Plainskins say the darndest things...

TrixieFaux

I'm just curious what the craft side of tattooing is, but there seems to be a lot of secrecy around that subject.

might not be all secrecy at all. try describing the process of creativity in relation to any craft. :p

Creativity only goes as far as what you can make work in the skin, which is all craft. AKA- creativity means nothing without a foundation, which is what is protected in tattooing. I usually try to think of all of the art side ending on paper, while trying to think of actually tattoo as craft. There are parallels and connections between both mindsets, of course, but it helps my mindset in both to think that way.

Another silly statement, when explaining how to improve a design recently... upon explaining why something being too small would cause issues down the line as it aged in the skin, I was told by the client "Well, it doesn't have to be good or anything..." I was flabbergasted.

Karma is a bitch - bad things happening to bad people.

I don't even think you can say something out loud regarding someone's tattoos at work. At least not something derogatory. We had someone in supervision say something to a tattooed contract worker we had working with us about his ink. The guy says nothing, but filed a complaint through his agency and the supervisor wound up with a reaming.

At my bar last night, a 40-something woman asks me "How come your tattoos can stay so colorful and the lines stay so sharp? My husbands faded after just a few months!" I asked where he got it and found my answer right away "Oh, his friend does tattoos out of his van. If you ever want more work..." I interrupted her and told her I had to change a keg. Mid shift. Just to avoid her stupidity.

At my bar last night, a 40-something woman asks me "How come your tattoos can stay so colorful and the lines stay so sharp? My husbands faded after just a few months!" I asked where he got it and found my answer right away "Oh, his friend does tattoos out of his van. If you ever want more work..." I interrupted her and told her I had to change a keg. Mid shift. Just to avoid her stupidity.

Was she really so stupid? She'd noticed you had better tattoos than her husband, and she took steps to find out why...

Maybe it was more like her husband who was the one lacking in the smarts?

Was she really so stupid? She'd noticed you had better tattoos than her husband, and she took steps to find out why...

Maybe it was more like her husband who was the one lacking in the smarts?

She obviously didn't get it, as she recommended her 'friend' to Sean...

I was ready to give her a list of artists I go to along with cards, which I keep for all of my artists, until she started to solicit me tattoos out of a van. I felt kind of disrespected by it, as if I would get a tattoo out of a van. I didn't feel like telling a 40 year old off or telling her how stupid it was to keep doing so, because I don't like to start trouble with customers at my bar.

A coworker showed off his tattoo today. Some shitty crab and moon tattoo. I guess he saw my tattoo on my shin and thought it was cool to show his. I really don't ever relate to people with tattoos in the areas that I frequent, because everyone is so small town. It's okay, though. I relate in other ways, and that's fine with me. That doesn't mean that I don't think about escaping this suburb every day.

I was ready to give her a list of artists I go to along with cards, which I keep for all of my artists, until she started to solicit me tattoos out of a van. I felt kind of disrespected by it, as if I would get a tattoo out of a van. I didn't feel like telling a 40 year old off or telling her how stupid it was to keep doing so, because I don't like to start trouble with customers at my bar.

There are people who I purposely don't tell what shops I go to.

I have never really gotten any dumb questions from non-tattooed folks. Oddly enough, the most annoying people to me are those with one or two tattoos.

I seem to have a ton of people with 1-2 tiny hidden tattoos thst want to tell me how they "would totally get full sleeves if they could".

Also, there are the people who insist on telling me the deep meaning behind their tiny, poorly-done tattoo. "Yeah, this tribal sun represents all the fun times in my life and reminds me to always keep my mind on the love that flows throughout the universe like the warm rays of the sun."

Meh.

• 4 weeks later...

After spending the weekend with lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins I have a new "plainskin" comment to share: "What is it?"

Are my tattoos really that shitty and unreadable that you can't see a snake/rose, demo head, or a skull??? Does a person need some basic knowledge of tattoo imagery to easily recognize the image?

Also I was told the thigh is a very girly place to get a tattoo.

And tattoo inks are filled with carcinogenic poisons.

New one while drawing up some lettering on the spot, since I hadn't had time to do it ahead of time...

"If you don't have time to do it today, we can wait... I know how it goes being busy. I mean, we're pretty much in the same industry... I'm a massage therapist..."

Huh. Also, had the lettering ready in about ten minutes, and finished with 20 minutes left in the appointment. You know, since I didn't have time to do it that day.

Interesting thread to say the least!

Out of interest a question to the people who are getting negative comments. Where do you live? Here in Australia tattoo's seem so incredibly common theses days I can't imagine people getting much flack for it (well apart from my mum but that's a given haha)