have to think about the whole time, and ended it after 10 seconds of awkward silence with "If tattooing were easy, there wouldn't be so many bad tattoos out there," followed by a laugh to make it obvious I wasn't mad at him or anything. He just didn't know.

Still... wow.

What are those 20 things out of curiosity?

Twenty might be slight hyperbole. But, a list of some pertinent things related to the craft side of tattooing that you need to be aware of. Mind you, I did nothing to clarify the correct answers to what they are, just told him of things that you have to think about to make it obvious that it's not as easy as tracing on a lightbox.

Twenty might be slight hyperbole. But, a list of some pertinent things related to the craft side of tattooing that you need to be aware of. Mind you, I did nothing to clarify the correct answers to what they are, just told him of things that you have to think about to make it obvious that it's not as easy as tracing on a lightbox.
I'm just curious what the craft side of tattooing is, but there seems to be a lot of secrecy around that subject.

I'm just curious what the craft side of tattooing is, but there seems to be a lot of secrecy around that subject.

The prevailing opinion, which is correct in my view, is that said knowledge must be earned the hard way. I know I appreciate what little I do know and thirst to know more because that info wasn't just given to me.

OH and another thing, not always from people with no tattoos but more of than not only 1 or 2 at work when I ask what they are looking to have tattooed often they tell me then ask if I want to know the story / reason behind it...9 times out of 10. No i don't.

a guy at work dosnt like my tattoos because they have no meaning then i got a rose of nomansland and because my gran was a nurse in ww2 told him thats why i got it (even though i would have got it anyway) and all of a sudden he thinks its great,

another time the same guy was slagging off my tattoos for having no meaning so i apologised for not pretending my life was a episode of miami ink

a guy at work dosnt like my tattoos because they have no meaning then i got a rose of nomansland and because my gran was a nurse in ww2 told him thats why i got it (even though i would have got it anyway) and all of a sudden he thinks its great,

another time the same guy was slagging off my tattoos for having no meaning so i apologised for not pretending my life was a episode of miami ink

Ya dun good, kid.

I showed my friend a photo of my tattoo and asked him if I should get it. I didn't tell him I already got it because I wanted his honest opinion. He said I shouldn't get it and told me "a girl with a nine tailed fox tattoo is like a guy with an Iron Maiden tattoo." I have no idea what that means. As an example he linked to this. :confused:

Then when I told him I already got the tattoo and showed him my leg, he laughed and said I'm a member of the Yakuza now.

I'm just grateful he is making dumb jokes rather than telling me it will look bad when I'm 60 or whatever.

A lot of trades have secrecy surrounding them. I broke into learning machining and the old timers (mostly from Europe) refused to show you anything, they would even cover up things that were working on if I walked up to them. Once they knew I was okay it changed.

Tattoo artists have to protect what they have worked hard to learn. And it keeps the gene pool strong.

- - - Updated - - -

@Zillah

LOL nice

I have a snake/ankh combo and people so far have always associated with evil, which is far from what it means, at least to me

but it's art so to each his own, it's up to their interpretation. I like to hear what they think it means before telling them

Apparently an inverted ankh is a symbol of Nyarlahotep from the Cthulhu mythos.

Pahahahahahahaha, just found this on t'internet. Troll? Or do you think there are people who really feel like this?

Has anyone been to frith street tattoo in soho?

what was your experience like? what artist did you have and when did you go? all answers will be really helpful. thanks

Best AnswerVoter's Choice

Truth answered

no, I have never been there, and I would never go. All tattoos are ugly and repulsive--they are desecrating the living bodies of human beings. Your body is not a canvas for so-called art--it is the living shell that your spirit resides in. It is to be protected and cared for, not abused by the filthy hands of the tattoo predator injecting ink into your skin. Here is why you should avoid tattoos like the plague they are:

1) Tattoos are an urban blight. They offend most people who see them. They are ugly, like graffiti. Like graffiti, they lower the quality of the environment. Tattoos lower the quality of life, for everyone who has to see their ugliness.

2) The whole concept of tattooing is wrong--the way these hideous cartoons are inked into the flesh of people through bloodletting and pain, possibly resulting in infection and disease--if they are "art", they are a dark and evil “art”.

3) Tattoos are closely linked to other forms of self harm, like cutting, piercing, drug use, incarceration, etc.; they are hand-in-glove with these destructive behaviors.

4) Evil people encourage our vulnerable children to get tattooed so they can make money off of them. They do not care that they are causing harm. And yet, these evil ones, these tattoo predators, with their cruel eyes and dark hearts, are even admired by their deceived victims. What a sick world we are in!

5) Young people are fooled into wanting tattoos by degenerate Hollywood and their degraded “movie stars” and musicians, and promoted by the prostitute mass media. Our deceived children think tattoos are cool and cutting edge, but over time, they wind up hating their tattoos. Far worse, they wind up hating themselves.

6) Weak parents and older people abandon their duties to lead their young even though they know better. They are so afraid of being disliked, so desperate to be “liked” that they say nothing against tattoo. Worse, some completely abandon their responsibility to provide sound guidance and even encourage the young ones to get tattooed.

7) How it hurts so see the deceived young one so angrily defensive about what will ruin and hurt them--their right to get tattooed.

8) The Lord of Hosts, creator of mankind, clearly commands against them. "Do not cut your bodies… or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” Leviticus 19:28

9) As far as tattoos being “art”, that is garbage. A tattoo is NOT "a work of art". The human body is not a canvas and the abusers and mutilators who desecrate it are not artists. Most of their so called "art" is little better than comic book drawings.

Young people, express yourself with your words and actions, not by inking graffiti onto your living flesh. Avoid this disastrous mistake that will damage your spirit and ruin your life. Like drinking, and taking drugs, and practicing self harm, getting tattooed will ruin you, not right away, but over time. There are many predators and enablers here, who encourage young people to abandon decency and live self indulgent and destructive lives. Know there is no such thing as a tattoo "artist"--there are only tattoo predators who seek to hurt you and take your money. The tattoo industry is full of abuse and negligence. Tattoo removal is a growth industry. Tattoo lawsuits are soaring due to the harm caused by the tattoo predators who abuse the young people who mistakenly trust them. If you were tattooed as a minor or while intoxicated, take the tattoo parlor and the tattoo predator who ruined your body to court. Make them pay for what they have done to you. God bless you. Young people-- stay in school, do your best there, avoid drinking, drugs, tattoos and piercings, and avoid those who have them. Go to college, study science, mathematics, or business, and avoid liberal arts, unless you are wealthy and do not have to support yourself and your family.

Still... wow.

Heh heh...maybe you gotta take that one as a compliment? You know what they say, if someone is really good at what they do, they make the very difficult look effortless! If that guy saw me tattooing, he would probably be saying "that looks really hard!" Wish I could be one of those "cool as a cucumber while doing an extremely challenging piece" guys but the effort and concentration required is very apparent when watching me work!

Pahahahahahahaha, just found this on t'internet. Troll? Or do you think there are people who really feel like this?

Has anyone been to frith street tattoo in soho?

what was your experience like? what artist did you have and when did you go? all answers will be really helpful. thanks

Best AnswerVoter's Choice

Truth answered

no, I have never been there, and I would never go. All tattoos are ugly and repulsive--they are desecrating the living bodies of human beings. Your body is not a canvas for so-called art--it is the living shell that your spirit resides in. It is to be protected and cared for, not abused by the filthy hands of the tattoo predator injecting ink into your skin. Here is why you should avoid tattoos like the plague they are:

1) Tattoos are an urban blight. They offend most people who see them. They are ugly, like graffiti. Like graffiti, they lower the quality of the environment. Tattoos lower the quality of life, for everyone who has to see their ugliness.

2) The whole concept of tattooing is wrong--the way these hideous cartoons are inked into the flesh of people through bloodletting and pain, possibly resulting in infection and disease--if they are "art", they are a dark and evil “art”.

3) Tattoos are closely linked to other forms of self harm, like cutting, piercing, drug use, incarceration, etc.; they are hand-in-glove with these destructive behaviors.

4) Evil people encourage our vulnerable children to get tattooed so they can make money off of them. They do not care that they are causing harm. And yet, these evil ones, these tattoo predators, with their cruel eyes and dark hearts, are even admired by their deceived victims. What a sick world we are in!

5) Young people are fooled into wanting tattoos by degenerate Hollywood and their degraded “movie stars” and musicians, and promoted by the prostitute mass media. Our deceived children think tattoos are cool and cutting edge, but over time, they wind up hating their tattoos. Far worse, they wind up hating themselves.

6) Weak parents and older people abandon their duties to lead their young even though they know better. They are so afraid of being disliked, so desperate to be “liked” that they say nothing against tattoo. Worse, some completely abandon their responsibility to provide sound guidance and even encourage the young ones to get tattooed.

7) How it hurts so see the deceived young one so angrily defensive about what will ruin and hurt them--their right to get tattooed.

8) The Lord of Hosts, creator of mankind, clearly commands against them. "Do not cut your bodies… or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD” Leviticus 19:28

9) As far as tattoos being “art”, that is garbage. A tattoo is NOT "a work of art". The human body is not a canvas and the abusers and mutilators who desecrate it are not artists. Most of their so called "art" is little better than comic book drawings.

Young people, express yourself with your words and actions, not by inking graffiti onto your living flesh. Avoid this disastrous mistake that will damage your spirit and ruin your life. Like drinking, and taking drugs, and practicing self harm, getting tattooed will ruin you, not right away, but over time. There are many predators and enablers here, who encourage young people to abandon decency and live self indulgent and destructive lives. Know there is no such thing as a tattoo "artist"--there are only tattoo predators who seek to hurt you and take your money. The tattoo industry is full of abuse and negligence. Tattoo removal is a growth industry. Tattoo lawsuits are soaring due to the harm caused by the tattoo predators who abuse the young people who mistakenly trust them. If you were tattooed as a minor or while intoxicated, take the tattoo parlor and the tattoo predator who ruined your body to court. Make them pay for what they have done to you. God bless you. Young people-- stay in school, do your best there, avoid drinking, drugs, tattoos and piercings, and avoid those who have them. Go to college, study science, mathematics, or business, and avoid liberal arts, unless you are wealthy and do not have to support yourself and your family.

1, other forms of self-harm including incarceration? I mean yeah, incarceration isn't fun but it's not something most people do to themselves on purpose to hurt themselves or others. 2, I'm a christian and I have tattoos, including a grim reaper. I'm not one of the ones who shove it down people's throats and I don't judge anyone for how they believe or don't believe. But just...wow. I'm as offended as anyone else with tattoos would be, maybe more. I can't believe the person said they are little better than comic book drawings. I'm astounded in this day and age that someone could still have such a primitive ideology about tattoos. It's sad that people can still be so prejudiced and close minded about something as mainstream as tattooing.